Roy Keane

TrentVilla

He has been appointed as the assistant manager not the manager.

I'm so glad you wrote this. His record as manager at Sunderland is highly unlikely to be relevant to his aptitude or otherwise for this position. 

Sunderland players celebrate after Roy Keane resigns

By Rob Stewart

9:34PM GMT 04 Dec 2008

Roy Keane's shock departure as Sunderland manager sparked celebration among the players, it emerged on Thursday night.

"He ruled by fear," said one source close to the squad, who added that Keane's hardline management methods had alienated many at the relegation-threatened club.

Keane is understood to have announced his departure by sending club chairman Niall Quinn a text message. Quinn made several attempts to contact Keane to try to change his mind, but his calls and texts went unanswered.

However, Quinn's fears were confirmed when Keane's London-based solicitor, Michael Kennedy, faxed a statement signed by his client to the club on Thursday at lunchtime.

Keane later put out a brief statement which read: "I would like to thank my staff, players, Niall Quinn and, in particular, the fans for their support during my time at Sunderland, and I would like to wish the club every success in the future."

Quinn, who is considering installing Sam Allardyce as Keane's successor, had returned from a short break in Portugal to sort out his fellow Irishman's future. But Keane has not been seen at Sunderland since last Saturday's 4-1 defeat by Bolton and he maintained his distance by staying at the family home in Cheshire, from where he has been commuting to Wearside by helicopter recently.

"After the weekend, without going into too much detail, we gave him a bit of time to himself because everyone hurts after a result like that," Quinn told a media conference. "He was down and we tried to move it along, but we couldn't quite get there.

"He will get a bit of time to himself now and I am sure he will recharge and get going again, and I am sure we all know the Premier League hasn't seen the last of him and he has got great things to come."

Keane did not bother heading to the club's training ground to bid farewell to the players in person.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/3551680/Sunderland-players-celebrate-after-Roy-Keane-resigns-Football.html

“Roy was probably the biggest influence on my career,” Fletcher added. “He would come down hard on me if I ever did anything wrong but he made me realise what it meant to be a Manchester United player. I can remember coming in from training one day and checking my mobile phone for text messages. Well, that was it. He absolutely hammered me, all the way into the gym. He was a great influence, really. If Roy had a go at you, he did it because he cared. He was the best captain you could wish for. He would tear you to shreds on the pitch if you gave away the ball, ‘get your effing touch right, effing this, effing that’ but, as soon as you got into the dressing room, it was over. He was a winner. I’ve met dedicated professionals but he had something else.”

Darren Fletcher on Roy Keane.

Personally I think he is exactly what some of our players need.

This approach works for some, though I fear it to be the exception rather than the rule. There is no doubt he drilled people hard and wanted the best the whole time but in our dressing room I feel he is going to alienate more people than he drives to success.

Yet the person he knows him and knows our dressing room clearly thinks otherwise.

• Like 2

“Roy was probably the biggest influence on my career,” Fletcher added. “He would come down hard on me if I ever did anything wrong but he made me realise what it meant to be a Manchester United player. I can remember coming in from training one day and checking my mobile phone for text messages. Well, that was it. He absolutely hammered me, all the way into the gym. He was a great influence, really. If Roy had a go at you, he did it because he cared. He was the best captain you could wish for. He would tear you to shreds on the pitch if you gave away the ball, ‘get your effing touch right, effing this, effing that’ but, as soon as you got into the dressing room, it was over. He was a winner. I’ve met dedicated professionals but he had something else.”

This approach works for some, though I fear it to be the exception rather than the rule. There is no doubt he drilled people hard and wanted the best the whole time but in our dressing room I feel he is going to alienate more people than he drives to success.
Yet the person he knows him and knows our dressing room clearly thinks otherwise.

But to be fair that person also thought the previous two would be positive for the club.

IMO I don't think the Keane appointment is a negative and I don't believe he's going to bully players. On the flip side I'm not sure what impact he can have on poor players and if tactically, he has different ideas to Lambert.

If one of the best players the premier league who has won the lot gives you a bollocking I think you can accept it as he knows what needs to be done to be a winner. We have a talented squad that badly underperformed last year and if the players can't learn from Keane then that says more about the player than the coach. I'm sure Delph Westwood Gardner etc would relish working with a true great and I'm sure he'll put the shits up Faulkner with that stare and he'll be begging Lerner to release some more funds!!

• Like 1

If one of the best players the premier league who has won the lot gives you a bollocking I think you can accept it as he knows what needs to be done to be a winner. We have a talented squad that badly underperformed last year and if the players can't learn from Keane then that says more about the player than the coach.

I'm not sure that's true. I don't think it's enough to just say "I was a great player so listen to me."

If that was the case then surely all the best managers and coaches would be past top class players.

• Like 1

And of course he has done nothing so far to earn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his judgement.

We will never really know if Keane has been a good appointment, just like we don't really know who did what on the coaching/tactics front when Culverhouse was here.

Of course there will be meaningless platitudes from within the club about what a great contribution he is making, and some will be eager to credit any improvement in the team or an individual player's form to Keane even if there is no basis for that.

I'm not a fan of his myself, but let's hope he brings some positives.

Personally I think that the main reason why a lot of good players don't become good managers is that when they become forceful over certain ideas, certain players decide to shut up shop and sulk a little. We've all seen players in the past who think they're bigger than the club, or can't be professional enough to take a bollocking on the chin and just get on with their job.

Hardly makes him immune from making mistakes.

If one of the best players the premier league who has won the lot gives you a bollocking I think you can accept it as he knows what needs to be done to be a winner. We have a talented squad that badly underperformed last year and if the players can't learn from Keane then that says more about the player than the coach.

I'm not sure that's true. I don't think it's enough to just say "I was a great player so listen to me."

If that was the case then surely all the best managers and coaches would be past top class players.

Indeed.. "I was therefore I am" line doesn't quite cut it for me.

This is going to make Mcleish and Houllier look like inspired, astute management decisions.

Seriously Randy Lerner, wtf are you thinking?

To be fair on Randy, it is Lambert who wanted Keane appointed so if it does turn out bad (or good), he is to blame (or praise).

This is going to make Mcleish and Houllier look like inspired, astute management decisions.

Seriously Randy Lerner, wtf are you thinking?

Think you'll find this was  Lamberts decision,,

When do people reckon he'll be our caretaker manager for a bit?

I'll go for December.

From Lambert walking or being sacked? I do think we will be bottom by then but expect Lambert to still be in charge.

God knows how long Keane will be around.

Is there anyone really thinking Lambert's going to survive this season?

First of all his contract, it's running out. How many managers usually manage during a season when it just trickles down and eventually run out, they either quit or get sacked. No chance of an extension imo given the eventual change of ownership.

Secondly crowd situation. We are woeful at home and with the sorry state the club is in, it won't take much for the Holte end to be openly in revolt and Lambert will be an easy target given an empty directors box. I give it 3 bad home results before we have McLeish Bolton type abuse.

So with all that it stands to reason someone else at the club with premier league managerial experience will logically be asked to take charge for a while so Keane being in charge at some point this season is a certainty in my mind.

Hardly makes him immune from making mistakes.

No but personally I'd rather wait and see than assume I know better than him about the workings of our dressing room.

• Like 1

Â