JPA - villa hero or villa flop?

Jimzk5

JPA: Hero or Flop  

341 members have voted

1. 1. JPA: Hero or Flop

• Hero
    • Flop

I can see this one burst in to flames.

Well, I won't surprise anyone. JPA is a great hero for me. For so many things. His goals, whatever you say, he's scored most goals since Yorke, his passion for the game, his willingness to always give his all and also because when you see him play, or not play, when you hear or read interviews he shows that he clearly loves Aston Villa. Can't understand how, really, the way he was treated in the beginning and how he must've felt one day or another that he could've gone to a better club, but he does. That alone makes him halfway a hero for me.

I still want him as a playing coach at Villa. Know that's an Utopia but I'm sometimes very naive and stubborn. :D

Paul McGrath, Ian Taylor, Gordan Cowans to name but three are examples of Villa heroes for me. Angel falls way short of these. Dwight Yorke is the best striker we have had for 15 years and I wouldn't regard him as a hero either.

Angel was an excellent player for 2 seasons but due to managerial changes and injuries his career stalled and he has never reached the highs of 3/4 seasons ago. He has always remained professional and conducted himself with dignity but he isn't someone I would afford hero status,not even close.

I have a delightful mental picture one person frantically trying to hit the white box after "flop" time and time again.

:lol: :lol: Can't imagine who you're thinking about but sounded very funny indeed... :lol:

I absolutely love him (not in the same way as Hev, obviously) as a person, and I used to love him as a player. He probably isn't good or fit enough to be a part of Aston Villa any more, even if I would've enjoyed seeing a Juan Pabo Angel in his prime play for Randy Lerner's Aston Villa.

He'll always be a hero for me, for being such a nice guy and for being a rather decent player for Aston Vila.

"In many myths and folk tales, a hero is a man or woman (the latter often called a heroine), traditionally the protagonist of a story, legend or saga, who commonly possesses abilities or character far greater than that of a typical person, which enable him or her to perform some truly extraordinary, beneficial deed (a "heroic deed") for which he or she is famous. These powers are sometimes not only of the body but also of the mind. Heroes are typically opposed by villains."

Hero of the time, not one that will remain when compared to the recent legends so many refer to, like the 81 and 82 sides, even if some of those were less talented!

Much maligned due to the fee paid, something that was not his fault; referred t oas having one good season - another misnomer.

Hero - not sure.

Wasted talent - 100% sure.

I think it's a shame because I reckon the last few games would have seen JPA prosper. For years JPA and the fans have had to suffer long ball shit and recently due to the introduction of Berger we've actually started to pass the ball. I'm sure this is the style of play JPA has waited for and it's a shame it's come when he's out of the frame. The last couple of games are the first examples of us penetrating a defence and putting dangerous balls across goal since the season he scored 23.

Angel has a good vision and header, but his pace is terrible and he misses too many sitters. Positioning not great, not enough time in the Premiership, good general passing. On top of that he suffers from bad self-esteem about 90% of a season and it's so easy/painful to watch at times.

I don't think I can polarise my opinion of him so I can't vote. I'll remember him fondly when he's gone but I won't miss him. A quality player, a gentleman, yet a hugely inconsistent and sometimes totally ineffective performer. I still think he would have been better suited to the Spanish league (I think he could have been a true great there in fact) but whatever happens at the end of this season I wish him all the best.

based purely on footballing contribution for the £9.5m invested, i had to say flop.

he has not justified that price tag, even though i think he has a good degree of talent

As a person, a great guy, and he's gone through a lot for the villa cause.

Contribution on the pitch has not, overall IMO, been significant enough to label him a hero though.

If there was an option for in-between I would have voted that, but having witnessed the Chelsea goal, and that wonderful season where he was on fire, the man is a hero in my eyes.

9.5 Million for a striker who has had one good season is not my idea of a top class goal scorer. A nice bloke definatly, and fair play to him for sticking at it through the rough times, but certainly not worthy of the number 9 shirt. Still i wish him all the best for the remainder of his career where ever it lies, and no one wanted him to become a superstar striker more than me...... just like collymore.....and baros......and..................

BRING BACK A PETER WITHE!

Not worthy of the number nine shirt? Who do you think we are, Brazil? We have had some appauling players in the past who have worn that shirt, Angel has been one of te better ones and is fully worthy to wear that number.

As for one good season, not even worth a reply.

Beyond settling in and before his injury which has clearly lost him a yard of pace: hero, during settling in and after his injury: flop. People will say we never saw the best of Juan but during the period when he was good he was amazing and scored goals off little or no service.

For me he will join the likes of Savo Milosevic and Ian Olney as players who scored goals and will be remembered for doing so, but he isn't in the same bracket as Yorke, Saunders and Withe.

Beyond settling in and before his injury which has clearly lost him a yard of pace: hero, during settling in and after his injury: flop. People will say we never saw the best of Juan but during the period when he was good he was amazing and scored goals off little or no service.

roughly my POV too Richard .....

Hero for me, loved watching him play when he was at his best, wished he was playing now I am sure Mon could build up that confidence.

One of the nicest looking men I have ever seen, he has gorgeous eyes If he goes what have the ladies left to look at.

Â