13 points?

Dodgyknees

A feeling, what are you basing yours on?

I said above. Our overall form over the season so far and our form over the last 12 games as we have 12 games left.

Like I said ones based on fact and ones based on hope.

It isnt based on fact has it hasn't happened,  if you see what I mean

Mine is based on a feeling we will do better and improve

Yours is based on a feeling we will at best perform the same.

Neither of us is right or wrong on that and we wont know who was until the end of the season, like I say it is about how you look at it.

Ive been pretty accurate with my final league position predictions over the past few years (except the McLeish season)... and this year I predicted 10-12th at the start of the season.

I'm now going with 12th.

I realise this will need a pickup from our current season form which would leave us on 41points I think... but stranger things have happened.

I dont think we are in real danger of relegation like we were in the McLeish season, even though the possibility is there.

Red = the important games, the sort we usually lose!

Like the back end of last season when we beat Reading, QPR, Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich? All big games with teams more or less around us. 

We'll be fine this season, I'm not remotely worried about relegation. 

• Like 1

Ive been pretty accurate with my final league position predictions over the past few years (except the McLeish season)... and this year I predicted 10-12th at the start of the season.

I'm now going with 12th.

I realise this will need a pickup from our current season form which would leave us on 41points I think... but stranger things have happened.

I dont think we are in real danger of relegation like we were in the McLeish season, even though the possibility is there.

We were never seriously in danger of relegation in the McLeish season because we had amassed enough points in the first half of the season to cushion us from the appalling decline in form in the second half. Last season we were firmly in the relegation zone at the turn of the year and only survived because of a remarkable transformation in our form after January.

This season we have 9 unexpected points from Arsenal, Man C and Southampton to cushion us in what is a very closely bunched bottom 11. We should be OK but it will be a nerve wracking time, I feel.

Edited by briny_ear

we have taken 7 points in the last 4 games against team around us

We have showed against Sunderland, West Brom and Liverpool if we play well we can get results.

Cherry picking stats may make us feel better but it can't cover up the true situation about our form. Why choose the last 4 games against the bottom half to judge our form? Oh, because it makes things look as good as they possibly could be. We have taken 1 point from the "teams around us" in the last 2 games and 17 points in 13 games with the bottom half. Why are those stats not relevant?

and 17 points in 13 games with the bottom half isn't all that bad though really? 

That would mean 8 points from the games with teams around us that are left. So that would be us on 36 points, with 6 other games to pick up points from then even the type of form being pointed out a bad will be enough to get to 40 points.

and 17 points in 13 games with the bottom half isn't all that bad though really? 

That would mean 8 points from the games with teams around us that are left. So that would be us on 36 points, with 6 other games to pick up points from then even the type of form being pointed out a bad will be enough to get to 40 points.

There is a little bit of delusion on this site at the moment. 17 points from 13 games AGAINST CLUBS IN THE BOTTOM HALF is pretty awful, the 17th worst record in the league.

And going one post up to lexicon, if we are really now taking the last four games as "current form" then our current form is  actually 4 points from the last four games, not 7. You only get 7 by carefully selecting the category of games you are counting. Let's stick with that phrase and I'll drop "cherrypicking" if people don't like it.

• Like 1

Fair enough - didn't see that, my mistake. 

To be honest though, the true situation of our form is that it's not that good and it's not that bad - last 5 games puts us 13th in the league in terms of form, which is more or less where we are now. 

Â