Valentines Day

AVFCLaura

For the first time since we've been together (twenty years) I stood by my earlier statement in this thread and didn't get my fiancée a card.

Didn't think she was going to get me one either as she has been very unwell over the last year but after she went to bed tonight I walked into the living room and noted a card propped on top of the fireplace which contained a very heart felt message thanking me for looking after her.

Unbeknown to me she had gone out earlier today through all that awful weather just to get me a card.

Feel a right b..t..d.

• Like 1

For the first time since we've been together (twenty years) I stood by my earlier statement in this thread and didn't get my fiancée a card.

Didn't think she was going to get me one either as she has been very unwell over the last year but after she went to bed tonight I walked into the living room and noted a card propped on top of the fireplace which contained a very heart felt message thanking me for looking after her.

Unbeknown to me she had gone out earlier today through all that awful weather just to get me a card.

Feel a right b..t..d.

Yet the whole business with your aunt is okay?

• Like 2

Didn't think she was going to get me one either as she has been very unwell over the last year but after she went to bed tonight I walked into the living room and noted a card propped on top of the fireplace which contained a very heart felt message thanking me for looking after her.Unbeknown to me she had gone out earlier today through all that awful weather just to get me a card.

Feel a right b..t..d.

Yet the whole business with your aunt is okay?

No mate I generally feel a right sod most of the time even though that side of things has now stopped but I feel even worse now.

Ended up spunking a load of money on a f'ing awful meal, they even forgot about one of the courses. Was genuinely looking forward to it as well. Think I'll be cooking for the two of us next year.

If the meal was that bad, why pay for it?

Ended up spunking a load of money on a f'ing awful meal, they even forgot about one of the courses. Was genuinely looking forward to it as well. Think I'll be cooking for the two of us next year.

Because Meath_Villan is a friend.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things it wasn't worth kicking up a fuss given the setting (I also get genuinely embarrassed seeing waiters berated by unhappy diners) but I will be writing to them, which will be the first time I have done so in my life.

Where did you go as a matter of interest?  I'm amazed that restaurants balls Valentine's Day meals up.  They tend to just do a set menu, so how do they get things wrong?

Because they either over book or understaff or a mix of the two. Then they try and maximise profits by putting up the price and reducing the quality / quantity of the ingredients. Going out for a meal on VD is a mugs game. You're much better off buying some quality ingredients and doing it yourself

• Like 1

Having worked in hotels and restaurants, key dates such as Valentines, Christmas, New Year etc are best avoided. It's maximum profit and often involves calling in lots of agency people and compromising your ingredients.

Â