Destiny

PieFacE

Undead Nightmare for RDR was £7.99 I think, and it was huge for an 'expansion' and just as amazing as the main game. I never buy DLC unless I get my money's worth.

How much effort do you think went into this? 3 missions and they probably held it back from the release game. Just look at the free Skyrim mods to see how bad this deal is.

They're charging people for half of the game over again whilst giving you next to nothing in return too. DLC is rarely worth it, Borderlands 2 and GTA IV are the only games I can think of that didn't feel like cheap cash grabs.

Edited by Rino8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bought this over Easter in a sale and was pleasantly surprised. The story is utter bollocks but the gunplay is very solid.

The PVP is extremely fun as there is a greater TTK than other games which rewards accuracy rather then fast twitching.

Going to get House of Wolves this week as there's a horde mode (prison of Elders) which looks fun.

• 5 months later...

Pretty interesting article on what went wrong with Destiny. 'Tis a good read!

http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

In the summer of 2013, months before they were supposed to ship their next video game, the game developers at Bungie went into panic mode.

The storied studio, best known for creating the multi-million-selling Halo series, had spent the previous three years working on something they hoped would be revolutionary. Destiny, as they called it, was to be a cross between a traditional shooter like Halo and a massive multiplayer game like World of Warcraft. It was going to become a cultural touchstone. “We want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars,” Bungie COO Pete Parsons said in an interview two years ago. Reports suggested that the publisher Activision had committed to a ten-year deal worth $500 million to make that happen.

Two years ago, something went wrong. Destiny’s writing team, led by the well-respected Bungie veteran Joe Staten, had been working on the game for several years. They’d put together what they called the ‘supercut’—a two-hour video comprising the game’s cinematics and major story beats. In July, they showed it to the studio’s leadership. That’s when things went off the rails, according to six people who worked on Destiny. Senior staff at Bungie were unhappy with how the supercut had turned out. They decided it was too campy and linear, sources say, and they quickly decided to scrap Staten’s version of the story and start from scratch.

Continued in link....

Edited by PieFacE

The release of The Taken King has vastly improved the game, it's arguably now what it should have been upon release.

It's one of those games that, if it hooks you, you'll spend all your time on the grid.  But I know plenty of people get fed up with bowing down to the RNGods in order to progress your character.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2015 at 12:16, cudoz said:

The release of The Taken King has vastly improved the game, it's arguably now what it should have been upon release.

It's one of those games that, if it hooks you, you'll spend all your time on the grid.  But I know plenty of people get fed up with bowing down to the RNGods in order to progress your character.

Just came on to ask about this: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/destiny-the-taken-king-legendary-edition/cid=EP0002-CUSA00568_00-DESTINYTAKENLEGE?smcid=pdc:gb-en:pdc-buy-playstation-store:null:null:null:12-deals-three-column-01-ps4-en-zz-30nov15:gb-en:topnav-buy:ps_store:null:null

Worth purchasing at that price?

You can get The Taken King cheaper than that at CEX (I saw it for c£15 the other day...).  So I wouldn't buy the electronic copy from PS Store.

That being said, I'm still hooked, but that's mainly because I have a friends list of active player which makes the current end game content (raids) good fun.  It can still be frustrating but, as its a RNG based loot system, that is to be expected..

• Like 1

Pretty sure the Taken King part is a download code so be wary if you pick it up 2nd hand.

It is a massive improvement over the base game, but it has got harder to find groups for raids and all the year 1 content is now obsolete. If you're interested in things like the Sparrow racing League, Challenge Mode and the upcoming world event you will more than get your moneys worth.

It is, when I picked it up thinking it was the taken king for £8 thinking I'd be able to flog it for a bit more they told me they don't sell the taken king, they'll sell you destiny in a taken king box but the add on is a download voucher that is t included

It's a good price considering people who bought that content when it first came out would have spent £110+ on it.

I'd watch a few videos to see if you'd like it. If you like hunting loot or like the multiplayer, it's good value for money.

If you're looking for a single player narrative driven game then avoid as that part of the game is garbage.

6 hours ago, V01 said:

Pretty sure the Taken King part is a download code 

I did buy the digital copy on release so I didn't know that.  Thanks for clearing it up!

The gameplay is solid and they're working on new events.  I'd be happy to run y1 content if you do pick it up as I got in late myself.

• 2 weeks later...

create 3 characters and use the other 2 as extra storage.

Save as many blue engrams as you can for when you hit level 40.

decrypt said blue engrams one at a time and equip the highest light item each time.

pledge to a faction ASAP

Get your end game sub class fully levelled asap, (nightstalker for hunters, sunsinger for warlocks and defender for Titan Master Race)

get friends to drag you through missions

do as many of the weapon tests and daily bounties as you can each week

buy as many 3 of coins consumables as you can afford from Xur each week (Xur is is at a random place in the tower between friday morning and sunday morning)

Use one 3 of coins and the next time you kill an ultra you have a chance of getting an exotic engram

12 hours ago, DK82 said:

Got it yesterday and really enjoying it. Any tips @cudoz?

As above really.

Make sure you are the highest light possible when decrypting engrams, as they are more likely to decrypt into something which will increase your level.

Fill you bounties up at every possible opportunity.  The XP they provide is a major boon when leveling up characters.  You can hold 16 in total and they reset daily.

Save any motes of light until you are able to get legendary (purple) or exotic (yellow) gear.  You can now consume Motes for XP to level your gear and can save hours of grinding when you find a weapon you really like.

Play crucible...  Normal crucible removes any level advantages so it is a more even playing field.  I've found that you gain XP and level up quicker by mixing up crucible with regular PVE.  Also, complete the crucible bounties available from the bounty master and Lord Shaxx's crucible questline.  Shaxx's quest provides you access to more bounties which provide some decent end game gear.

Avoid Iron Banner until you reach 280 / 290 light.  It starts on 29th December and is crucible with level advantages enabled.  You get some great gear from it, but at a low level it's quite disheartening.

Have fun!  Feel free to add me (cudoz279 - PS4).  Quite happy to run any content with you!

Pretty good post on reddit with more tips

Step 1) Don't use your spark to get to level 25 (use that for your 2nd or 3rd character).

-You can only design each of your 3 characters once--you're stuck with it. Make one character of each type (warlock, hunter, titan).

-Do the first couple of missions twice so you can get to level 4 without trouble.

-Once you hit level 4, you can get bounties at the Tower. Bounties give you a quick xp boost and increase your vanguard, faction (unlocked later), and crucible rank (once you hit rank 3, you start getting random packages from the vanguard/crucible, which you want).

-If I had to do it again, I would do the day's bounties while doing missions and stop when the bounties are complete. Having vanguard/crucible/faction rank is really important when it comes to getting decent weapons.

-The first playthrough is a bit rough if you're on the level of the mission--you want to stay a couple levels above to make it easy.

-Ditch that first auto rifle as soon as possible. Scout rifle/pulse rifle/hand cannon is the way to go. It's also important to get the hang of sniper rifles and shotguns early on.

-Patrols are a good way to get that extra xp early. You can level up pretty fast picking up those beacons and killing everything in sight.

-While you're on patrol, you'll see these random little things to pick up (spinmetal, helium filaments, relic iron, spirit bloom, and wormspore). You'll need as much of this as possible. Seriously. Grab about 200 of each at least. Your weapon and armor collection upgrading will eat these up.

-Speaking of that, don't bother spending glimmer and whatnot on upgrading green and blue armor and weapons. You'll be replacing it soon enough with good purples (legendary) and yellows (exotic).

-While you're in patrol areas, you'll see public events. Some of these can be a pain if you're alone, but if you see a level 40 around, go ahead and join. You'll get motes of light. You'll need lots of motes of light. They're pretty useful in year 2. Stockpile a lot of them.

-As you go along, you'll get these random strange coins. They don't really make much sense until you're further along in the game. These really only have one use--buying stuff from this dude Xur who shows up in a few spawnspots in the Tower/Reef every Friday/Saturday. He sells exotics and a few other useful things.

-Once you hit level 15 with any of your characters, it unlocks your subclasses for all your characters. Each subclass has its uses. You'll level them all up eventually, but I'd recommend fully leveling up one before moving on.

-Titan subclasses: Defender/Void. The bubble boy is clutch for teamwork on strikes and raids. In my experience, it's the most useful of the titan subclasses. The extra damage from weapons of light makes everything go faster in strikes/raids. Sunbreaker/Solar. This guy is great for clearing rooms in PvE and excellent for PvP. You throw hammers around and burn things. Really fun.

-Hunter subclasses: Nightstalker/Void. This is clutch in PvE. Tethering a boss with your super, combined with the Bubble Boy's weapons of light can take down a boss in no time. Golden Gunner/Solar.

-Warlock subclasses: Stormcaller/Arc. It's pretty fun. Great for clearing rooms of low-level adds. Sunsinger/Solar. This one is clutch. I'd upgrade this one first. You get self-resurrection if you die, which is important for soloing difficult stuff and for Hard Mode raids. You can also prevent wipes in strikes and whatnot. For PvP, switch from self-res to radiant skin, super, get a melee hit and get your flame shield, and you're indestructible.

-Damage types. You'll notice that your subclass and weapons have damage types associated with them (arc/solar/void). These damage types are used for taking down the shields of certain enemies such as knights, wizards, captains, minotaurs. You match the color of the damage type to the color of the halo around the enemy.

-You will want to stockpile all the glimmer pills you can (ether seeds, black wax idol, resupply codes, and blue polyphage). You'll need these later to get your glimmer back up when you run out.

-You'll start to get Legendary Marks. These max out at 200, but you can buy stuff and keep getting more. They're shared between all characters, so just be aware of that.

Â