341 members have voted

1. 1. JPA: Hero or Flop

• Hero
    • Flop

we need a third option

neither

good pro, average premier league footballer

Agreed.

For some reason he fired everybody's imagination when he arrived, including mine.

Unfortunately he just didn't have the full range of qualities or skills needed to be a top striker in England.

Most people love him so much thay have constantly overlooked that.

For me, he has been a disappointment overall.

we need a third option

neither

Same as Petrov, except he is below average!!

Just out of interest, what has Stan Petrov got to do with anything in this thread?

we need a third option

neither

That's it in a nutshell really. Two good seasons out of 6 does not make him a hero for me. Sure, it can be argued that injuries and managerial issues limited his impact at the club and that had we had better players at the club then he would have performed much better but at the end of the day he is no Ian Taylor, no Paul McGrath, no David Platt, no Sid Cowans, no Paul Merson.

Overall, performance wise, I would argue that Solano made almost as big an impact and it is clear that Yorke was a much better striker but neither of these are heroes in my eyes and I bet that goes for most others. Sure Angel didn't leave under a cloud like these two and I would be surprised if he did but that doesn't change my opinion on him.

At £9.5 million, I would have expected more in the 6 years he has been here. The price isn't his fault but it must ultimately be a consideration after 6 years at Villa as to whether or not he was a flop.

He may be a nice guy who put in some excellent performances but he is up there with the likes of Carbone, Hitzlsperger etc... Some fond memories but unlikely to be sorely missed.

Let me be honest.. I really like the bloke, and really wanted him to be a great Villa Player... his touch has always been exemplorary.. and he does genuinely love wearing the shirt...

However 1 season apart, he has been a flop in my view.. not enough goals.. has never really posed a threat to the defences of the good teams.. His goal tally has be skewe by the fact that he has netted a few braces in the League Cup against poor opposition...

As I said.. I really want to hit the the hero button.. and still really want it to work for him at Villa... but I have to be hinest with myself and say that he hasnt justified the money spent.. and probably never will.

What are you saying, Tarj? Can't say I quite follow you, mate.

Just wanted to know why Nick felt the need to go off topic just to take a dig at Stan Petrov, is all.

someone said legendary goals too. Thats a joke, he has scored some v. good goals (e.g. Chelsea, Everton) but i doubt they will go down in villa folklore. And dont say what about coventry or bolton. The former was irrelevant in sending them down cus they were mathematically relegated irrespective of the result anyway and the latter was a fluke.

the latter was a fluke.

Bollocks was it.

And what does the importance of the goal have to do whether it was good or not?

The fact that Everton were dead and buried, does that mean that goal wasn't good?

but he has not done the bizz on a regular basis so he is a flop.

Do tell me what Villa player the last 10 years which has done the biz on a regular basis?

Merson? Taylor? We have had a lot of flops havent we.

someone said legendary goals too. Thats a joke, he has scored some v. good goals (e.g. Chelsea, Everton) but i doubt they will go down in villa folklore. And dont say what about coventry or bolton. The former was irrelevant in sending them down cus they were mathematically relegated irrespective of the result anyway and the latter was a fluke.

Think you have a very short memory span there. Oh well it was all flukes anyway.

the latter was a fluke.

Bollocks was it.

And what does the importance of the goal have to do whether it was good or not?

The fact that Everton were dead and buried, does that mean that goal wasn't good?

The goal was a fluke IMO, say it is bollocks all you want. I dunno what the **** you're going on a bout after that.

Think you have a very short memory span there. Oh well it was all flukes anyway.

Why the short memory span, i might have got something wrong, if i have i apologise, but i dont think i have

Do tell me what Villa player the last 10 years which has done the biz on a regular basis?

I agree with that, Tarj. Maybe JPA isn't a Villa hero and maybe he isn't a fantastic footballer. But he did his best and produced his fair share of fine football for us.

Juan Pablo Angel certainly isn't a Villa flop.

This is where the problem lies. The fact you state is true but that is not a justification either for or against whether JPA is a flop or not. JPA cost £9.5 million and is therefore a bigger "flop" in many peoples eyes than many other players. For the money paid, I would suggest Stone, Collymore, Balaban to name 3 to be much bigger "flops" than JPA (they are incomparable) but that players such as Merson, Dublin, Mellberg to name 3 are not "flops" as they performed consistently and in my opinion justified the price tag.

Â