13 points?

Dodgyknees

Lucky manager? Far from it. Think we'll be fine. There are far worse sides in the league and we'll pick up enough points to finish away from danger.

I say again, when he has needed a win to keep pressure off him (such as times when we've lost two in a row) he has somehow managed to get it, yet the team can remarkably get results against the liked of Man City (they were robbed), Arsenal and Liverpool (we were robbed). A good manager can motivate his team to play against teams at all levels, a good manager would notice that constantly playing with no wide players puts his fullbacks under huge pressure, and results in them making mistakes. A good manager would have known this after 10 minutes against West Ham, and not after we'd gone 2-0 down. Most fans have known we need wide players for the last two years.

He seems tactically poor and yet somehow lucky to me.

I don't think we'll be relegated, but i'm not sure i trust the manager in the long term, it's like Martin O'neill all over again....Plan A, then Plan A, and if that doesn't work Plan A. We go again !

Its disgusting we even have to be talking about relagation, 4th year running and were at the same point in the season where were looking down the fixtures working out where are points are coming from. Then lambert comes out and says " we'll thrive on the pressure of a dogfight" shocking, stomach turning

See: the bigger picture.

Whatever that is.

I'm amazed at how many people think there are '3 teams worse than us'...

Really?!

Take away some of the shock wins, Arsenal, City and Southampton, and we're on 21. In 2 of those games the performance levels were pretty poor wi luck going our way. Some of our other wins have been while playing incredibly poorly.

We really struggle with basic footballing skills at times and we look like a bunch of players who've never met before. I honestly don't agree that there are 3 worse teams. Half of our team would be decent in the Championship, others not even there...we're just lucky we have at least a few players with some quality...but even they're not firing consistently.

When we are bad, we are terrible...and we are bad for about 80% of the time. Plus, we have just lost to West Ham, 0-2 AT HOME and we couldn't beat '1 win in 6' Cardiff after we played (another) disgraceful half of football.

A couple of results have papered over the cracks this year and I think that come May, we will be very lucky to still be a Premier League team.

Edited by AVFCAM
  • Like 1

Really?!

Take away some of the shock wins, Arsenal, City and Southampton, and we're on 21. In 2 of those games the performance levels were pretty poor wi luck going our way. Some of our other wins have been while playing incredibly poorly.

We really struggle with basic footballing skills at times and we look like a bunch of players who've never met before. I honestly don't agree that there are 3 worse teams. Half of our team would be decent in the Championship, others not even there...we're just lucky we have at least a few players with some quality...but even they're not firing consistently.

When we are bad, we are terrible...and we are bad for about 80% of the time. Plus, we have just lost to West Ham, 0-2 AT HOME and we couldn't beat '1 win in 6' Cardiff after we played (another) disgraceful half of football.

A couple of results have papered over the cracks this year and I think that come May, we will be very lucky to still be a Premier League team.

I agree, they should just send us to the conference now. We’re that shit at ALL times and never do anything well!

Really?!

I hate repeating myself, but if not a couple of unlucky draws or defeats (eg Liverpool 2-2, Chelsea 2-1, Yesterday's 0-0 where their asses were saved by Marshall) we would have been fighting for top 6. You simply CANNOT talk about 'lucky/unlucky' results. This is football. 

It's true, we have had bad luck as well, but how people can argue that we have been better than poor in the large part this year is beyond me.

Maybe I have high standards, but I for one think we are as bad as we've been for a long time...with the odd decent performance thrown in to offer us false hope.

Really?!

But why would you do that?

Those games happened.

That's like me saying "yeah but change 3 games we lost to wins and we'd be top 8!"

It doesn't make any sense. We didn't win those 3 games. Similarly we did win those games you've labelled as a "shock"

The Arsenal game was a fully deserved win. Yeah on paper Arsenal would be expected to win, but looking at the actual match and the respective performance of the two teams it was fully deserved victory. It was not a smash and grab like the 1-3 win at Anfield last season.

The bottom line is this, the club is exactly where they deserve to be, no higher and no lower.

Cardiff (A) - 1

Newcastle (A) - 0

Norwich (H) - 3

Man City (A) - 0

Chelsea (H) - 1

Stoke (H) - 1

Man U (A) - 0

Fulham (H) - 1

Palace (A) - 0

Southampton (H) - 1

Swansea (A) - 0

Hull (H) - 3

Spurs (A) - 0

------------------------------

I can only find 11, leaving us on 38.

On target right now.. Hoping we can have some unexpected wins to boost my predicted points total.

Really?!

Those games happened.

That's like me saying "yeah but change 3 games we lost to wins and we'd be top 8!"

It doesn't make any sense. We didn't win those 3 games. Similarly we did win those games you've labelled as a "shock"

My point was more about how freak results can't be used to justify why we'd stay up...also, there's not much in the way of evidence to show that we would be capable of winning those lost games, whereas there is a huge amount of evidence to justify how those results were out of the ordinary.

Really?!

Those games happened.

My point was more about how freak results can't be used to justify why we'd stay up...also, there's not much in the way of evidence to show that we would be capable of winning those lost games, whereas there is a huge amount of evidence to justify how those results were out of the ordinary.

So out of the ordinary results don't count?

This is a weird argument.

If we didn't have as many wins as we do, we'd be worse off than we are.

I don't disagree, I'm just not sure what that has to do with anything.

Yeah the results against Arsenal and Man City were lucky as hell, but they did happen. Beating Southampton away was also fortunate, but we all know Soton aren't good enough to be consistent at home like Manchester City. Saying that, no-one can take away our results in these games - and remember that both Cardiff and Sunderland have posted big wins this season. Cardiff beat Man City on the second day of the season, and my theory has always been that it's great to play the best teams early on. I don't think we would have stood a chance against Arsenal at Emirates when the season is set, but on the first day you have a much bigger shot. Cardiff also drew Everton and Man Utd at home. Sunderland have beaten both Man City at home and Everton away, the only two games they won in 11 games. What about Stoke? They drew Man City at home, won against Chelsea at home, held Everton and won against Man Utd last week. Hull beat Liverpool 3-1 out of the blue at home, and I guess all these games can be deemed lucky as the best teams squandered chances just like they did against us.

You get points you don't really deserve and and lose some you really deserve. Beating Arsenal was great, but we only took one point on Tuesday when we could/should have beaten Cardiff in the second half. Over 38 games it always equals out, very few teams have rode their luck and gotten something more than deserved over so many games.

I view myself as a realist, probably looked at as a pessimist on here, but that's how a forum works when everybody support the same team. I am the kind of guy who don't get behind people like Alex McLeish when we sign him on and expect him to do something he has never done before, aka blind faith. And for that reason, people should take it as a good sign when I don't think we will go down this season  :D

• Like 1

I'm not sure you can call the Arsenal win "lucky as hell"

An anomaly, sure. But we were very good that day and Arsenal weren't. It's not like they hit the woodwork a dozen times and had 30 shots on target. We beat them fair and square, albeit with the odd dubious ref decision, but I think it evened out seeing as Sczezny should have been off.

The wins against Arsenal, Man C and Southampton away were all well-earned in my view. They weren't lucky, but they were unexpected. That's 9 points we couldn't have banked on. So the fact that we are now only 4 points above the relegation zone suggests we have squandered 5 of our 9 "bonus" points and have indeed been well below mid table par in most of our other games. let's hope the remaining 4 bonus points give us enough of a cushion to stay up despite the poor football we are playing.

Although with the same manager and squad, it's hard to see what the point of scraping another premier league season would be.

Â