Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

It's not the first choice 11 that worries people its the squad and if you actually look at it without any kind of villa bias it is incredibly poor and were definitely be a contender for relegation in my opinion. Add to that our manager who in mine and a lot of peoples opinion just isn't up to the job and has shown that in the previous two seasons he hasn't been able to motivate and set up the squad to have anything over than the odd win every 5-6 games.

If we're taken over before august and any new owner gives Lambert or better yet someone else at least 20m for 1-2 top targets then that'd make all the difference but i don't see that happening. I really hope Lerner is keeping the finances tight in case we might be sold and then if it comes to august he might throw a few million in because he must know he's taking a gamble on our future in this league as it stands?

home.png
Guzan

home.png
Hutton
home.png
Okore
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Luna

home.png
Delph
home.png
Westwood

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Cole
home.png
Gabby

home.png
Kozak

As things stand, I expect us to line up something like that for our first game. Good enough to stay up IMO.

I'd be shocked if we got more than 40 points next season. That side is very very poor. It'll be touch and go whether we can stay up or not and that's even if we get another 1 or 2 loan's/free transfers.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

I'm just glad we have this fantastic World Cup to focus on instead.

I've not been focusing on Villa at all this summer and my mental health has improved immensely.

• Like 1

home.png
Guzan

home.png
Hutton
home.png
Okore
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Luna

home.png
Delph
home.png
Westwood

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Cole
home.png
Gabby

home.png
Kozak

As things stand, I expect us to line up something like that for our first game. Good enough to stay up IMO.

I'd be shocked if we got more than 40 points next season. That side is very very poor. It'll be touch and go whether we can stay up or not and that's even if we get another 1 or 2 loan's/free transfers.

We'll get overun on the flanks or bossed in the midfield depending on who we face.

Our squad is soo badly balanced it's shocking, and the starting 11 regardless how it's put together will have gaping flaws for the opponents to exploit. Granted we'll have few games when they fail to do so, but will it be enough of them this season?

I fear it will not

home.png
Guzan

home.png
Hutton
home.png
Okore
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Luna

home.png
Delph
home.png
Westwood

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Cole
home.png
Gabby

home.png
Kozak

Id raher see CNZ for Wiemann and Bent for Kozak if I'm honest

If Lambert doesn't go with attacking full-backs, and just picks a defence that can defend, I wouldn't mind seeing Clark or Baker at leftback. Baker, Okore, Vlaar, Lowton. It doesn't look too bad, for a team with no money to spend. Baker/Clark did okay there when Warnock couldn't get in the team, and though they're fairly calamitous in the centre, on the left they'll be under less pressure, and certainly a step up (defensively) from Bennett and Luna.

home.png
Guzan

home.png
Hutton
home.png
Okore
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Luna

home.png
Delph
home.png
Westwood

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Cole
home.png
Gabby

home.png
Kozak

Houston, we have a full-back problem.

The issue is even our first choice team was capable of losing to anyone from any league repeatedly/predictably and that was what really grates about Lambert as a manager.

Any team is capable to losing to anyone.

We already had a squad packed with players of insufficient quality for Premier League football. We have decided to add to this cohort Joe Cole and Phil Senderos.

It’s a complete joke.

13 of our first team squad do not have the ability to play Premier League football. Tonev, Baker, Helenius, Luna, Steer, Lowton, Bent, Hutton, Stevens, Senderos, Cole, Sylla, Herd and Given.

The jury is still out on El Ahmadi, Clarke and Bennet and N’Zogbia  

We’re left with Guzan, Vlaar, Okore, Bacuna, Weimann, Gabby, Westwood, Delph, Kozak and Benteke.

Out of that Vlaar and Benteke are the only who might have better prospects than being a squad player in a struggling Premier League side.

I do have high hopes for a few our of youngsters however the bulk of our squad are relegation fodder.  

I hate being negative but

WE ARE THAT BAD

The issue is even our first choice team was capable of losing to anyone from any league repeatedly/predictably and that was what really grates about Lambert as a manager.

Any team is capable to losing to anyone.

true.... except Justice League

We already had a squad packed with players of insufficient quality for Premier League football. We have decided to add to this cohort Joe Cole and Phil Senderos.

It’s a complete joke.

13 of our first team squad do not have the ability to play Premier League football. Tonev, Baker, Helenius, Luna, Steer, Lowton, Bent, Hutton, Stevens, Senderos, Cole, Sylla, Herd and Given.

The jury is still out on El Ahmadi, Clarke and Bennet and N’Zogbia  

We’re left with Guzan, Vlaar, Okore, Bacuna, Weimann, Gabby, Westwood, Delph, Kozak and Benteke.

Out of that Vlaar and Benteke are the only who might have better prospects than being a squad player in a struggling Premier League side.

I do have high hopes for a few our of youngsters however the bulk of our squad are relegation fodder.  

I hate being negative but

WE ARE THAT BAD

We have a few players who haven't played enough to pass judgement and some promising youngsters but those aside Benteke, Delph, Guzan and Vlaar are the only players you can definitely say are of Prem quality.

Cole might be an asset if he stays fit

On the subject of the overall quality of our squad, yes, it is really that bad. We haven't finished where we have for the last 4 years by freak accident, we don't have a very good team. Most of the players aren't good enough to thrive in the division, only Benteke and Vlaar are genuinely excellent, everybody else is very flawed. By position:

GK: Guzan, Steer, Given  - Guzan is good enough. His back-ups aren't, and if there's an injury to Guzan we'll be in big trouble. We don't have enough resources to bring in a capable backup, so that's it. 

RB: Bacuna, Lowton, Hutton, Herd - Bacuna isn't a good right back. He's athletic enough to recover from most of his mistakes, so he won't be a priority to replace. Lowton will continue to be used as a replacement on those occasions Bacuna plays in midfield. Hutton wasn't good 3 years ago, it's doubtful he's improved a lot training with the kids. Herd won't play. 

CB: Vlaar, Okore, Senderos, Clark, Baker, Herd - Vlaar is a very good PL centre-back, we have to hope we don't lose him. Senderos will start the season ahead of Okore in my opinion, Okore will be eased back from injury and may not be 2nd choice anyway. Clark is adequate back-up. Baker should be spending a season-long loan in the Championship, on the firm understanding that he needs to show promise this season, but that won't happen. He'll probably play ahead of Clark, as Lambert likes him more. Herd won't play. 

LB: Luna, Bennett, Clark, Baker - Clearly the weakest department on the pitch. We're led to believe there's a small amount of money available for transfers, and I can't believe we won't see a new LB, either signed or on a long-term loan. Luna and Bennett haven't looked up to it consistently. Unless one has improved considerably in training, they aren't fit to be starters. The number of options at CB probably increase the chances of Clark or Baker playing here in games where Cole plays and creativity is expected to come from the centre. 

CM: Delph, Westwood, KEA, Bacuna, Gardner, Sylla - if Delph stays, there's no reason to assume big changes from last season here. Cole's age and fitness problems will mean we still play 4-3-3 a lot of the time, especially on the road at big teams. The first 3 midfielders all have good qualities on paper, but there's no getting away from the fact they haven't been good enough for 2 seasons. They sit deep, but don't retain possession well. A lot of our problems stem from this position. Lowton moving in at RB will be preferred to any other squad option when changes need to be made. Gardner might play a little, but is probably lacking form and fitness. Sylla is unhappy and wants to leave, so it depends whether anyone wants him. Herd won't play. 

Wings: N'Zogbia, Tonev, Grealish - the only reason this isn't the weakest area of the squad is that we play without them so often. CNZ might never be the same after his injury. Tonev should play more, as he seemed more composed towards the end of last season, but I feel like he may be considered beyond redemption. Grealish is 16(?) and not surely not ready to play a big part this season (really should be on loan to the Championship). 

AM: Cole - will play no more than 50% of games. Major form and fitness concern, but he does have skill if we use him properly. 

FW: Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Kozak, Bent, Robinson, Helenius - Benteke is obviously great, but will only play half a season. Will he be as good when he recovers? Gabby will play most of the time, whether he should or not, and will probably continue to be amazing 10% of the time. Weimann should play more as a striker while Benteke is out, he sucks on the touchline, but is much better in the middle. Kozak will probably play there though, when he recovers. Bent will probably be sold. Robinson should be on loan, but won't be. Helenius won't play, and may well be sold. 

Overall, it ain't a pretty sight. It's no good to say 'if the first team stay fit most of the time, we'll be fine' because 1) they won't anyway, and 2) the first eleven isn't that good. Our range of options at LB and on the wings wouldn't be good enough for the Championship. 

Â