Sky V Virgin Media

kurtsimonw

Which one?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Sky?
    • Virgin Media?

Am I the only person who things Virgin's BB is absolute garbage?

We've had it since they overtook telewest and it's just got worse. We were upgraded to the 20MB connection for free and it hasn't improved at all. Constantly slow at evenings and it's quite common that a clip from youtube doesn't download quick enough for me to watch it straight away.

When doing speedtest.net i'm lucky if I reach 5MB.

As soon as Sky do their fastest package in our area i'm moving.

No you're not, but those that think it's crap are pretty rare.

As with anything, it really depends on your area, some areas (especially ex-ntl ones) are oversubscribed, and do have issues with speed because of that. Most areas though are pretty much perfect and you can get full speed all the time. They're upgrading the crappy ones pretty slowly, but there are still some places out there with pretty poor speeds.

VM though do have far less areas with speed issues than adsl, and most people can get the quoted line speeds, as opposed to it being the exception on adsl if you can get the quoted line speed.

after no replies to the reason i resurrected the thread (thanks haha) i just called up virgin and asked about whats going on, they have now given me a free months full sky sports so now i can watch the ashes which is great and some pre season friendlies too

Cobblers. Virgin Atlantic is an excellent airline and Virgin broadband is not only fast but good value. For the comparitively small sum of £30 I get their top TV package, 10 mb broadband and free anytime phone calls to land lines. I checked sky out last week and practically the cheapest deal I could do was about £35 and that was with slower broadband, less channels and free phonecalls limited to weekends.Also with Virgin you get to use their excellent Indian call centres when you have a problem. I prefer talking to someone in Mumbai these days as at least they appear to give a shit.

i have to agree with this.

Virgin Broadband is the best broadband. You get the speed they advertise, not like the rubbish through a BT line where it depends on how far you are from a server, and who else is using it in your street!

on my 2mb service, i could regularly get speeds of 3-4mb.

also, its a lot cheaper than Sky. People always forget with Sky you have to pay BT for a phone-line as well. Not with Virgin.

Either your speed checker is wrong or you're confused. 2Mb service gets you 256Kb/s (or 0.25MB/s) maximum. It's also capped if you download a bit with their throttling.

Virgin BB throttle your bandwidth and being as they have a monopoly on the cable services now, when can we expect them to invest in expanding the areas they serve with their infrastructure?

Crap

As for Virgin Atlantic, I have no experience, so can't really comment

This talk of having to have your line rental from BT is outdated you can now get everything direct from Sky all in your package price.

Currently i have Sky HD including movies/sports. Broadband Max upto 20 meg. Phone line rental with unlimited free calls in the UK to landlines anytime discounted to mobiles. Free calls to landlines in 20 countries abroad including mobiles in the USA anytime and this costs me £80.00 a month.

This aint cheap i am sure but if you have friend and family abroad it saves you a bloody fortune on what i used to pay to BT!

Im with virgin, £25 per month, an we get cable tv, phone line with free calls local and national 24/7, an 10mb internet, an £25 cash back and no connection fee. Where can you go wrong? Sky is a complete rip off and many of my friends who have it are dropping it as the prices are extortianate.

Im with virgin, £25 per month, an we get cable tv, phone line with free calls local and national 24/7, an 10mb internet, an £25 cash back and no connection fee.

Where can you go wrong?

Sky is a complete rip off and many of my friends who have it are dropping it as the prices are extortianate.

This is my experience as well.

Virgin BB throttle your bandwidth

Their throttling is pretty good actually.

If you are one of the top downloaders in a week, then the next week you are throttled at peak times down to 50% speed.

So the throttling can only last for 7 days max, and you can't be throttled 2 weeks in a row, and its only for the insane downloaders anyway.

Also, the speed of throttle is faster than some people's regular speed on BT/Sky!

My mates have got sky and i can honestly say the other channels are pretty crap and pointless unless you pay for the sports or movie packages. Sky tv is better than virgin tv, but as i say friends who had it decided that it really wasnt worth the cost for most of skys crappy channels. Virgin tv is as bad but about 3 times as cheap, the broadband is better, an free calls 24/7 just seems to beat sky hands down, an i dont have to pay for a bt connection and line either....

It depends what you want from your TV.

I can't really see what Sky has over VM, other than HD and the red button on sky sports.

Whereas with VM you have a world of on demand content that sky will never beable to offer. I use catch up on demand more than I watch programs live these days.

Plus you've got TV on demand. I can watch a music video of my choice from Virgins huge library, or I can go through their archive of old tv series. I watched 12 straight episodes of father ted last year.

It depends what you want from your TV.

I can't really see what Sky has over VM, other than HD and the red button on sky sports.

Whereas with VM you have a world of on demand content that sky will never beable to offer.

Sky could follow DirecTV (which while no longer a corporate sibling, uses similar software for their set-top boxes) and offer IPTV-based VoD, though it's an open question how many DSL services could offer adequate bandwidth to allow for that to be a realistic option.

Aye they are planning on that, but I'm really struggling to see how it'll beable to compare with a cable offering.

VM has a fair amount of HD stuff on demand, and I can't see an adsl line coping with streaming HD, especially with the poor state of the last mile in this country, so many people won't beable to get a speed fast enough to stream at a decent enough quality.

• 12 years later...

On black friday last year I got a Virgin deal with;

All normal channels + sports + movies

1gb broadband

all you can eat data sim (which was perfect as my 2 year 3 deal was expiring and I was happy with the phone & still am)

a "free" 4k tv (which is now in the living room), which would have been £549 had I bought it RRP. 

for £77 a month.

I was paying Sky £55 a month for nothing but the basics, and I don't have a phone contract which I was spending £45 a month on, so all in all - I got really good value for money I think.

I have 6 months remaining and am dreading having to go back to Sky in Spring :( 

Edited by lapal_fan

Â