JPA - villa hero or villa flop?

Jimzk5

JPA: Hero or Flop  

341 members have voted

1. 1. JPA: Hero or Flop

• Hero
    • Flop

Neither. Good bloke, good striker at times, not so at others and should've gone last summer really.

well that's what i would've voted for too.

except for some reason it wasn't an option. :?

apparently we have to either treat him as some sort of god or think he's the devil incarnate.

a halfway house would be nice ......

Neither. Good bloke, good striker at times, not so at others and should've gone last summer really.

Agree. Villa heroes are Dennis Mortimer, Paul McGrath and Sid Cowans, i.e players that 'achieved'. He does not stand up to players like that. Neither was he as bad as players like Bosko Balaban or Najran Gharyib (sp). I will remember him more for his loyalty and attitude rather than success.

Angel is a cracking bloke and always given the best for the team but looked at as a striker and an expensive one he has just not done enough.

Some people just refuse to see this and hang on to little bits and bobs which he has contributed, but its just not enough.

Some just think he is shite.

I am in between as with Jon, great bloke good professional always done his best for Villa but falls short as a legend.

If we are to go on this season alone for the reason of his fading away then O'Neill knows what he is doing, i assume he has decided that is that Angel is not in my plans.

Sorry, just don't get it. The nice guy thing is irrelevant. And however badly Ellis and co treated him when he first arrived he has been paid a huge wage to do his job ever since. We bought him as an out-and-out striker for over £9million and this is his return:-

Current club totals

Apps As sub Goals Yellow Red

Total (Club) 205 (47) 62 15 0

League 175 (41) 44 14 0

FA Cup 9 (1) 1 0 0

League Cup 17 (3) 13 0 0

European/Others 4 (2) 4 1 0

That's a flop. Maybe not a Balabanesque flop but a flop all the same. And certainly not a hero

for some anyone who wears c&b is a hero - so the question is badly phrased - it should be something like - would you include him in your alltime top 10 villa players ?

You wouldn't class Petrov as a hero though would you? I doubt you would piss on him if he was on fire!

Ooohh you've woken me up now...

"shame there were no great players at Villa at his peak " - WHAT !!!!!

Paul Merson, Gareth Barry, Dion Dublin, Steve Staunton, Mark Delaney, Nobby Solano

and others

none of these could create chances for strikers could they !!!!

End of the day, nice bloke, hasn't done an Alpay, but then again, he is being paid £40k per week when that is probably more than he would earn in his life in Columbia so why would he bleat.

And as for hero , there are only around 10 heroes at Villa and the last one was God so do me a favour......

Barry's bottom?

Can't say I have ever studied Barry's bottom, I will pay more attention at the Sheffield game. I am just a bit worried that a man has recommended this.

And Patrick I do actually go to watch the football.

:oops: I'll rephrase that. "It would seem that somebody on You Tube ..."

Guest VillaFan1

oh my **** god i cant believe how many people put JPA down as a hero ?

Hes not done **** all for ages now for what we paid it woul dbe nice to hav a little something each season !

for me TOTAL FLOP

Hero? Are you having a laugh?

Flop? That's a bit of a joke as well.

As some have already pointed out, he is neither. There really should have been other options in the poll, 'cus the current format does not accomodate everyones point of view. I think that some of the people who voted would have preferred intemediary categories instead.

If anything, he is skewed more towards flop than hero IMO, but i would not label him a flop properly. Bit of an unfair poll IMO

For one and a half seasons he was a hero, the other 4 years he's been poor at best. I'd say for £9.75m he's a flop.

People are already calling Petrov a flop after 6 months, he seems a pretty nice guy too. Bit hypocritical to turn around and call JPA a hero IMO.

JPA is one of the few players that was an international star at the prime of his career when we signed him. He has always represented the club with great class. I've always felt an immense sense of pride seeing him play in the Claret & Blue. Is he an all time Villa great - no. Hero - 100%.

JPA a HERO, He's been the closest to 20 goals since Yorke, that says it all for me! In terms of brain, he is way ahead of everyone at Villa, fans can say what they like even if we had RVN during JPA's early part, he would have struggled for goals. Hopefully O'Neill sorts out our Midfield.

Exellent performances.

Legendary goals.

Ultimate professional on and off the pitch.

Footballing brain which was to intelligent for his own team mates half the time, if not more. Meaning he would lower himself to their level. That fact that he bothered coming to us in the first place is a minor miracle.

Niggling injuries, with one more or less hampering his career. Still he worked like a donkey without complaining, even in 4-5-1 formations which was quite clearly hopeless.

Hero.

I dont think this poll reflects the consensus amongst all villa fans, probably cus it is so limited. Most of the people i know would say he was neither, and if you ran the poll on H&V the results would be skewed the other way. Angel was sometimes good, sometimes brilliant, but more often than not average or even worse, terrible. Thats why i find it strange that so many people on here think he is a hero, yet most ppl i know dont, and some other forums would even label him a flop. A bit strange certainly

Â