Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Flat track bully...

Well we were horrendous against the so called "flat track" teams last year, only turned up against decent sides.

So he should even us out nicely.

My feeling on this is the same as Senderos and Cole..ughh...wow these are heady days. He might be an improvement he might not, at least he's experienced so shouldn't make some of the numbskull mistakes some of our players do. 

Until Lerner goes this is life.

Anyone know of any other experienced LB going for free?

If Richardson comes in I don't really see the problem or why fans are so distraught. My friend is a Fulham fan and he says that Richardson was their best player last season (granted they went down but we almost followed them so no world beaters will join us in our current state anyway)

He's on a free, experienced, can play several positions, won't break the wage budget and he's definitely an improvement on Bennett and Luna. Beggars can't be choosers in our current predicament, so as things stand I'd welcome him.

I fully expect he's only sign a 2 year deal anyway, as evidently that's the only length of contract we're willing to give out currently

• Like 3

He might have been one of their best players last season but from what I've read that was playing in midfield and not at left back. As a left back they don't seem to rate him at all, so it would be worrying if we've signed him to play in that position.

Whilst I do see the sense in Joe Cole and Philippe Senderos... Kieran Richardson? What? :/

Left back. I. More convinced were going 5 at the back next season.

This....looking at the current squat it makes sense to go this route. We need to be generally harder to beat, with what we currently have at our disposal 5-3-2 seems logical.

Edited by mightysasquatch

He might have been one of their best players last season but from what I've read that was playing in midfield and not at left back. As a left back they don't seem to rate him at all, so it would be worrying if we've signed him to play in that position.

True but I think Lambert wants to play 3-5-2 so Richardson would fill the wide role

He favoured that formation for part of his first season and tried it again last season. I think he wants to try and strengthen the back with 3 CB's and is relying on pacey players to provide the width, with Cole hopefully free to be creative in the centre without having to do much running

• Like 1

Aston Villa are set to sign Kieran Richardson from relegated Fulham in what will be Roy Keane's first significant contribution as assistant manager.

Richardson is expected to complete a medical inside the next 24 hours and become Villa's third signing of the summer.

With only a year remaining on his contract, it is believed Villa are only having to pay a small fee for the 29-year-old.

There was also interest from Crystal Palace in Richardson, but Keane's influence is thought to have swayed his decision to move to Villa Park.

Richardson first got to know Keane as a youngster and Manchester United and then played for the Irishman at Sunderland.

The pair have remained close and Keane is thought to have driven Villa's move after being appointed as manager Paul Lambert's new assistant at the start of the month.

Richardson's favoured position is on the left side of midfield, but he can also play at left-back where Villa are short.

Ryan Bertrand has gone back to Chelsea and is set to move to either Liverpool or Tottenham after spending the second half of last season on loan at Villa.

Richardson will follow central defender Philippe Senderos and midfielder Joe Cole to Villa Park.

I didn't realise he was only 29 I thought he was 33 or something. I think he might do alright as a wing back or in midfiled. An okay signing for where are at at the moment.

Someone on Twitter wrote that Chelsea wanted £8m for Bertrand. While a cracking player and better than Richardson, we don't really have that option, do we. *sighs* ...

Who knows, maybe our 'some new, some old, some borrowed, some blue'... strategy will work.

also hearing we're after Luke Young & Risse

the futures cheap, the futures help the aged

Hardly though. Senderos and Richardson are both 29. Only Joe Cole warrants a passing comment, but plenty of 32 year olds play on for a few years at the top level. Obviously we have to wait and see if he's one of them.

Jesus christ. The team we're assembling is just awful.

It's almost as though you've never seen him play or know nothing of our circumstances.

He's a good player. Not fit for the top 6 granted, but he runs the line well and has an eye for the net.

An able wing back. Will do well here.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

It's almost as though you've never seen him play or know nothing of our circumstances.

He's a good player. Not fit for the top 6 granted, but he runs the line well and has an eye for the net.

An able wing back. Will do well here.

I'm very aware of who he is and i'm very aware of our circumstances. Doesn't mean the squad we're assembling is good does it? It's truly dreadful. We are going to really struggle next season. I don't blame Lambert for signing these players, I appreciate he has little other choice, but our squad is terrrible. What Lambert has been given to work with is shocking and the club from top to bottom is a shambles.

It's all just shite really, isn't it?  

Am i supposed to be happy at the prospect of paying to watch Senderos and Richardson next season just because Randy doesn't want to spend any money? 

Edited by PieFacE

So far all the signings have been an improvement on what was here before. Senderos will be 3rd choice and I think Cole and Richardson if he signs will be 1st team or there abouts. Hopefully Lambert is keeping the bulk of any transfer pot back for the important positions of DM/CM and another creative player.

• Like 1

Ah because obviously anyone who doesn't deem in a "good player" as you do must therefore have not seen him play. Well I have seen him plenty and he his decent offensively but very suspect defensively. I like defenders who can actually defend but that's just me.