Crystal Palace

being bought for 90m by an american consortium

:angry:

Is that Josh Harris? He's been linked with them since September.

American owners generally don't have a club in the premier league, look at us, Sunderland and Fulham so I doubt this is Palace going into the top 6 anytime soon.

Heard the Palace chairman saying the other day that they should be in the top ten challenging for Europe. Sheer delusion. Then today Pardew said that they've been getting calls from Inter Milan players, lol wtf.

The bit about the inter Milan players I wouldn't doubt him, Italian teams seem to have huge squads but then no reserves so there are a lot of them (think they've even upped it to 12 subs per game) they then have financial troubles and league troubles and have a decent turnover of players, then you throw in London, then you throw in what we currently pay for average players

You end up with Sunderland fans getting excited by the likes of that Alvarez

The 1st bit is utter nonsense though

why shouldnt they challenge for top 10 though, its more ambition than our chairman has shown. they are 11th and probably would be even higher if didnt hire that clown Warnock or the worlds greatest manager didnt walk out on them before start of season

why shouldnt they challenge for top 10 though, its more ambition than our chairman has shown. they are 11th and probably would be even higher if didnt hire that clown Warnock or the worlds greatest manager didnt walk out on them before start of season

Not saying they shouldn't be. However saying that they belong in the top ten challenging for Europe is ridiculous

Palace have a decent squad nowadays, well drilled defence, competitive midfield and loads of pace in attack with Zaha, Bolaise and Puncheon.

It's sort of a poor man's version of us under MON and you don't have to be amazing to finish 9th or 10th in the premier league so it's possible they sneak in.

Zog is in his annual purple patch.  He always plays well in the spring, sometimes his run of form lasts as long as half a dozen games. 

Zaha was well overrated first time, can't quite believe Fergie signed him for that much as he was nowhere near ready for that level. He messed up 18 months of his career with that move and is slowly getting back on track with Palace now.

I do like Bolaise though.

• 1 month later...

The Financial Times claim talks have broken down with Josh Harris/David Blitzer and Crystal Palace on the takeover.

Talks over a planned takeover of Crystal Palace FC, the mid-ranked Premier League club, by a group of American businessman have broken down, according to people familiar with the matter.

These people said advanced discussions between the club and an investor group led by US billionaire Josh Harris, co-founder of the private equity firm Apollo Global Management, had unravelled in the past several weeks.

It was unclear whether Mr Harris and the group, which includes senior Blackstone executive David Blitzer, were trying to salvage a deal with Crystal Palace or whether they had their sights set on another club.

The Financial Times reported in mid-March that the group was in late-stage discussions with Crystal Palace’s owners about acquiring control of the club.

The investor group had been in on-and-off talks with the club for much of the Premier League season, with discussions hampered at times by fears that Crystal Palace might be relegated.

One of the people familiar with the matter said Crystal Palace’s owners might have sought better terms after the Premier League struck a record £5bn deal with broadcasters in February for the UK rights to football’s most lucrative competition. Crystal Palace declined to comment.

The club, whose performance improved throughout the season, is in 12th place in the league table with a game remaining.

A deal with Mr Harris would have made Crystal Palace the latest Premier League team to be acquired by an overseas buyer, as interest in the league rises around the world.

The acquisition would have made the club the third sports franchise to come under the ownership of the US investor group, which owns the National Basketball League’s Philadelphia 76ers and the National Hockey League’s New Jersey Devils.

Crystal Palace is owned by a consortium of its wealthy fans who brought it out of administration in 2010 and have helped revitalise its performance.

Its four current shareholders are life-long fans of the club and include Jeremy Hosking, co-founder of investment fund Marathon Asset Management, and Martin Long, who set up Direct Line and Churchill, the UK insurance companies.

Despite the club’s improving fortunes, its training ground is sorely in need of investment, while its dilapidated stadium — Selhurst Park — requires a near-complete overhaul.

At least one other Premier League football club appears to set change hands in the coming months. Randy Lerner, an American businessman, is pursuing a sale of Birmingham-based Aston Villa, which he bought in 2006.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cdedebc0-ffa7-11e4-bc30-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3anc5vj2m

We were linked with these last summer I think, a bit odd they seemingly have pulled out pretty sure I remember Parish and Pardew talking about them as well.

Croydon's starting to actually get some investement at last, they're building a Westfield's shopping centre next to East Croydon station so I'm sure they'll be more interest in them.

The issue I have here is nevermind funds on improving the squad, they're going to have to spend a shedload on redeveloping the ground as Selhurst Park is the worst ground in the league by a mile. I'm amazed there's never any talk of them actually redeveloping it.

This has some telling quotes from parish

Evening Standard

“It is more a question of me finding people that buy into my vision of the club. I know what needs to be done and there is a plan for doing that, so if we accelerate that with more funds and some advice from other areas, then great.

“Nobody will get involved in Palace on their terms. Nobody is going to take it over, put it in debt and ruin the five years of work we have put in.

“We are in the fortunate position that we are a pretty-much debt free, profitable Premier League club who are currently in 11th position. So I am under no pressure to do anything and the club do not need to be shaken upside down. Everyone in the current ownership structure would like me to carry on doing what I am doing.

“So if we take on investment, or partners, then it needs to be right. One of the deals we are looking at broadens the investor base in a way that I still have a massive say.”

Â