$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Dare I say... Fully fit our squad isn't as bad as the records show...! But on the other hand you have to expect the injuries and fulfil the void left by others... I think you'll be surprised if lambert left, they'd be another 10 managers lined up around the same calibre...

*Prepare for the bombardments*

I think the problem is, if Lambert left, would a new manager want to come, when he would know that the new owners might not like him and he could be sacked within a few months of being here, if a takeover happens? To me, you're not going to get many committed managers in those circumstances, just a journeyman looking for a last payout, playing the 'committed manager to this big club' act.

If a new manager were to come, I think that you will find the same situation as we saw with O'Neill, where it is the new owner that rubber stamps the appointment.

Dare I say... Fully fit our squad isn't as bad as the records show...! But on the other hand you have to expect the injuries and fulfil the void left by others... I think you'll be surprised if lambert left, they'd be another 10 managers lined up around the same calibre...

I think the problem is, if Lambert left, would a new manager want to come, when he would know that the new owners might not like him and he could be sacked within a few months of being here, if a takeover happens? To me, you're not going to get many committed managers in those circumstances, just a journeyman looking for a last payout, playing the 'committed manager to this big club' act.

Totally agree but I'm afraid these people are out there and they will come in no problem, maybe on the hope the new owners give them a chance, then they are quids in... I don't think we have much to worry about even if lambert leaves/gets sacked... Who knows anyway lol I'm not a massive football man in the know, so I couldn't put a name on who would come in, but someone defo would...

So 444 pages down the line there does not appear to be an imminent £200m US takeover of the club which is sadly what I expected from the outset. Why make a big deal about putting the club up for sale if a deal was just about there.

In my opinion the timing could not be much worse as it gives a very small window to make the sale before season starts with a couple of weeks left of the transfer window although that probably amounts to the same date. I would guess Lerner will have to put his hand in his pocket to fund the window as otherwise he runs the risk that if the sale is protracted and we are doing very badly that the price will get chipped. Cynically it's not his problem to pay the wages in the longer term hence why the likes of Lescott may be attractive.

Bizarrely much as I don't rate Lambert retaining him is probably the best option as if he was fired it will just plunge the club into further uncertainty which will make matters worse. The cynic in me sees this thread (maybe renamed) still up and running in the autumn as I do not see a quick sale happening. Lerner is going to take a haircut when he sells us and I would suspect the sticking point ultimately might be how much is really prepared to accept for the club as any new owner knows he will have to invest to get us to be a comfortable mid table side as a minimum.

If a new manager were to come, I think that you will find the same situation as we saw with O'Neill, where it is the new owner that rubber stamps the appointment.

But if there is no new owner...? 

I think if Lambert was to go we would put Cowans or someone like that in charge in a caretaker role. Like after O'Neill. And to be honest I think that might work, especially with Cowans, as what we'll need in that time - end of preseason, first few games, is someone who knows the club and, crucially perhaps, knows the youth setup and can bring a few of the younger players in to cover injuries. Even if results weren't great I think a temp manager with that approach would be appreciated by the fans, rather than, as someone suggested, a journeyman.

But. Lambert hasn't gone anywhere.

We haven't been sold.

So it's all hypothetical and about as relevant as the last 200 pages of this thread....

If we were close to a deal to sell us Lambert wouldn’t be here.

Unless Lerner has lied to him.

This makes no sense at all.

If he would leave himself he wouldn't get the compensation, so he's probably sticking around till new owners gives him the boot, or they've promised him golden handshake.

If he would leave himself he wouldn't get the compensation, so he's probably sticking around till new owners gives him the boot, or they've promised him golden handshake.

So he would come out with yesterdays statement knowing we could be sold next week would he? Nonsense he wouldn’t say a thing.

So he would come out with yesterdays statement knowing we could be sold next week would he? Nonsense he wouldn’t say a thing.

He's towing the company line in hope that new owners will keep him. Do you think they'd keep him if he would go "Yeah, club will be sold in couple of weeks, happy digging journos!"?

Ridiculous VF1970. Firstly, I doubt Lambert knows how close any deals are. Randy will probably give him snippets, but he won't tell him all the ins and outs (especially because Lerner wants him to stay to keep things ticking, do has to keep him sweet). Secondly, if we are close to a deal, Lambert would still be here. A deal can fall through at any time. Lerner isn't going to sack Lambert because a deal's close, because the deal could then collapse and Randy would have to start thinking of managerial/caretaker appointments.
  • Like 1

He's towing the company line in hope that new owners will keep him. Do you think they'd keep him if he would go "Yeah, club will be sold in couple of weeks, happy digging journos!"?

Some logic to that....

But I think we have to take things at face value - the club doesn't have recent history of telling us one thing - then the opposite happens - in a depressing way they have been as good as their word.

When Lambert says no takeover is imminent - I beleive him - I think we start the season as we are...

Some logic to that....

But I think we have to take things at face value - the club doesn't have recent history of telling us one thing - then the opposite happens - in a depressing way they have been as good as their word.

When Lambert says no takeover is imminent - I beleive him - I think we start the season as we are...

Lambert said "as far as I know there is nothing imminent in terms of new ownership", it greatly depends on what "imminent" means in this situation. It's better to bury truth into half-lies than just lie outright.