Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

Anyone listened to Chris Waddles rant? Spot on imo.

Said what we all think pretty much, we select players on the team they play for instead of how well they will complement each other.

Totally agree. Danny Wellbeck is a useful player. But not on the wing, FFS! If you're going to play Danny Wellbeck, play him upfront as a target man. He was completely neutered yesterday by the manager.

Hodgson couldn't take Terry.

He's retired from international football.

There was a lot of rumours in the months before the world cup that Terry was willing to come out of international retirement and if i remember correctly Hodgson quick came out and said he wasnt willing to take him

The performances in this world cup were better then South Africa, although the results were not as good. That Algeria 0-0 was the worst I have seen England play in a tournament whether it be world cup or Euro. It was even worse then 1-4 against ze Germans. 

As per another poster has stated are we the only team at the world cup whose players are only drawn from teams playing in their home league?

Possibly, but we are also the only country in the world with the Premier League. Less incentive/need to travel abroad for fame and fortune.

As per another poster has stated are we the only team at the world cup whose players are only drawn from teams playing in their home league?

Didn't capello make a point of only picking Russians playing in the Russian league?

Zatman will know the answer to this. A walking football encyclopedia. Has a team ever lost 2 group games, but still gone through, in a world cup or Euro? I can't remember that happening.

Not sure about Euros, but it's never happened in a world cup.

Ireland got through on 3 points in 1990 IIRC. That was 3 draws though I think

Also a 24 team format which meant three teams could progress from a group.

Which is what Euro 2016 is going to become. Never a fan of a third place team getting through in a group stage. 

The quality of co-commentators from both BBC and ITV has never been worse than it has been this WC.

Phil Neville, Robbie Savage, Andy Townsend, Mark **** Lawrenson, Clarke Carlisle, Martin Keown, Kevin Kilbane... 

Jesus wept.

Zatman will know the answer to this. A walking football encyclopedia. Has a team ever lost 2 group games, but still gone through, in a world cup or Euro? I can't remember that happening.

Not sure about Euros, but it's never happened in a world cup.

Ireland got through on 3 points in 1990 IIRC. That was 3 draws though I think

Also a 24 team format which meant three teams could progress from a group.

Yeah true. They still went through in second though, just googled it.

I know people have fond memories of Italia 90 because of how England (and Ireland) did.

But reading about it, it sounds like a **** boring tournament.

I know looking at stats Italia 90 does look dull... and it was one of the key reasons the backpass rule was introduced.

But the tournament was wonderful... its hard to describe, I guess it was the presence of a good England team that helped massively. For most on here, its their favourite World Cup. 

At least we won a game and drew a couple in South Africa.

We had a piss easy group in South Africa.. and still laboured to qualify! 

The quality of co-commentators from both BBC and ITV has never been worse than it has been this WC.

Phil Neville, Robbie Savage, Andy Townsend, Mark **** Lawrenson, Clarke Carlisle, Martin Keown, Kevin Kilbane... 

Jesus wept.

I thought Jesus Wept was pretty good ......... great analysing the crosses

Jesus wept.

I thought Jesus Wept was pretty good ......... great analysing the crosses

Nailed on for the final