Joe Cole

TrentVilla

£20K a week is the basic according to the reports I can remember seeing.  Not that win bonuses would make much of a difference even if he was playing.  An utter waste of time and money.  Ridiculously dismal signing.

Pretty stupid comment IMO. I think he's a good option and if anything he'll teach a lot of the younger players about professionalism and dedication to training.

A £20k a week motivational speaker?

We had all this "good bloke to have around the youngsters" nonsense when we signed that other hopeless has-been, Grant Holt.  That worked out well.  I'd estimate that Cole will play no more than a dozen games all season, whether starting or coming on as sub.

Do you honestly think that Joe Cole and Grant Holt are similar? Other than both being footballers, I mean.

Don't you remember that screamer Holt scored at the World Cup, the time he won the league with Chelsea, and their player of the season?

Do you honestly think that Joe Cole and Grant Holt are similar? Other than both being footballers, I mean.

Eh? Where on earth have I even implied that? But the fact is that the signing of both players was defended on the basis of them having a positive influence on the younger players. It's desperate nonsense in an attempt to defend yet another piss poor piece of business.

Eh? Where on earth have I even implied that? But the fact is that the signing of both players was defended on the basis of them having a positive influence on the younger players. It's desperate nonsense in an attempt to defend yet another piss poor piece of business.

So you know for a fact that they haven't had a positive influence? Yeah thought not.

Piss poor comment desperately trying to bad mouth the club at any opportunity.

2 years at 20k a week is what? £2million?

I'm not saying that's not a waste of money if he doesn't play (but I think he will play) but we've wasted far far more money than that on transfers alone in the recent past.

Relatively speaking, it's not much.

It isn't much but then, if he doesn't have much impact, it's another small fee to add to the other small fees we've paid out to players that havent done much. And all of a sudden its looking like a lot of wasted money.

So you know for a fact that they haven't had a positive influence? Yeah thought not.

What has this positive impact done?

• Like 1

Post on poster.  I don't, and indeed, don't need to "bad mouth the club at any opportunity".

Post on poster.  I don't, and indeed, don't need to "bad mouth the club at any opportunity".

But you do anyway,

But you do anyway,

No I don't.  Praise where's it's due, and we had a good start.  Since then though, it's just a continuation of the dismal form of the last two seasons as we yet again tailspin downwards.  I think Richardson has done OK since coming in, and Sanchez should be OK once he's up to speed.  Cole though, is a hopeless signing, and I'm not entirely sure why people are pretending otherwise.

I actually liked what Cole had to say upon joining and it did genuinely sound like he has come here for footballing reasons. It's clearly too early in his Villa career to know how exactly he'll be used but if by the end of the season he has barely been used then we will be well within our rights to chalk it down as a pointless signing and a waste of resources. Him giving one or two pointers to the youngsters will not excuse that.

• Like 1

Not sure how him being helpful to some of the younger players has any relevance really. We signed him as a footballer not a coach. I'll wait to judge him on that but I don't think he'll play enough games for us to justify the 2 mill outlay on wages. 

• Like 2

He did ok when he came on against Everton, but the game had been killed after Guzan's flap.

I liked some of his play against Leyton orient and felt that if there had been more space in front of him then we'd have been the better for it. That said, he looked knackered pretty early on, so whether his fitness has improved I don't know.

£20K a week is the basic according to the reports I can remember seeing. Not that win bonuses would make much of a difference even if he was playing. An utter waste of time and money. Ridiculously dismal signing.

Pretty stupid comment IMO. I think he's a good option and if anything he'll teach a lot of the younger players about professionalism and dedication to training.

When did we sign Tony Blair?
  • Like 1

Lost a few games so someone was going to get it.

Joe Cole is an easy target so yep let's moan about his impact.

Never mind the fact he signed a two year deal and we are in October ffs, let's write him off.

He was a free transfer, brought in to be a squad player. .

We didn't shell out up to £10m on him like clubs below us have on shite like Rodwell, Fer, Cabella and that donkey West Brom signed.

I don't know what people expected, from a player who was effectively a punt. We don't have the funds.

I still have faith he can play a part, have an impact on the pitch and provide us with something we have sorely lacked in the creativity department.

Over the value of his contract he is probably costing us less than the individual fees and wages of, say, Luna, Sylla, Bennett, Tonev etc...but all people see is a few losses on the bounce and a high profile player, an easy target so let's slag him. It's pathetic really..

He is an easy target because he is well past his best, and is almost constantly injured, and being a high profile player does not mean he is immune from criticism.

He is up there with Holt and Bowery for baffling signings. As for comparing him cost wise with Luna, etc., they were signed by Lambert, and that only compounds the poor value he achieved in many cases considering the paucity of his budget.

No he isn't. Bowery was a no hoper from League 2 who couldn't score for Chesterfield. Joe Cole is one of the most gifted English midfielders of the last fifteen years, it's not remotely similar. 

We're only two months or eight games into the first season. 

£20K a week is the basic according to the reports I can remember seeing. Not that win bonuses would make much of a difference even if he was playing. An utter waste of time and money. Ridiculously dismal signing.

When did we sign Tony Blair?

You think Blair gets out of bed for £20k?

No he isn't. Bowery was a no hoper from League 2 who couldn't score for Chesterfield. Joe Cole is was one of the most gifted English midfielders of the last fifteen years, it's not remotely similar. 

Was.  That's the whole point.  We haven't bought the Joe Cole who was a Champions League regular, we've got the one deemed surplus to requirements by Sam Allardyce.

• Like 1

Lost a few games so someone was going to get it.

Joe Cole is an easy target so yep let's moan about his impact.

Never mind the fact he signed a two year deal and we are in October ffs, let's write him off.

He was a free transfer, brought in to be a squad player. .

We didn't shell out up to £10m on him like clubs below us have on shite like Rodwell, Fer, Cabella and that donkey West Brom signed.

I don't know what people expected, from a player who was effectively a punt. We don't have the funds.

I still have faith he can play a part, have an impact on the pitch and provide us with something we have sorely lacked in the creativity department.

Over the value of his contract he is probably costing us less than the individual fees and wages of, say, Luna, Sylla, Bennett, Tonev etc...but all people see is a few losses on the bounce and a high profile player, an easy target so let's slag him. It's pathetic really..

He is an easy target because he is well past his best, and is almost constantly injured, and being a high profile player does not mean he is immune from criticism.

He is up there with Holt and Bowery for baffling signings. As for comparing him cost wise with Luna, etc., they were signed by Lambert, and that only compounds the poor value he achieved in many cases considering the paucity of his budget.

No he isn't. Bowery was a no hoper from League 2 who couldn't score for Chesterfield. Joe Cole is one of the most gifted English midfielders of the last fifteen years, it's not remotely similar. 

We are talking about the present, not the past.  

Not sure how him being helpful to some of the younger players has any relevance really. We signed him as a footballer not a coach. I'll wait to judge him on that but I don't think he'll play enough games for us to justify the 2 mill outlay on wages. 

This absolutely. We signed him to play football, not to have an influence on the younger players.

It seems ridiculous to try to defend his minimal impact on the field to date on this basis.

• Like 1

Read a football biography once in a while and in pretty much everyone you will find a story of how a senior pro at the club, who had seen and done it all provided them with advice, guidance,or taught them what it takes to get to be a professional, to perform at the highest level.

I am not saying that is all Cole is here for, but it plays a part.

No he isn't. Bowery was a no hoper from League 2 who couldn't score for Chesterfield. Joe Cole is was one of the most gifted English midfielders of the last fifteen years, it's not remotely similar. 

Was.  That's the whole point.  We haven't bought the Joe Cole who was a Champions League regular, we've got the one deemed surplus to requirements by Sam Allardyce.

I'm not even sure Joe Cole in his prime would have found his way into a fat Sam team.

I'm not even sure Joe Cole in his prime would have found his way into a fat Sam team.

Why?  Allardyce has had players like Okocha and Campo, both at least as talented as Cole.

Why?  Allardyce has had players like Okocha and Campo, both at least as talented as Cole.

Ivan Campo, as talented as Joe Cole.

Okay.

Â