Weekends football 3/4 May

andykeenan

I'm running the numbers in my head and it might actually be financially more lucrative for Cardiff to resign from the Football League and join the Welsh League (assuming they'd not be giving up PL parachute payments) then to play in the Championship.

Then what after 3 seasons? And nobody wanting to watch them?

I'm running the numbers in my head and it might actually be financially more lucrative for Cardiff to resign from the Football League and join the Welsh League (assuming they'd not be giving up PL parachute payments) then to play in the Championship.

15-20 million euro per season from the Champions League most years...

15-20 million euro per season from the Champions League most years...

They get put in to the second qualifying round, not the Champion's League proper - surely they get nowhere near that for just getting in the the qualifying rounds. And with no assurance of actually playing Champions' League football as well as not being prepared for tough games due to only being used to playing the kind of teams that are in the Welsh Premier, it's far from guaranteed that they'd be able to attract players to build a team that would actually qualify.

I've seen a lot of people criticising that tweet. I don't see the problem, it's not like they're taking a dig at Norwich or critising them for playing defensively. And even if they were, the guy who writes their Twitter comments doesn't set the team's tactics.

Valencia are beating Madrid, on course for all 3 dropping points this weekend. Barca 2-2 Getafe, Atletico losing to Levante and Real possibly losing to Valencia, unless they make a come back.

Unreal ending to this league.

And Atlético play Barca on the final day to add to it.

edit: And then there's an equalizer to spoil it all.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

C Ronaldo is so good it is actually disgusting. I think he may be the best player I have seen in my life time. In life you can achieve anything you put your mind to, he said in 2004 he would be the best player in the world one day, and everyone laughed.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 1

They get put in to the second qualifying round, not the Champion's League proper - surely they get nowhere near that for just getting in the the qualifying rounds. And with no assurance of actually playing Champions' League football as well as not being prepared for tough games due to only being used to playing the kind of teams that are in the Welsh Premier, it's far from guaranteed that they'd be able to attract players to build a team that would actually qualify.

They'd have to negotiate three rounds of qualifying, but the qualifying format, since it separates champions of small countries from non-champions of large countries, is easy enough that a club that only gets parachute payments from the PL should be able to recruit a dozen Championship-standard players and be favorites in qualifying.

Getting to the group stage then, thanks to being covered by the massive BT deal (which will probably amount to about 130m euros divided up amongst any British clubs in the group stage in the media pool) would result in a media pool share of about 6m euro, plus 10m for participation and 750k per draw and 1.5m per win in the group stage.

Add in that it's a 50/50 that they get an English club in their group (sell out the Millennium Stadium?) and there's a reasonable probability of 15-20m per year in revenue without needing to invest in squad depth.

Getting through three two-legged ties against clubs with smaller wage bills than the typical Championship club is almost certainly better odds than winning promotion back (especially since in recent times relegated clubs don't bounce back before the parachute payments run out).

C Ronaldo is so good it is actually disgusting. I think he may be the best player I have seen in my life time. In life you can achieve anything you put your mind to, he said in 2004 he would be the best player in the world one day, and everyone laughed.

So if 50 of us VTers had said "I will be the best player in the world one day" when we were all 5, and then tried hard to achieve it and put our minds to it, we all would? Bollocks

No the key difference is he said it when he was 19, already a professional footballer, but a very average one who did ten thousand step overs and had no end product.

No the key difference is he said it when he was 19, already a professional footballer, but a very average one who did ten thousand step overs and had no end product.

Voninjama, I think Con has hacked your password.

• Like 3

Who is Voninjama???  And in 2003/2004 C Ronaldo was an average player. He did not become a top player until 2006, and then in 2009 he went up another level when he moved to Madrid.

Anyone notice Phil Dowd has learned that when a player is through on goal and gets brought down it's a red card (Kaboul). Just a few years too late!

he also sent off a Cardiff player last week for same thing

Who is Voninjama???  And in 2003/2004 C Ronaldo was an average player. He did not become a top player until 2006, and then in 2009 he went up another level when he moved to Madrid.

:huh: he came from a new football environment to join a team built around a striker sop he couldn't have the same shooting freedom he has now. did you not see Euro 2004? he was outstanding in that tournament

Â