Anonymous (Hacktivists)

Guest av1

I've never understood what computer hackers get out of sending viruses and such like, but I've read again a story today about this group who have officially launched a campaign against the Japanese city of Taiji, which runs the infamous dolphin hunt. Which like some of their other such stands seems noble enough.

I'm torn however by the notion of breaking the law however noble the intentions.

Thoughts?

Edited by Guest

I quite like them really. They always try to do the right things and make some good valid points and I'm not too fussed they do that in an illegal manner. I mean, it's not as if they are hurting your every day individual, it's more against corporations and governments.There's a good documentary out there which is worth watching that shows more of what they've done. I find them quite interesting to be honest.

IMDB link to the film - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177843/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I quite like them really. They always try to do the right things and make some good valid points and I'm not too fussed they do that in an illegal manner. I mean, it's not as if they are hurting your every day individual, 

That is unless

a) you're a poor sod who'se had their personal information pastebin'd onto the internet as part of one of their "targeted campaigns" against one of those evil evil companies (see Sony's Playstation network DDoS attack in 2011 - which saw logon details, names, addresses credit card details stolen "for the lulz") or

b ) one of the people who decided to take up arms alongside their anonymous brethren and blast targets with the Low Orbitiing Ion Canon - only to find their weren't that anonymous afterall...

I've never understood what computer hackers get out of sending viruses and such like,

Money mostly, see the Blackhole Exploit kit, and more recently cryptolocker - gone are the days of viruses just yankee doodle dandy through your PC speaker...

Thing is, whilst they might do a lot of "good", their methods involve a lot of "innocent" people getting affected and are quite often "bad" - but as the saying goes, "one man's freedom fighter..."

Edit 1 - for some formatting

Edit 2 - as suggested below, no matter their motives or targets, I can't stress enough that partaking in any sort of DDoS attack will most likely land you in hot water (up to 10 years for a UK conviction) - just don't get involved.

Edited by CardiffGreens
  • Like 1

One of the guys in the college I went to was one of the top hackers for Anonymous. Five of them hacked something in the US but one of the hackers was based in the US and got caught by the FBI. They flipped him and he ratted out the other 4 who are all now awaiting extradition and facing 25 + years in prison.

Careful now.

Edited by villa89

DDoS attacks isn't really hacking though, is it? It's basically something anyone can do and overwhelms servers with millions upon millions of 'hits' so the site or server is inaccessible. A guy on a forum I used to use was pissed with the mods there once and hit the site with a DoS attack of his own. It never really seemed to be a very sophisticated way of doing things to me since then.I

I've never really taken them all that seriously though, although their aims and acts seem mostly just, due to fact that i can remember this and will always associate 'anon' this way;

609%2B-%2Ban-hero%2Bdesu%2Bpools-closed%

Remember Habbo? Man. Is it still a thing?

• Like 1

People seem to refer to Anonymous as some organised group, as though they have a mission statement and an annual general meeting.

In fact anyone who wants to do a bit o' hacking can call themselves Anonymous.

So to judge them favourably or unfavourably on the basis of any single action by people calling themselves Anonymous is silly.

People who have done things under the name vary from people with the most noble intentions, to credit card thieves via disgruntled employees.

if people didn't break the law occassionally we'd all live under a repressive regime of land owners ripping off the poor and telling them the alternative is economic ruin

so in other words only poor people are criminals ;)

or the more reason to keep them in their place :P

One of the guys in the college I went to was one of the top hackers for Anonymous. Five of them hacked something in the US but one of the hackers was based in the US and got caught by the FBI. They flipped him and he ratted out the other 4 who are all now awaiting extradition and facing 25 + years in prison.

Careful now.

So you knew the leader of Lulzec? He ratted his friends out because he got caught and he was scared for his children. Major prick.

Anyway, anonymous has gotten a lot bigger and I am willing to bet that most of the people that started it is not in it. Anyone can join and I guess that is the main point. They usually have a good cause but I feel it speeds up the inevitable of a restricted internet. 

Â