$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Fans want Lerner to sell.

Lerner announces he's actively trying to sell us.

Fans criticise Lerner.

VT.

Fans wanted houllier gone.

Lerner sacks houllier

Replaces with mcleish

Aston Villa under Randy Lerner.

Exactly.  Doing things well, or doing them badly is the important point rather than the thing merely being done, eg to make a point

Stevo985 is hungry.

Mrs Stevo985 serves him a tin of dog food for dinner

Stev0985 criticises Mrs Stevo985

Stevo985.

Thanks Nabby yea wrong manager but still not enough funding anyway for it to be doing a man city.

Everton is a good example of doing all the right things at a club for a long time but lets face it people make mistakes and it is money that washes away those mistakes if you sell Rooney for 25m and then piss it up the wall with the best of intentions.

Liverpool is a bad example because they had good players already but a hangover from their dominance before UTD and from being what most people used to call a top 4 club is they still get that self funding sponsorship and merchandising.

Appreciate that Mantis but taking steps you need to know what direction you are walking in.

And how is investing sensibly and initially aiming towards mid-table (which was the example I highlighted earlier) not knowing what direction you're going in?

That is illegal under EU law. Even if we left the EU we still couldn't do it as other leagues would pay players more and therefore get the best players, it requires a wage cap done by Fifa which like I said would be illegal and it wouldn't get done anyway.

If it's illegal under EU law, how come the Aviva Premiership has had one for 15 years?

That is illegal under EU law. Even if we left the EU we still couldn't do it as other leagues would pay players more and therefore get the best players, it requires a wage cap done by Fifa which like I said would be illegal and it wouldn't get done anyway.

If it's illegal under EU law, how come the Aviva Premiership has had one for 15 years?

No idea don't know diddly about rugby but I know capping wages is illegal under eu law

I thought wage caps were just things that clubs enforced themselves. Saying "We will not offer anyone a contract more than XXX per month". If that stops them renewing someone's contract or buying a new player, that's just because they enforced the rule themselves (presumably to keep within a budget), but not anything that is legally enforced.

No idea don't know diddly about rugby but I know capping wages is illegal under eu law

Well they obviously aren't as several top rugby leagues have had them in place for 10+ years without any challenges to them.

2edxt2s.jpg

so the rumours are true... (damn, I have to desist)

An owner of that stature would certainly be the Holy Grail. It'll never happen though, so let's move on to the next one.

I hear the owner has already drawn up a Blueprint for us to progress to the next level.

Appreciate that Mantis but taking steps you need to know what direction you are walking in.

And how is investing sensibly and initially aiming towards mid-table (which was the example I highlighted earlier) not knowing what direction you're going in?

Who was doing that then?  Certainly not Lerner and Villa.

Who was doing that then?  Certainly not Lerner and Villa.

If you'd read the exchange earlier you'd know that I was talking hypothetically (e.g. someone with a couple of billion bought us and invested fairly but we didn't do a Man City).

30% has been about money, 70% has been about the awful decisions made at our club. I mean McLeish???? Must be one of the worst decisions ever made in league history.

And Houllier weren't an awful lot better - and although I am a Lambert sympathiser - did we get him just because the fans chanted his name....Rather than lerner considering him to be a good fit..?

Salary caps in rugby are more of a club salary limit, a bit like most 'merican sports, rather than a limit on how much a player can earn, thus not breaking any laws. Essentially it means a club can't go over a certain set limit, and it's pretty much what Financial Fair Play results in.

I think.

Going back to Monday - how did people on twitter get it [Lerners Statement] before the OS .....i know it was only minutes before but I am intrigued....? 

Edited by smetrov

Folski - That is illegal under EU law. Even if we left the EU we still couldn't do it as other leagues would pay players more and therefore get the best players, it requires a wage cap done by Fifa which like I said would be illegal and it wouldn't get done anyway.

Incorrect. There's absolutely nothing to stop associations introducing wage caps, legally, once they're presented in a certain way. You cannot stop a club from employing a player, or paying them whatever they want to pay them. THAT is illegal, you can however set rules of eligibility for competitions or tournaments that could prevent a certain weekly wage for REGISTERED players exceeding a certain point. That's the key differentiator. 

Example, Premier League introduce a wage cap whereby no club is allowed to spend more than 75% of the previous year's earnings on wages for their registered squad. Let's say that figure is £65m for us. Now, there's absolutely nothing in those regulations that prevents us from signing 20 players and paying them £100k a week each (or around £104m per year). We'd be legally entitled to employ them as footballers for whatever wage we see fit, however, correctly worded wage cap regulations would prevent us from registering them all for the Premier League. The key thing is that they would STILL be employees and STILL be footballers plying their trade, they would just be ineligible for a certain competition, or competitions.

What will prevent a wage cap from ever happening is the fact that all you need is a single country to opt out, meaning that all the best players in the world would go there because the money would be much higher than elsewhere. That country's league would then become the best and most desirable in the world, and the other leagues would be unable to compete in terms of TV money, sponsorship etc. That's why it'll never happen.

Edited by P3te

Well they obviously aren't as several top rugby leagues have had them in place for 10+ years without any challenges to them.

We are talking about wage caps for individuals not clubs right?

Fans criticise Lerner.

VT.

Lerner sacks houllier

Replaces with mcleish

Exactly. Doing things well, or doing them badly is the important point rather than the thing merely being done, eg to make a point

Stevo985 is hungry.

Mrs Stevo985 serves him a tin of dog food for dinner

Stev0985 criticises Mrs Stevo985

Stevo985.

So what exactly is Randy supposed to do here?

Using your analogy, what would be the equivalent of a slap up 5 course Michelin star dinner?

Sell us better?

Keep quiet until we're completely sold?

Genuinely interested

Sell us harder Randy!!!

• Like 2

Fans criticise Lerner.

VT.

Lerner sacks houllier

Replaces with mcleish

thank you for this summary of a small part of Randy's ownership.

What it has to do with my post is beyond me. But it was nice of you to keep up appearances.