13 points?

Dodgyknees

and 17 points in 13 games with the bottom half isn't all that bad though really? 

That would mean 8 points from the games with teams around us that are left. So that would be us on 36 points, with 6 other games to pick up points from then even the type of form being pointed out a bad will be enough to get to 40 points.

There is a little bit of delusion on this site at the moment. 17 points from 13 games AGAINST CLUBS IN THE BOTTOM HALF is pretty awful, the 17th worst record in the league.

And going one post up to lexicon, if we are really now taking the last four games as "current form" then our current form is  actually 4 points from the last four games, not 7. You only get 7 by carefully selecting the category of games you are counting. Let's stick with that phrase and I'll drop "cherrypicking" if people don't like it.

by not all that bad I merely meant that it would be good enough to keep us up even without any sort of improvement. 

not personally thining it would be a massive acheivement, was just pointing out it wouldn't exactly take us down from where we are. neither will are current points per game.  

personally I think we stand a good chance of winning 4 more games this seaosn and getting more than 13 points between now and the end of the season.... but i am a deluded mentalist for being positive though I spose...

and 17 points in 13 games with the bottom half isn't all that bad though really?

That would mean 8 points from the games with teams around us that are left. So that would be us on 36 points, with 6 other games to pick up points from then even the type of form being pointed out a bad will be enough to get to 40 points.

There is a little bit of delusion on this site at the moment. 17 points from 13 games AGAINST CLUBS IN THE BOTTOM HALF is pretty awful, the 17th worst record in the league.

And going one post up to lexicon, if we are really now taking the last four games as "current form" then our current form is actually 4 points from the last four games, not 7. You only get 7 by carefully selecting the category of games you are counting. Let's stick with that phrase and I'll drop "cherrypicking" if people don't like it.

Well said.

Why do we need 13 more points btw?

You didn't need 40 points last season, in 2011/12, 10/11, 09/10, 08/09, 07/08 etc to survive, nowadays teams on 38 points are fine and our goal difference isn't too bad compared to a lot below us (although I accept our two annual thrashings still to come in Manchester will mess that up a bit).

If people are that downbeat on us not even reaching 40 points, there's no way they can convince me that WBA, Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff for a start are all effortleslly going to reach that figure particularly as they'll all be playing each other in the run in for a start.

• Like 2

Villa will most likely be fine. People say injuries are part of the game, and that's true, but villa have had worse luck than most sides this year. If the key players stay it the side will easily get 3 or 4 wins. Also, the remaining home fixtures are kind enough that villa should get 3 wins.

Villa will most likely be fine. People say injuries are part of the game, and that's true, but villa have had worse luck than most sides this year. If the key players stay it the side will easily get 3 or 4 wins. Also, the remaining home fixtures are kind enough that villa should get 3 wins.

Our main key player this year is Vlaar. He's started 20 of our 26 league games.

Benteke has started 19 of our 26 league games.

Injuries is a poor excuse for such an awful season.

Agreed. I think around 36 points will be enough to stay up this season.

That means we would only need another 8 points.

Which is probably just as well.

I think you're most probably spot on - certainly 37 points will be enough and maybe only 36.

We'll be fine again this season but overall it's unacceptable.

Most clubs don't miss their two most expensive signings for over half the season. Plus the season really isn't awful yet anyway

Most clubs don't miss their two most expensive signings for over half the season. Plus the season really isn't awful yet anyway

The season isn't awful? Based on what?

The bottom clubs seem to have crept up on us. The gap is not so big now. Tomorrow is HUGE.

None of the teams below us won today and the only two to gain any points drew against each other. I don't think tomorrow is huge, it will be a difficult game and I'd be more than happy with a point away at Newcastle. 

Norwich on the other hand will be a game where we really need to pick up 3 points.

• Like 1

Regardless of the result tomorrow, we will still be 4 points above Sunderland and 6 points above Cardiff and 7 points above Fulham. We are still 3 points above West Brom and Norwich (in 16th and 17th respectively) No team has crept on us today. We've had some luck with results today and a win tomorrow puts us level on points with West Ham in 10th.

• Like 2

The bottom clubs seem to have crept up on us. The gap is not so big now. Tomorrow is HUGE.

None of the teams below us won today and the only two to gain any points drew against each other. I don't think tomorrow is huge, it will be a difficult game and I'd be more than happy with a point away at Newcastle. 

Norwich on the other hand will be a game where we really need to pick up 3 points.

I would very much like a win tomorrow so we can keep pace with Hull and West Ham, who just seem to be pulling away from the following "pack". Staying 4 or 5 points off a relegation place seems very tight.

If we don't win tomorrow then the Norwich game really WILL be "must win" and it would be unhelpful to have such pressure on our young and somewhat limited squad if it can be avoided.

Newcastle are in disarray and there can rarely have been a better time to press for a home win.

It is becoming clear we need to battle against the teams below us, to make sure we do not get relegated.

There is a good possibility we could get sucked down into it.

I'm not suggesting we will go down, but there is a great amount of bunching up happening below us.

So, where should we get 13 points, to get us to the magical 40?

Cardiff (A)

Newcastle (A)

Norwich (H)

Man City (A)

Chelsea (H)

Stoke (H)

Man U (A)

Fulham (H)

Palace (A)

Southampton (H)

Swansea (A)

Hull (H)

Spurs (A)

13 games, 13 points needed. Find them!

Red = the important games, the sort we usually lose!

40 points won't be needed this season. Fulham and Cardiff are going down and I don't think Palace's defense will keep them out of trouble either but if they do it will be Norwich to take the plunge.

Apart from the Swansea fixture Villa have the right home and away fixtures to make sure they stay out of trouble.

Bloody hell, I can only see 9 more points for the season looking at fixtures.

Would love a win tomorrow so much with my housemate being a Newcastle fan, and it would be a bit like us to just pull one from nowhere.

Can't see it though sadly and I think we're in serous relegation trouble  :o

Edited by Tomaszk

Cardiff are gone already imo...only way will they even get 15 more points this season and their goal difference is hopeless aswell. Fulham will pick up a little now under Mgarth but still tough to see them getting 6 wins from 11 games.

I also think, Norwich West Brom and Palace will struggle to get much above 36 points. The final relegated team will be from those three.

We'll be fine as long as we get 4 points from our next two, easier said than done of course but this is a good time to be playing Newcastle and then Norwich.

Â