Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

I don't think our team is that bad. I honestly think that a different manager (or different tactics) could achieve a fairly comfortable mid-table finish with our squad. Guzan, Vlaar, Okore, Delph, Delph, Gabby, N'Zogbia, Bent, Weimann, Lowton etc, none of them are bad players. Even Bent, is a good option to have on the bench, if we're chasing a goal and want to try a different approach in the closing minutes.

• Like 3

We must surely have a pretty sizeable squad now? Not saying its amazing but Hutton, N'zo, Benteke, Kozak, Okore, Bent, Gardner, Herd returning and then you've got the new signings plus the youngsters like Grealish etc to supplement the squad.

Obviously expect some departures and maybe 1 or 2 more new signings but our 11 is ok actually its just about how many of them we actually keep fit and playing.

Despite our poor form, poor finish and poor budget, strangely, our squad is looking fairly healthy. Good GK options in Guzan, Given, Steer. A decent first-choice defensive partnership, with 2 'youngsters' and an older backup. 2 half-decent rightback options, with Bacuna being a versatile 3rd option. Weimann, Gabby, N'Zogbia, Benteke, Kozak, Cole and Bent as forward options. Not to mention Grealish, Gardner, Carruthers and Donacien on the fringes. I'd say that the only area that we're actually lacking depth AND (a bit of) quality is leftback and CM. Delph, KEA and Westwood could be good, but the latter two could also easily flop on their arses.

Squad depth is the main reason that we're seen as a 'poor' team. The first choice, full strength starting XI is okay IMO. It's not amazing, but it's perfectly capable of a mid-table finish if all the players are playing to the best of their ability. It's when we lose even just a single player from that starting line-up that we see how vulnerable we are. Hopefully it'll be a little better now that Bent and N'zogbia etc are back and we have a couple of experienced players on the bench. With a couple more signings hopefully coming in, at least we'll have a bit more depth and options, especially when the inevitable injury crisis happens.

First game of season with this squad

Guzan

Hutton vlaar okore Luna

Westwood delph

Nzogbia cole agbonlahor

Bent

That's good enough to stay up comfortably if you ask me

2 Full backs and a striker and the first 11 would be solid and looks quite exciting up front tbh.

Lerner is not the business man he thinks he is.  Add some depth to the squad in terms of quality and who knows what could happen (And improve the chances of selling us but he likes the relegation battles so what can we do. 

So as it stands, we currently have on our books:

GK - Guzan, Given, Steer - No need for further signings in this area IMO

LB - Luna, Bennett, Stevens - Definately an area that needs strenghtening

RB - Lowton, Bacuna, Hutton - Could be improved but not at the top of the list

CB - Vlaar, Okore, Senderos, Baker, Clark, Donacien - Ok on paper, hopefully an injury free season ahead

CM - Delph, Westwood, KEA, Gardner, Herd, Sylla - Sadly lacks depth and needs an 'enforcer' type to sit in midfield

AM - Cole, N'Zogbia, Tonev, Carruthers, Grealish - Certainly needs adding to IMO

ST - Benteke (inj), Kozak (inj), Gabby, Weimann, Bent, Robinson, Helenius (off?) - Not too shabby once all fit.

For me, essential for us this season are a leftback, midfield destroyer and an attacking midfielder.

So long as we don't suffer injuries as last season, we should be ok.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

The midfield is scarily weak IMO

We also don't play many midfielders either! Max 3 real midfielders, 2 strikers wide who work hard to help out when we don't have the ball too, and 2 fullbacks who push up. If we are going to pick Cole/Grealish/Carruthers (when he gets fit) as part of a 3 , then you are left with 2 central midfielders to do a lot of work. Delph is good enough I reckon and will improve. Westwood is tidy, unspectacular but tidy.

Gardner has a new contract and with Grealish and Carruthers coming in to the frame too (well before Carruthers got crocked anyway) we all of a sudden have some unknown quantities who could really add something. They might not make an impact though. 

It's a tough one with the current formation, I'd like to see all 3 of the youngsters come through, we have added Cole too but perhaps we need to change the shape a bit in order to strengthen in the middle of the park, sacrifice the wide strikers in favour of midfielders and play with 1 up. 

Obviously if we had the sort of money to keep Yaya Toure in cake then it's be different but I think there is soem potential there for us in midfield, but it is just that, there's no proven quality at the peak of their careers...

Take the current odds on relegation take them now as they'll never be this good again this season

I've just had a look - we're a best priced 7/2 for the drop. :o

When was the last time we were that short (especially before the season has started)?

I think we're ok and midtable at best; if our better players stay fit and play to form i.e Benteke, Vlaar, Delph then I expect we should see some improvement.

I do really think that the acquisition of Cole, should he stay fit be very influential. He had a great season at Lille and even last year played over thirty games and scored five for a struggling team.

• Like 2

We have atrotious defensive full backs, a midfield with no balance and absolutely no natural able wide players......our team really is that bad and we haven't moved with footballing times, we're playing football down the middle next year because we have to, perhaps with 5 at the back again, we will be the most predicatable team in the league.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Â