Metal Gear Solid

villarule123

That would be the dreaded controller drift, happens to all controllers eventually (or regularly if you play FIFA)

last Fifa I played was 13 because it came with my one but I still had to play it on the d-pad. Cannot do it on thumb stick & I always have to set it to pro evo buttons, even though the last one I played was 10 years ago.

I gave up on FIFA last November, was only bothered about clubs and that is criminally ignored so they can work on the cash cow that is FUT or gimmicks like slightly different skins for the women's teams they've added this year.

back on topic, I didn't pick this up because of some furore over microtransactions, sounds like I'm missing out. (I'm enjoying Mad Max instead, except for the **** load times)

This is great.  If you haven't already, you really should be listening to the cassette tapes (you can play the tape, then carry on with whatever you were doing, you don't have to sit there looking at the player), it just adds another layer of gloss when you're travelling around.

I visited Mother Base for the first time last night, going to have a lot of fun playing around with that.

Captured my first Interpretor (which is a Secondary Mission, you should hit that as early as you can so you can interrogate people for info), and superior officer who unfortunately didn't make it to Mother Base because I Fulton delivered him in a sand storm :lol:

Another tip, is use your night goggles, they highlight items such as flowers you can pick, animals, enemies and resources.

I've played for 4 hours, done 2% of the game and I just can't wait to pick it up again, there's just nothing about it I'm not enjoying at the moment, even the L3 drift isn't doing my head in.

One last thing, is that even though you may get spotted, that still doesn't take any enjoyment away for me.  I've completed all of the other MGS's without getting spotted and not killing anyone (apart from MGS1), but I want to play this organically, which so far, is perfect.

• Like 2

Just finished Ground Zeroes... How the **** did they get away with charging £40 for that!!!

It was very good but as you all know, 1-2 hours long for a full price, disgraceful. I'm still gonna buy Phantom Pain though :P

Ground Zeroes was overpriced but there is a fair amount of content in it if you're prepared to absolutely rinse it. The additional missions add a few hours gameplay and the game is effectively set up to be replayed multiple times in different ways.

Ground Zeroes was my first proper foray into MGS. I had played around with the old PS2 games before but never really got into it. Really enjoyed Ground Zeroes after a frustrating start, and it has made me get Phantom Pain. I am currently trying to extract all the prisoners etc from GZ for each mission as I read that they can then appear in your mother base in PP.

Will start PP next week I think, once i've rinsed GZ.

I am loving this game so far. It creates moments that seem quite unique.

For example it is nightfall, and I begin sneaking around the first enemy base you really have to deal with. Taking out unsuspecting guards one by one and dragging them some where out of sight.

I sneak into a room where one guy is sleeping, I'd previously marked him so I knew he was there.

What I didn't count on was that he was with a mate who was very much awake. I gave a loud 'OH ****!!!!', shat myself momentarily and then quickly took him out slamming him over my shoulder and managed not to wake up the other guy.

The lighting and the music adds to the genuine tension you feel when sneaking around knowing there's probably a word removed lurking that you haven't tagged yet about to blow your plans to shite. It's incredibly immersive. 

I scout from a high place, then do the same from a perpendicular angle, so you can see length and breadth of the base. and can see down most gullies which is where the enemies patrol.

I try not to affect any of the bases, I get in, hit one or two people with Tranq guns, get the target and leave as quickly as possible.

I will however hit special infantry for the sake of improving Mother Base, but I won't bother wasting bullets/suppressors on grunts.

• Like 1

Scout from high nearby, then sneak in, carefully taking everyone down with tranqs and chokes if needed, try and interrogate a couple if opportunity arises.

Saying that not every base can be taken like that, and some missions don't require it. A couple of the 'extract high value soldier' side ops I've fast tracked things, quickly scouting it before basically storming through taking out who needs to go and snatching the target as quickly as possible.

If you are very much a sneaking player the game gives you perks and tools that assist that as you progress...

Edited by Chindie

The first Metal Gear Solid (1999) is the most engrossed I've ever been by a game's story.  I'd love the two NES games to get the remake treatment at some point.

With regards to this one, I had to take out a target yesterday and I had their route shown on my map (they were on a truck).  Stuck a C4 in the middle of the road, hid in the bush with my finger on the detonator, waited for the truck to pass and BOOM!  Beautiful.

I don't know if the olga battle would be lost now because of all the advances but at the time it was brilliant, shooting bits of the scenery? Shoot the hooks on the tarpaulin and it flies off? :o

Personally I think 2 had my favourite scene from any MGS game

when you're shooting at her that bullets dodge and one flies off and shoots vamp in the head

Â