Weekends football 3/4 May

andykeenan

I know he came from a different football environment and he was young so it was fully understandable how he wasn't amazing straight away. He had a great debut against Bolton but Manchester United players like Van Nistelrooy and Giggs used to get very frustrated with him. Basically all I'm saying is that C Ronaldo's career can be put into 3 segments. 02-05 average, 06-09 very good/world class, 09-present day out of this world. If you disagree with that assessment then fine.

Edited by Voinjama

id disagree a lot :P. I always find it funny people say Van Nistelrooy and Giggs got frustrated but Keane and Ferguson the hardest taskmasters in the world never had any criticism for Ronaldo which for me is an indication. he was one of few to get off that rant he gave about United on MUTV

• Like 2

He was good when he came to Manure, but Fergie made him play more direct. Ronaldo is probably the hardest worker, and best athlete, in football, so it is no surprise that Keane and co liked him. They absolutely despise unprofessional footballers at that club, unless your name is Wayne Rooney.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

Ronaldo always had that 'something' about him, of course I never expected him to become what he is now though.

For me I have seen some incredible players during my life; Zidane, Ronaldo (Mark I), Ronaldinho, Raul, Figo. That said, I think Cristiano may have eclipsed the lot of them. He is truly one of the greatest to have ever played, he does things that seem impossible and he has done them on all stages against all types of opposition.

I think its difficult comparing players such as Pele or Maradona to players in the game now, simply because of how much the game has changed, but C.Ronaldo has to be up there for me.

Edited by samjp26

I'd say Zidane or Ronaldo for best ever for me. Very different players though. Zidane was probably a better footballer in that he could do things with the ball that others couldn't and his vision of the game is second to none for me. I think Ronaldo is the more effective player though as he has every physical attribute to be such a dominant atacking player and can put the ball in the net in many ways.

Not sure if that even makes sense.

I always had Rivaldo down ahead of Zidane, he was such a talent and think he wasted last good years playing in Greece. think he is still playing in Brazil on same team as his son

id disagree a lot :P. I always find it funny people say Van Nistelrooy and Giggs got frustrated but Keane and Ferguson the hardest taskmasters in the world never had any criticism for Ronaldo which for me is an indication. he was one of few to get off that rant he gave about United on MUTV

RVN didn't like Ronaldo and that was one of the reasons why SAF got rid of Ruud

I always had Rivaldo down ahead of Zidane, he was such a talent and think he wasted last good years playing in Greece. think he is still playing in Brazil on same team as his son

Rivaldo was awesome but Zidane was better IMO. Add Scholes to the mix too, damn the 90s had some great players.

Rivaldo was awesome but Zidane was better IMO. Add Scholes to the mix too, damn the 90s had some great players.

and Nedved as well the most underrated of them all.

So many countries had their Golden Generations in the 90s: Holland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Croatia, Yugoslavia, Czech and other countries from the eastern block and I'd add Nigeria to the list. Even Wales and Ireland had their golden generations during the 90s.

So many countries had their Golden Generations in the 90s: Holland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Croatia, Yugoslavia, Czech and other countries from the eastern block and I'd add Nigeria to the list. Even Wales and Ireland had their golden generations during the 90s.

Ireland real golden generation was probably around 2002, Argentina as well had a golden generation in 98 post Maradona

I think I'm with voinjama here, Ronaldo when he moved to utd IMO looked a great prospect, but he didn't look like he'd develop in to one of the greatest players ever, and to me not like one of the best goal scorers ever, might not hit mullers percentages but I think he'll end up with more goals

Messi on the other hand IMO did, right from the start

Think Ronaldo at Madrid has stepped up a couple of gears, at utd you could see his technique being developed, the free kicks and shooting from distance etc, I think he's now even more athletic, his use of skills is better although I'd happily argue that's more due to him maturing, but I'm almost entirely convinced he's playing better because of messi, he isn't happy about being considered 2nd to him, can remember Ronaldo's utd playing messi's barca in the champions league final in 2009 and the rags here doing loads of comparisons between the 2 (with the general consensus seeming to be that Ronaldo was better because messi was poor in the air, got to love irony) but the reality was messi was easily the better of the 2, not the case anymore

• Like 1

I'm not sure Ronaldo could do what Maradona did winning the world cup in 86 virtually single-handedly... He's the greatest ever in my opinion. If Ronaldo can win a world cup for Portugal then I'd rate him alongside him.

Belgium in the 90s? No.

Belgium in the 90s? No.

80s might've better but their 1994 squad wasn't bad either: Preud'Homme, Philippe Albert, Luc Nilis, Wilmots, Degryse.

Belgium's current generation is probably their true golden generation though as they have awesome team.

For Belgium now although they haven't achieved anything yet...but they will and 1980-1986. Euro 80 finalists, world cup 86 semi finalists, plus a decent showing in 82.

Edited by Voinjama

Here are the prediction contest scores this week going into the final game.

2ew3c0h.png

I think kurtsimonw is winning.

Haven't worked out Steve985's yet, his predictions are the reverse of mine.

Leaderboard for last week's prediction contest

kurtsimonw 46

leviramsey 28

Con 27

PaulC 20

Steve985 (Con's nemesis) 18

dodgyknees 16

useless 14

Steve985 who predicts the reverse of what I predict got +2 for the bonus questions.

Not doing a contest this weekend. There will be one for the world cup.

• Like 1

Â