13 points?

Dodgyknees

Even if you write off the two Manchester trips and the Chelsea game as games we won't get any points in - and you probably can - that leaves us 7 games in which to get two wins, a number of which are against teams worse than ourselves. I know we aren't good enough at home - it bothers me too - but we have beaten Cardiff, Albion & Norwich at home already this season, there's no reason we couldn't do the same to Hull or Fulham. Especially seeing as Fulham are starting to get cut adrift, and may soon go into 'we're already relegated' resignation mode. 

We've been disappointing this season, but we're not going to go down, and 10th should be the target. It really isn't impossible, and none of the teams around us are miles better than us. It's a damning indictment of the league this year though that a team as weak as we are could realistically finish 10th. We can't rely on the overall quality being as bad next year. 

The thing with us we are capable on our day of beating anybody and also losing to anybody, so i wouldn't write off any game nor would expect to beat the teams at the bottom of the table.

I can't remember a season when the top half and bottom half were so separate.

I think the whole of the bottom half have been poor this season.

Definitely a feature of this season, I'm not entirely sure it's that the bottom half are worse though just that the mythical "big 4" is more like 6 or 7 teams with very, very tidy squads capable of finishing in the top 4. Then there's 2 or 3 who are pushing to get in that bracket and then there's all the rest. The amount of points "left over" from the bigger group of teams winning most of the time is a lot smaller than normal, and that has in effect cut the league in half. It's almost like 2 divisions rather than one.

It'll be interesting to see whether the big clubs that have Champions League budgets manage to survive outside of that competition for a year or two, and keep up the same level of squad. 6 into 4 doesn't go and so 2 of them aren't going to make it every year with things as it stands. At the other end, it'll be interesting if we can step up a level to where Southampton and Newcastle are in the league next year. Right now that gap looks enormous from 10th to 9th.

All we can do this season is try and repeat our finish from last season, beat the teams in around us like last year and we'll get another 4 or 5 wins and finish 10th. A coupel of wins will probably see us safe, but that won't have everyone feeling confident going into next year and will also mean I lose my annual bet with a Hammer mate. Which is a tragedy considering where they were just a few weeks ago ;)

• Like 1

Stoke game now looks very winnable....Walters and Adam (that fat mug is always a pain when he plays against us) both suspended and they struggle to score at full strength. Will mean a start for Ireland though....

7 points from Fulham, Stoke and Palace will see us safe and probably on course for a 10th place finish. Looks realistic but then we've been rubbish at the easier games for most of this season.

Have to assume Hull will get to the cup final...is it still on the penultimate weekend of the season as we actually play them at VP on that weekend.

They should be safe by then so would imagine they'd play their reserves v us (although long and Jelavic are cup tied so they'll probably play).

Going to have a lie down with the prospect we might actually win another home game between now and the end of the season!

• Like 1

Have to assume Hull will get to the cup final...is it still on the penultimate weekend of the season as we actually play them at VP on that weekend.

They should be safe by then so would imagine they'd play their reserves v us (although long and Jelavic are cup tied so they'll probably play).

Going to have a lie down with the prospect we might actually win another home game between now and the end of the season!

The final this year is on 17th May, once the premier league season is over.

Our match with Hull is 3 May so maybe it's more likely their players will be playing for a place in the Wembley side if they are still in the cup by that stage.

Shame Fulham couldn't hang on for a draw yesterday as that would have probably condemned Cardiff too.

I wouldn't worry too much. I watched most of that game and although it was a great victory for Cardiff, there was still very little in actual quality on show from them. Their decision-making when going forward, in particular, was diabolical. I doubt they would've beaten any other team in the league with the same display. They are effectively a Championship quality squad from top to bottom which is why I can't really blame Solskjær if he does fail to keep them up. The decision by Mackay to spend practically all of his budget on three players was extremely misjudged...to put it politely.

I can't remember a season when the top half and bottom half were so separate.

I think the whole of the bottom half have been poor this season.

As exemplified by the fact that West Ham and ourselves are 10th and 11th respectively despite us both being very, very poor for the vast majority of the season.

Edited by Isa

Stoke game now looks very winnable....Walters and Adam (that fat mug is always a pain when he plays against us) both suspended and they struggle to score at full strength. Will mean a start for Ireland though....

I was thinking SI would be ineligable but just remembered they signed him in the end, ah well if we dont nullify him then we are toilet, even Mark Hughes has realised he's a waste of space now and has relegated him to the bench. Delph/El Ahmadi should be able to do a job on him anyway. That game has draw written all over it for me, only 1 win at home vs. Stoke since theyve been a Prem side I think when Carew booted the flag lol

Cardiff (A) - 1

Newcastle (A) - 0

Norwich (H) - 3

Man City (A) 

Chelsea (H) - 3

Stoke (H) - 

Man U (A)

Fulham (H)

Palace (A)

Southampton (H)

Swansea (A)

Hull (H)

Spurs (A)

7 points done, 6 left to get. Easy. 

Edited by Danwichmann

I bet Man Utd aren't looking forward to us going there. Carry a bit of momentum through beating Stoke and they won't fancy facing us at all.

we've beaten Arsenal, man city and chelsea this season, man utd should be a doddle.
  • Like 1

Â