Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

I thought England played well and a draw was the fair result, pity we didn't get it as the pressure is on now.

England weren't tactically naive as Italy didn't open us up or get behind at every opportunity because we held a decent shape.

I do agree that Gerrard as Captain was conspicuous by his absence.

Italy are miles better than Uruguay and Costa Rica so if England play well we should go through but I'm worried about Suarez!

There's a nice crop of youngsters coming through for England right now, and yet the media is still so singularly focused on "Rooney having to deliver."

I think, given the current squad, it is definitely possible for England to play well without him.

I'd play Sterling, Barkley etc ahead of him atm.

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

I think the same.

I think italy will go out. I think they're overrated and I think we'll pip them.

Obviously could be totally wrong, but that's what I'd put my money on. We'll beat them tomorrow.

I think the opposite, nobody seems to rate them and lot of people have Uruguay going through ahead of them. Uruguay I think are being overrated when they are an old creaking team who peak was 2010-11

think ive called this OK so far ;)

still think England will get result vs Uruguay

Yep.

I could easily have been right though :D

What I mean is I'd argue England were the better team. Certainly created more chances. Italy were just more clinical and experienced though and I think you're right, they'll go through top now.

Am staggered by people suggesting England should have got a draw. An understrength Italian side hit post and bar and Jagielka had to clear one off the line. I think the media have egged up England's performance a lot here, the Italians played to their style comfortably (probably not emerging from 3rd gear) and got the job done. If this was Villa people would be saying it was a comfortable win (although such a thing doesn't exist under Lambert)

I was a little peeved by the amount of neutrals in the ground who seemed to want Italy to win.

a lot fo Brazilians have Italian heritage so maybe this was what made them cheer for Italy

Plus Italy is a bigger name so for the neutral they'd probably be favoured.

Like if Brazil played, I dunno, France in the world cup in Russia, I bet a lot more neutrals would support Brazil.

Am staggered by people suggesting England should have got a draw. An understrength Italian side hit post and bar and Jagielka had to clear one off the line. I think the media have egged up England's performance a lot here, the Italians played to their style comfortably (probably not emerging from 3rd gear) and got the job done. If this was Villa people would be saying it was a comfortable win (although such a thing doesn't exist under Lambert)

I will be surprised to see England get out of this group now. I agree that it looked like Italy could just move up another gear had we equalised again? And look at the fitness of the teams? England's young players were pulling up with cramp towards the end, was Pirlo or DeRossi?

Cahill and Jagelka are to similar, Johnson and Baines aren't good enough when defending, Gerrard and Rooney the senior players were ineffective but Hodgson is too scared to drop them. We missed Cole at LB, we miss Terry (hate to say this as he is a horrible man) alongside Cahill, we are shoe horning in Rooney just to play him.  

The like of Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana and Barkley were positives but they need the senior players to perform with them and Stevie G and Wayney have not pulled their weight at World Cups before so they are not going to now?

I will be surprised to see England get out of this group now. I agree that it looked like Italy could just move up another gear had we equalised again? And look at the fitness of the teams? England's young players were pulling up with cramp towards the end, was Pirlo or DeRossi?

BUt the two teams play completely differently.

England play a high tempo fast game. italy play a slow paced possession game.

England aren't a possession based team. Hodgson can't change that over night. But that's why we cramped up and they didn't, because we played at a higher tempo.

We played well. We created more chances than any other team has so far. We just weren't very clinical.

On another day we could have won. That's not good enough to say we deserved to win, but I personally think it's good enough to suggest we have a good chance against the two weaker teams in the group

• Like 1

Plus Italy is a bigger name so for the neutral they'd probably be favoured.

Like if Brazil played, I dunno, France in the world cup in Russia, I bet a lot more neutrals would support Brazil.

could be just because they are playing France ;)

BUt the two teams play completely differently.

England play a high tempo fast game. italy play a slow paced possession game.

England aren't a possession based team. Hodgson can't change that over night. But that's why we cramped up and they didn't, because we played at a higher tempo.

We played well. We created more chances than any other team has so far. We just weren't very clinical.

On another day we could have won. That's not good enough to say we deserved to win, but I personally think it's good enough to suggest we have a good chance against the two weaker teams in the group

Yes but on another day and a couple of inches another way and Italy could have scored instead of hitting the post, the bar and having one cleared off the line? Then we would have been on the end of a 5:1? All if buts and maybes?

In the second half as the game went on Italy looked more comfortable and England looked more predictable. We bought on Barkley who was largely squeezed out the game by a desperate Rooney or Johnson moving in from the right to hit a left foot shot into row Z. 

If you think a Uruguay with Suarez and Costa Rica are easy then you are disillusioned?   

Yes there are plenty of maybes, but if you can't see the difference between this England side and the ones of, I dunno, the last 10-15 years then this debate is going nnowhere.

They could have lost 5-1 sure, they could have won by the same score on another day. It was a cracking game of football perpetuated by two good teams who with any luck should advance beyond the group.

Nobody is underestimating Uruguay and Costa Rica, I don't think. England could go home, absolutely. But if they continue to play like that then they go hone with high heads and a great base to build on for 2016. I think the FA will stick with Roy and he'll stick with the core of this side and we'll go into that tournament as one of the favourites.

Also I don't think Stevo suggested England were great for the full 90. They did tire and Italy shut up shop as they do. Even then we missed a few opportunities, maybe our best of the game.

Regardless what we think performance wise, England are decent, likeable and supportable again. We should relish this.

if we dont win of the 3 games roy should go regardless of how well we played. we shouyld be qualifying from this group its not the toughest at all not syaing we are a great side. but no excuses if we cant win one of these three games