Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Guzan

Hutton--Vlaar--Okore--Clark

Westwood--Delph

N'zogbia

Weimann-----------Agbonlahor

Kozak

Subs: Given,Baker,Lowton,Bacuna,El Ahmadi,Bowery,Bent.

This could be our starting team selection next season if nothing changes.  I'd say we will be in the market for Hoolahan again and players similar to him, cheap and experienced.  Thats not the worst squad to be starting the league with and will be made even stronger by Benteke returning before xmas but hopefully the takeover happens soon and we have a good opportunity to splash the cash before the window closes.

It's a hopeless squad. I know this, because it's in fact the same squad that nearly got relegated this year, but a little bit worse. In 2 of the key positions, you have players who have been out for at least half a season with very serious injuries. You have a RB who hasn't played competitive football for over a year and a LB who's really a CB and could never contribute anything going forwards, ever. None of the attacking players scored more than 5 goals this season, despite having more than 70 games between them. We have to get involved with bringing in players on a Bosman if we truly can't spend money, because there's nowhere enough quality in that team to avoid a relegation battle. 

I disagree, IF Okore and N'zogbia are fit and motivated they will give us a huge boost. Hoolahan might be a decent quick-fix too.

Hutton will be extremely motivated to get his place back, keep it and also be part of Scotland's team for their next qualifiers...He has been playing for them and Bolton too last season so He's not exactly ring-rusty.

We'll be fine, keep faith.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Paul Lambert has made a U-turn by opening the door to Darren Bent and Alan Hutton being reintegrated into Aston Villa’s first team while confirming that the midfieder Marc Albrighton has been released. The Villa manager, whose future remains in doubt because of the possibility of a takeover, said “everyone is on the same level playing field” when they report for pre-season.

Lambert’s previous position was to freeze out Bent and Hutton in the hope of selling them to reduce the wage bill. It is understood that Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, has encouraged Lambert to utilise both players during the final 12 months of their contracts. “Everybody’s even now, everybody’s level,” Lambert said. “It’s public knowledge what’s happened [in the past] and now everyone is on the same level playing field.”

Bent, Villa’s record signing when he joined from Sunderland in January 2011 for a fee rising to £24m, was loaned out to Fulham last season after being used sparingly by Lambert in the previous campaign. Hutton, who was signed by Alex McLeish in 2012, has not kicked a ball for Villa under Lambert and there was no indication that situation would change. “It will be unlikely he will ever play here, he knows that, but we need to get the [wage] structure down to a level,” Lambert said in February.

The manager is now taking a different view, perhaps mindful that there is no guarantee what transfer deals will go through if the club has not been sold this summer and, as a result, what sort of squad he will have at his disposal going into the new campaign. “The only uncertainty we’ve got, which is the main uncertainty, is how long before [the club’s] sold,” Lambert said.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/20/aston-villa-paul-lambert-darren-bent-u-turn

At the moment the club is in a desperate state, I think we need to use everyone we have available. I think bringing back Hutton,Bent and Nzogbia is sensible

Well knock me down with a feather. Lambert finally having to utilise players already at the club.

It's a pity he didn't do that in the first place instead of devaluing them to the extent that we couldn't sell.

So not only do we have an about turn on the youth policy with Lambert targeting more experienced players, now he has to use those players not good enough by his own actions.

Could it get more embarrassing for him even after having one of those bombed out players actually coaching the team? Probably not.

• Like 1

You do know it wasn't his choice to 'bomb them out' in the first place, right? You do know its Randy who has told him he wants them reintroduced to the squad, right?

There are many things you can knock Lambert for but I'm afraid the bomb squad situation isn't one of them.

Are we sure that's true?

Im sure Lerner told him to reduce the wage bill, but did he really tell him to ostracize those players while they were still here on the wagebill?

Seems very odd, then again Lerners have done odd things before

You do know it wasn't his choice to 'bomb them out' in the first place, right? You do know its Randy who has told him he wants them reintroduced to the squad, right?

There are many things you can knock Lambert for but I'm afraid the bomb squad situation isn't one of them.

Are we sure that's true?

Im sure Lerner told him to reduce the wage bill, but did he really tell him to ostracize those players while they were still here on the wagebill?

Seems very odd, then again Lerners have done odd things before

I don't think there is much point in going over and over it again, but Randy's letter last January(?) pointed to it being the choice of him and the board, whilst we've seen several interviews and such point to it as well (e.g. Lambert says Hutton won't play again for Villa, not because he doesn't like him but because he is paid too much - bonuses and such I assume).

I genuinely think Randy is playing some very dangerous games right now, unless we are close to a deal it could end up being a nightmare season.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

From that Bosman list id go for...

Raul Garcia

Marc bartra

Montoya

Stefano celozzi

Mame diouf

Alex esswein

Aaron hunt

Those few would add a lot of quality to our team.... Now I'm not saying sign all of them but if we Don't have any money to spend on transfers but can spend on wages, players like the above would be very astute acquisitions.

Personally speaking all those players are a good step up of what we have currently available ( not including injured players) diouf on a contract smaller than bents then shifting him out would make more sense to me... Also diouf has more to his game than bent has to his.... More physicality and a good scoring ability!

I disagree, IF Okore and N'zogbia are fit and motivated they will give us a huge boost. Hoolahan might be a decent quick-fix too.

Hutton will be extremely motivated to get his place back, keep it and also be part of Scotland's team for their next qualifiers...He has been playing for them and Bolton too last season so He's not exactly ring-rusty.

We'll be fine, keep faith.

I wish I could share your optimism. I just don't think N'Zogbia will ever be the player he was after that injury, and that's my fear for Okore and Benteke too. Even if they all came back without any obvious effects from these horrendous injuries, it'd still be a very weak team. Hutton hasn't played a competitive game for more than 6 months, it'll be nearly a year by the time the season starts. He will be very rusty I'm afraid. 

It's possible we might sign some players who are improvements, but I don't hold out much hope given the mess the club is in. I do admire your optimism, though, and I mean that sincerely, even if I think it's misplaced. 

Raul Garcia

Marc bartra

Montoya

Stefano celozzi

Mame diouf

Alex esswein

Aaron hunt

Those few would add a lot of quality to our team.... Now I'm not saying sign all of them but if we Don't have any money to spend on transfers but can spend on wages, players like the above would be very astute acquisitions.

Personally speaking all those players are a good step up of what we have currently available ( not including injured players) diouf on a contract smaller than bents then shifting him out would make more sense to me... Also diouf has more to his game than bent has to his.... More physicality and a good scoring ability!

And how would you pay these players and their inflated bosman wages? With buttons? Free food in the Holte pub or with I.O.U's? Magic beans?

(Not having a dig at you by the way)

I'm happy to put up any new signing at my flat.  Save AVFC some money on hotel fees.  Maybe they should share bibs at training?  Someone also needs to tell Gabby to stop leaving the lights on at the gym whenever he leaves.  Costs us a fortune. 

• Like 1

Raul Garcia

Marc bartra

Montoya

Stefano celozzi

Mame diouf

Alex esswein

Aaron hunt

And how would you pay these players and their inflated bosman wages? With buttons? Free food in the Holte pub or with I.O.U's?

I'm not sure tbh mate but surely If Lerner is selling he would rather us not go down and also give lambert some sort of wiggle room for transfers. I'm not in the know in the slightest and my suggestions where based on if we actually could spend money on wages. which from what your saying is that we literally don't have a pot to pee in.....

Maybe I'm just naive in clinging to any shot of maybe something good happening for us nowadays!

Edited by Mattyp_avfc

I'm happy to put up any new signing at my flat.  Save AVFC some money on hotel fees.  Maybe they should share bibs at training?  Someone also needs to tell Gabby to stop leaving the lights on at the gym whenever he leaves.  Costs us a fortune. 

Someone should get Bent to have a word with Gabby, I've heard he is the club expert in saving energy. :)

• Like 4

Wow hes willing to half his pay? that's crazy drop. We would have to be in for him at that salary. Offer a 2 year deal at 45k. Option for 3rd (in our favour). Get Barry in on around the same.. Aaron Hunt too.. 3 quality players with no transfer fee. This is management is easy..where is that 'Offer button'?

• Like 3