Troy Deeney

StefanAVFC

I presume SSN aren't a blacklisted source?

Sky Sports understands Aston Villa have identified Watford hit-man Troy Deeney as one of their top summer transfer targets.

Deeney is regarded as arguably the best striker outside the Premier League after breaking the 20-goal barrier for the second consecutive season for Watford in the Championship.

The former Walsall man scored 20 goals last season to propel Watford to the play-off final and he has already surpassed that tally this term with 22 goals for the Hornets to make him one of the hottest properties around.

As well as being prolific in front of goal Deeney has established himself as an all-round striker having created ten assists last season and five so far this term.

Deeney's form over the last 18 months has seen him come to the attention of a number of top Premier League sides and Villa are hoping to steal a march on their rivals as they look to lure him to Villa Park.

Villa boss Paul Lambert is understood to have made striking reinforcements one of his top priorities this summer and he sees Deeney as someone who can solve their goalscoring problems.

Lambert and his scouting team are understood to be planning to cast an eye over Deeney during the Easter Bank Holiday weekend as they continue to monitor his progress.

Several other Premier League clubs, including Newcastle, are monitoring Deeney's situation at Vicarage Road and Watford are bracing themselves for interest in the striker this summer

Birmingham-born Deeney is understood to be keen on plying his trade in the Premier League and Villa are ready to test Watford's resolve to keep hold of the 25-year-old

Watford would be loath to lose their star striker, but they are aware they could face a fight to keep hold of him if any of his Premier League suitors firm up their interest in Deeney with a bid in excess of £8million.

Link

Decent striker.

I like him good player.

Kozak, Weimann, Benteke (he will be back second half of the season), Agbonlahor (maybe we won't renew?) probably add Robinson to that list aswell.

I presume someone is off in the summer if this news is true and it isn't Benteke.

Probably a bidding war and starting at 8 million quid, we may not be able to afford him sadly.

Birmingham born... so, is he an agent blue-nose, one of us or a tesco-bag?

Not sure who he supports but didn't he come through our academy?

He is very much in the Benteke mould, not as good of course but his hold up play is very good and he can put the ball in the net.

• Like 1

Thought this summer was about adding quality to the squad instead of more lower league gambles.

Lower league gambles? Have you ever seen him play? Stop talking out of your arse. If there is a striker who looks like he is ready made for the Premier League, from the Championship, it is Deeney. 

Edited by samjp26

Looking at his career so far, it appears that he was a talented youngster who had a lazy attitude and didn't start to live up to his ability until he matured. Maybe the three months inside were a big wake-up call for him?

Thought this summer was about adding quality to the squad instead of more lower league gambles.

Lower league gambles? Have you ever seen him play? Stop talking out of your arse. If there is a striker who looks like he is ready made for the Premier League, from the Championship, it is Deeney.

Yes I've seen him play. There's strikers who are great at championship level but struggle in the prem. Jason Roberts springs to mind. If I was talking out my arse I'd still be right more times than you.

He's a player from the lower leagues. I thought the plan was to add 2-3 quality players this summer. I don't think Troy Deeney is that kind of quality. To me this signing would be the same as what we've done the previous 2 years which has resulted in two fabulous seasons.

We will have Kozak available by the start of next season with Benteke available later so why spend more on yet another striker.

If we are going to keep Bertrand then it will probably take 6m to get him plus we again need quality reinforcements in midfield so hopefully that link is utter bullshit.

However if we a going for a striker I'd sell Gabby and replace him with Jordan Rhodes.

Â