Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Word from the training ground is that a number of "senior players" had complained about his attitude and were blaming him for certain "issues" within the camp ..... but I have no idea what they are.

It definitely is NOT a move that has anything to do with Ireland ..... he was pushed !

Not true.

Very true actually !!!

So the players were upset that Roy Keane lost his head after the QPR game?

If they're not happy about a coach being angry after that performance then something isn't right.

Dunno, really, I imagine when Keane goes off on one it's automatically worth a complaint. He seems pretty vicious and vile when worked up.

Word from the training ground is that a number of "senior players" had complained about his attitude and were blaming him for certain "issues" within the camp ..... but I have no idea what they are.

It definitely is NOT a move that has anything to do with Ireland ..... he was pushed !

Not true.

Very true actually !!!

We've got an ITK-off!  Grab a chair!  ;)

What makes you so certain, Paul?

• Like 2

So the players were upset that Roy Keane lost his head after the QPR game?

If they're not happy about a coach being angry after that performance then something isn't right.

Dunno, really, I imagine when Keane goes off on one it's automatically worth a complaint. He seems pretty vicious and vile when worked up.
Just seems a but weird that fans are annoyed every time Lambert says we were excellent when we weren't. People are clamouring for him to give the players some stick.

Then Roy Keane has apparently given them some (very deserving) stick and people are against it?

They all deserved a **** slap after the QPR game, IMO, so I could t really care less what Keane said to them.

• Like 3

If it's true about him offering to say until a replacement is found but the club allowing him to leave for 'family reasons' then that makes me wonder.

Trust me it is, what I've posted in this thread is what happened.

Don't worry I trust you, I was just thinking something really serious must be going on with his family for us to let him leave so easily or we weren't very impressed with the job he was doing. Hopefully everything is okay with his family.

Despite all the bad press our club has been dignified in many sensitive aspects such as Petrov's illness and Herd's unavailability at the tail end of last season. There are few leaks to the press which then leaves us open to conjecture.

It is plausible that there is a genuine reason for the sudden departure of Keane which neither party feels the need to disclose in public, and if this is the case then we should respect the reasons for the lack of comment.

Roy Keane quit Aston Villa after row at training ground with senior players

By Laurie Whitwell for the Daily Mail

Roy Keane was involved in a training-ground row with Aston Villa players 24 hours before his sudden exit from the club.

Keane left Villa Park after five months as Paul Lambert’s assistant on Friday claiming he could no longer combine the job with his role as No 2 to Republic of Ireland boss Martin O’Neill.

But Sportsmail understands that tensions between Keane and several senior players have been simmering for some time. A club insider said there was a bust-up at their Bodymoor Heath training ground on Thursday which began during the session and is thought to have continued afterwards.

Keane and Lambert are said to have held talks later in the day and come to an amicable decision that it was better for the 43-year-old former Manchester United star to leave. The Villa players were informed of Keane’s exit by text message shortly before the club issued a statement.

The official reason that Keane was leaving to focus on his international commitments has been questioned in some quarters because Ireland do not play again until March.

His relationship with several players is said to have become strained with Keane struggling to accept what he felt was a lack of intensity in training.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2855317/Roy-Keane-quit-Aston-Villa-row-training-ground-senior-players.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

I've felt for a while that the players (sneezy mainly) run the dressing room. 

Disipline has always been a big issue in this team. Don't need to be ITK or a reporter to know that. Gabby bust ups, Lowton issues, lazy Saturdays. I don't like to keep mentioning Lambert in other threads, but it really is another stick to beat him with unfortunately.

• Like 1

I've felt for a while that the players (sneezy mainly) run the dressing room. 

Disipline has always been a big issue in this team. Don't need to be ITK or a reporter to know that. Gabby bust ups, Lowton issues, lazy Saturdays. I don't like to keep mentioning Lambert in other threads, but it really is another stick to beat him with unfortunately.

I'm not so sure about that.

If the problem has been discipline, then getting in somebody like Keane would have been exactly the right thing to do. Help sort out the sooks and whingers and pull them into line. Not sure you can really beat up Lambert over that.

Unfortunately - if the daily mirror reports are true (*snigger*) - it seems player power has won out. Expect more "conceded in the last 10 minutes" results against us despite Lambert's best efforts

If the problem has been discipline, then getting in somebody like Keane would have been exactly the right thing to do. Help sort out the sooks and whingers and pull them into line. Not sure you can really beat up Lambert over that.

We are talking about the same Roy Keane who lost the dressing room at Sunderland. Being characteristically 'no-nonsense' doesn't in itself make you a good man-manager and/or disciplinarian.

We are talking about the same Roy Keane who lost the dressing room at Sunderland. Being characteristically 'no-nonsense' doesn't in itself make you a good man-manager and/or disciplinarian.

Perhaps not. I'm not really a fan of Keane.

But, then, "discipline" is not a new problem at Villa either:

- MON pandered to players. Our fitness was laughable under him.

- Dunne and Collins (amongst others) under Houllier

- Rumours of "Poison in the dressing room" under McLeish

- Problems with Karsa and Culverhouse under Lambert

- Problems with discipline and Keane under Lambert

• Like 2

But, then, "discipline" is not a new problem at Villa either:

- MON pandered to players. Our fitness was laughable under him.

- Dunne and Collins (amongst others) under Houllier

- Rumours of "Poison in the dressing room" under McLeish

- Problems with Karsa and Culverhouse under Lambert

- Problems with discipline and Keane under Lambert

That list seems to contain a lot of very different issues - not sure you can claim it all points to a single"discipline" problem

The MON allegation isn't about discipline at all, it's about fitness (and it's a while since I've made this point, but those gasping, wheezing, overweight players did get us sixth place three times in a row - oh golden days!)

Houllier disrespected the senior players and they disrespected him back

Karsa and Culverhouse wasn't a "discipline" problem as I understand it,. They were bullying someone - I thought it was the younger players but someone suggested earlier that it was the junior backroom staff

The only person who seems to have lost his self discipline in the Keane case is Keane himself. As he did with the Irish press a couple of days earlier.

There are just too many rumours around about the Keane "bust up" with players to disbelieve them and accept the line being peddled by the Lambert camp. I worried when he came that he is a hothead who is capable of losing control badly and things would not end well. Fortunately, things have ended a lot better than I feared and he has dipped out early. Probably just worth drawing a veil over his brief stay at the club

• Like 2

How did he disrespect the players out of interest? By asking them to train harder and move closer to Bodymoor Heath?

Edited by Isa

The MON allegation isn't about discipline at all, it's about fitness (and it's a while since I've made this point, but those gasping, wheezing, overweight players did get us sixth place three times in a row - oh golden days!)

At the risk of dragging the thread off-topic, how can you ignore the obvious fitness issues that were present under O'Neill? Yes they finished in the coveted 6th place several times but we also collapsed in March every season without fail because O'Neill couldn't rotate his squad (or build a squad for that matter). Even opposition players knew how to exploit this.

How did he disrespect the players out of interest? By asking them to train harder and move closer to Bodymoor Heath?
Apart from his chum Pires who was allowed a daily taxi to get him from his flat In the Emirates complex to BH. Edited by briny_ear

Â