$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Folski - That is illegal under EU law. Even if we left the EU we still couldn't do it as other leagues would pay players more and therefore get the best players, it requires a wage cap done by Fifa which like I said would be illegal and it wouldn't get done anyway.

Incorrect. There's absolutely nothing to stop associations introducing wage caps, legally, once they're presented in a certain way. You cannot stop a club from employing a player, or paying them whatever they want to pay them. THAT is illegal, you can however set rules of eligibility for competitions or tournaments that could prevent a certain weekly wage for REGISTERED players exceeding a certain point. That's the key differentiator.

Example, Premier League introduce a wage cap whereby no club is allowed to spend more than 75% of the previous year's earnings on wages for their registered squad. Let's say that figure is £65m for us. Now, there's absolutely nothing in those regulations that prevents us from signing 20 players and paying them £100k a week each (or around £104m per year). We'd be legally entitled to employ them as footballers for whatever wage we see fit, however, correctly worded wage cap regulations would prevent us from registering them all for the Premier League. The key thing is that they would STILL be employees and STILL be footballers plying their trade, they would just be ineligible for a certain competition, or competitions.

What will prevent a wage cap from ever happening is the fact that all you need is a single country to opt out, meaning that all the best players in the world would go there because the money would be much higher than elsewhere. That country's league would then become the best and most desirable in the world, and the other leagues would be unable to compete in terms of TV money, sponsorship etc. That's why it'll never happen.

Yea that's different to to individuals could be legal completely like that 8 out if 9 clubs have accepted FFP sanctions this will be answered for us in due course

Edited by suttonpaul

Got this from twatter, read from bottom to upward.

No risks would be taken, working to ensure Villa remain a premier league team next year. This would be pivotal #avfc

Included in the price could well be investment for the playing squad this summer as both Lerner and new Owners will realise the need #avfc

This is opinion from somone who was the chairman of the WM Business Council and was key in facilitating the merger of Eon and Powergen #avfc

He also said that he would be extremely surprised and it would be very unusual if there was no real avenues yet at this point #avfc

From what he was saying to me 6 weeks is probably right as an estimate of completion at this stage. #avfc

not to say that PL or PF will be retained but that decision will be part of the next stage #avfc

this would indicate why PL and PF have flown to USA, as the structural side of any deal will now be worked on which they are involved #avfc

described how Meryl Lynch will be approaching these parties now and the next stage will be the structural side. 1/2 @avfc

there will be a shortlist of buyers who have previously been sounded out. So perhaps not a "buyer" as such, but not no interest 2/2 #avfc

Speaking to my dad who was very involved in the high end of business in his career including a large merger. Opinion on #avfc sale is 1/2

Edit: Cleaned it up, interesting stuff, so if I got that right, his dad thinks that there is a buyer (or couple potential ones), and Lambert & Faulkner has gone to meet them.

Edited by Jarpie

Fans want Lerner to sell.

Lerner announces he's actively trying to sell us.

Fans criticise Lerner.

VT.

Fans wanted houllier gone.

Lerner sacks houllier

Replaces with mcleish

Aston Villa under Randy Lerner.

thank you for this summary of a small part of Randy's ownership.

What it has to do with my post is beyond me. But it was nice of you to keep up appearances.

That was a small part. I'm sure you know the other mistakes made after mistakes.

The point is you once again mock people for not being thrilled yet pretty much the entire Lerner era has showed that he gets things wrong a lot more than right.

Edited by Big_John_10

Fans criticise Lerner.

VT.

Lerner sacks houllier

Replaces with mcleish

thank you for this summary of a small part of Randy's ownership.

What it has to do with my post is beyond me. But it was nice of you to keep up appearances.

That was a small part. I'm sure you know the other mistakes made after mistakes.

The point is you once again mock people for not being thrilled yet pretty much the entire Lerner era has showed that he gets things wrong a lot more than right.

I'm not mocking anyone.

I'm certainly not criticising people for being displeased with Lerner in general. If you think that then you're reading what you want to read.

I'm criticising people for having a go at Lerner for doing exactly what they want him to do

The Express reckon that Vlaar and Delph have new deals on the table but Lambert will have very little to spend this summer. Another indicator that a deal for the club could be some way away, although yes it may be false information for those who are annoyed at people expressing concern.

Fans criticise Lerner.

VT.

Lerner sacks houllier

Replaces with mcleish

Exactly. Doing things well, or doing them badly is the important point rather than the thing merely being done, eg to make a point

Stevo985 is hungry.

Mrs Stevo985 serves him a tin of dog food for dinner

Stev0985 criticises Mrs Stevo985

Stevo985.

So what exactly is Randy supposed to do here?

Using your analogy, what would be the equivalent of a slap up 5 course Michelin star dinner?

Sell us better?

Keep quiet until we're completely sold?

Genuinely interested

Sell us harder Randy!!!

Yup - Ive heard people say 'Randy wouldn't not have a buyer lined up' - But really if no one wants to buy - he doesn't have a choice. He could always {and I suspect he is} be flexible on price - but the would affect the calibre of buyer we get. - I guess it will come out in the wash...

The Express reckon that Vlaar and Delph have new deals on the table but Lambert will have very little to spend this summer. Another indicator that a deal for the club could be some way away, although yes it may be false information for those who are annoyed at people expressing concern.

I'm confident there will be a takeover.

I didn't realise Ellis Short (Sunderland) was worth $6.7bn?! It really is how much they are willing to spend isn't it , that's nearly as much as abramovic 

According to Wikipedia he's worth that much but I've seen other places quoting him as being worth closer in the region to what Randy is meant to be worth.