Metal Gear Solid

villarule123

So this is available with PS+ this month. 

I'm having great fun, although I am really bad at this. 

I've managed to get massively in debt and I'm not sure how and I just spent the best part of 2 hours attempting to crack a side mission to rescue a hostage. 

After multiple failed attempts, I managed to wipe the base out completely without being spotted only to fall off a ledge. Gah! It's a pain that you can't save more frequently. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It's the best game.

It is absolutely brilliant, there's just so much variety in the ways you can play, and at times it's genuinely bonkers.  Just a couple of things stop it being the greatest game ever; the really piss poor microtransactions, and the botched second half.  Oh and the opening scenes in the hospital which is as bad an intro to a game as there's ever been.

27 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's probably at least the 3rd, and realistically 4th best MGS game in the series. 

I don't literally think it's the best game ever. Just a turn of phrase after how much I enjoyed it despite its faults.

I'd put at third I think in the series. MGS has the top spot sealed up, it's probably the best example of an approachable stealth game with that perfect mix of game tropes and anime madness smashed into an action movie plot. Also remains one of the best examples of a game nailing that feeling of the whole thing being 1 operation for 1 guy, with the single setting and feeling of it all being over in a day or so.

MGS 3 I'd have second. Refines and augments the MGS2 gameplay perfectly for a Cold War setting, has a decent story that slots nicely into the mythos, appropriate madness levels and Kojima touches.

5 has fantastic gameplay. It's so different but gives so much freedom. Falls down on the story, because it's obviously unfinished and sits slightly awkwardly, and some of the multiplayer stuff is grim.

2 was great at the time but the madness goes too far imo and Raiden is a weak protagonist, and the attempt at trying to remake MGS1 isn't as clever as the game thinks it is. Great moments but I'll replay all of the above before I go back to 2. I'd put the Twin Snakes above 2 even with the stupid John Woo shit and the fact the MGS2 gameplay breaks the first game.

Never played 4 unfortunately.

5 will probably make my top 10 of this gen fairly easily. It's so much fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I don't literally think it's the best game ever. Just a turn of phrase after how much I enjoyed it despite its faults.

I'd put at third I think in the series. MGS has the top spot sealed up, it's probably the best example of an approachable stealth game with that perfect mix of game tropes and anime madness smashed into an action movie plot. Also remains one of the best examples of a game nailing that feeling of the whole thing being 1 operation for 1 guy, with the single setting and feeling of it all being over in a day or so.

MGS 3 I'd have second. Refines and augments the MGS2 gameplay perfectly for a Cold War setting, has a decent story that slots nicely into the mythos, appropriate madness levels and Kojima touches.

5 has fantastic gameplay. It's so different but gives so much freedom. Falls down on the story, because it's obviously unfinished and sits slightly awkwardly, and some of the multiplayer stuff is grim.

2 was great at the time but the madness goes too far imo and Raiden is a weak protagonist, and the attempt at trying to remake MGS1 isn't as clever as the game thinks it is. Great moments but I'll replay all of the above before I go back to 2. I'd put the Twin Snakes above 2 even with the stupid John Woo shit and the fact the MGS2 gameplay breaks the first game.

Never played 4 unfortunately.

5 will probably make my top 10 of this gen fairly easily. It's so much fun.

I'd personally rank 5 behind MGS 3, MGS 1 and MGS 2 (in that order). MGS 5 is one of the biggest missed opportunities ever IMO. Amazing game play engine and look and some truly inspiring moments spoiled by the story's extremely poor execution (not enough cut scenes, which is funny given how many 4 had, and too much reliance on the cassette tapes). I also found the game too repetitive, some of the main missions were too similar and pointless (e.g. rescue some guy for no good reason) and the side ops were like that but on steroids. 

I've always had a strong bias for 2. I actually didn't find Raiden all that bad and I absolutely loved the insanity of it, the environment and the soundtrack. Probably my favourite out of the lot. 4 was very good but had too much insanity and too many cut scenes. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â