Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

Bradford and Millwall?

Not even comparable, we were totally outplayed that night, it was a joke. Bradford was disappointing because it was the Semi-Finals but you could appreciate there was some effort being showed by the players.
Haha Bradford was over 2 legs. That's so much worse.

And sorry but how is losing to lower league teams in cup competitions not comparable. That's really clutching at straws in a very desperate manner.

I am not clutching at anything. That Doncaster game was one of the worst experiences as a Villa supporter considering the players who were out there and DOL's attitude after that game. At least we had chances against Bradford in the first leg.

Bradford and Millwall?

Not even comparable, we were totally outplayed that night, it was a joke. Bradford was disappointing because it was the Semi-Finals but you could appreciate there was some effort being shown by the players.

Very comparible actually. I'm sorry but losing over two legs, with your strongest team, to a League Two side and with a place in the final to play for is nothing short of absolute humiliation. A permanent black-mark on this club's history.

And don't even get me started on Millwall! I'm not exaggerating when I say it was one of the most clueless and gutless performances I've ever seen from a Villa side.

I'm obviously not taking away from how bad Doncaster was though. In terms of basic performance, it was worse than the above but result-wise, Bradford was the worst I've known.

• Like 2

Fair enough ISA. I am not trying to defend Lambert by bringing up that game, but it was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from Villa. Bradford was disappointing because of the magnitude of the game, but at least we had the bare minimum performance wise.

Us Villa fans have had to put up with some rubbish over the years.  :( Hopefully the future will be kind to us all.

And we only owe Lerner over £100 million to be that much worse.

Lucky us.

No. We owe him £100m to be that much better, but you need to have followed the thread to understand what I mean.

Quite a squad that. Arguably a better team the following season with Dunne and Collins at the back.

Sorry i looked at the wrong squad. My post can apply to the post regarding the final squad under DOL.

I'll say again. Lucky us eh? To owe the owner that much money and the last two years have been worse than Doug's final year.

Revisionist bollocks.

Happy new year ;)

Buzzin Doug’s been dragged up again, because its obviously completely the same landscape.

Whats funny is people claiming they don’t like Lerner because he’s a bad owner.

If he pumped all his money on players they wouldn’t give a shit how he was running it, the same way they would have to change their mind if he did actually run the club probably just never signed players.

Buzzin Doug’s been dragged up again, because its obviously completely the same landscape.

Whats funny is people claiming they don’t like Lerner because he’s a bad owner.

If he pumped all his money on players they wouldn’t give a shit how he was running it, the same way they would have to change their mind if he did actually run the club probably just never signed players.

Started 2014 with the same rubbish of moaning at fans for something you predict would happen. Good solid argument that.

I am not trying to defend Lambert by bringing up that game

So why did you mention it?

The DOL team from 2005/2006 was terrible.

And yet it got more points than our last two seasons.

Yet, we finished 15th last year with one less point than DOL managed in 2005/2006 (finishing 16th). We can always pick and choose the stats to suit our arguments.

It's kind of daft arguing about which defeat was worse - Doncaster, Millwall, Bradford....

They were all shockers.

Someone mentioned the Swansea game and the booing/chanting to drown it out. TBH I didn't hear the booing at around 60 mins, when the crowd started making more noise. Maybe it was just people reacting differently - some booed because they'd had enough of the dire play, maybe others wanted to encourage the team to stop being so terrible, or maybe it was to drown out the people booing. Whatever, the team performance went from abject to just poor at that point - the crowd did positively lift the performance of the team on the pitch with their support.

I also think it demonstrated that sometimes people kind of wait for something to key off them getting involved - somebody booed, so so others joined it. Somebody else started a chant and a lot more joined in.

With the team being terrible, there's not much coming from the pitch to get or keep the crowd going. If it was one game, then you could perhpas say the support was poor, but because it's been years of poor home form, and performances you can't blame the fans. Quite the opposite. I can't think of another club whose fans have had to put up with such dross for so long, yet still both turn up in such numbers and wouldn't be in outright revolt. Maybe Sunderland is similar actually, but there's not many.

As for the plan, and the future, Supporters generally aren't demanding we win the league, or qualify for Euro Cup. We mostly want to see a team that can pas the ball to each other, excite us, score goals, and compete rather than either meekly surrender, or regularly try and nick a goal on the break, while not having the ball.

What we get is players who try their socks off, do their best, by and large, but are currently not either as individuals or as a team justifying their places or standing. So PL needs to sort that out.

Get the team passing the ball to each other, and put an end to the ineptitude.

I'd settle for that right now - no more ineptitude, more keeping hold of the ball, and the occasional attempt to score would be nice. Especially at home.

• Like 1

As for the plan, and the future, Supporters generally aren't demanding we win the league, or qualify for Euro Cup. We mostly want to see a team that can pas the ball to each other, excite us, score goals, and compete rather than either meekly surrender, or regularly try and nick a goal on the break, while not having the ball.

What we get is players who try their socks off, do their best, by and large, but are currently not either as individuals or as a team justifying their places or standing. So PL needs to sort that out.

Get the team passing the ball to each other, and put an end to the ineptitude.

I'd settle for that right now - no more ineptitude, more keeping hold of the ball, and the occasional attempt to score would be nice. Especially at home

Exactly, i don't think what Villa fans by en large expect is in any way expecting too much... For a club this size ..i.e

Turnover of an estimated £100 million per year

almost 50k stadium capacity

Large fanbase (Albeit likely 50% of it comatosed and not attending matches through suffering decades of dross)

Massive history (Albeit in dire need of some new successes)

This should certainly have us as capable of being a top 10 team with the potential to have the odd off season of course but then also have the odd season of challenging for silverware of some kind.... Well as it is we are perenial under achievers and we most certainly should not be consistently bouncing off the bottom year in year out.

As for the standard of football? :bang::rant:

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

Yet, we finished 15th last year with one less point than DOL managed in 2005/2006 (finishing 16th). We can always pick and choose the stats to suit our arguments.

The bottom line is the DOL squad is terrible and so is our current one. The really dissapointing thing is that in the process of going from a terrible squad to an arguably worse squad is that we owe the owner a shit load of money for the pleasure.

The bottom line is the DOL squad is terrible and so is our current one. The really dissapointing thing is that in the process of going from a terrible squad to an arguably worse squad is that we owe the owner a shit load of money for the pleasure of the three years in between

Finished it off for you ;)

Lots of support and lots of "Lambert out". I don't post often but love reading the threads. Personally, I'm going to jump up on the fence (from the "Lambert out" side I might add). The football has been absolutely brutal on the eye since the man took over (I'm not saying it was better before that, just in case I get hacked down for that comment). The only game in the last season and a half that I can say was good to watch as a villa fan was Sunderland 6-1, not sure if anyone remembers that ;-) Anyway, it's the new year so optimism over anything else, let's give the crew at the villa a month to get a few new faces (not shite from the Afghanistan second division) in and see if lambo can start climbing the table. Up the villa!

The club doesn't really owe the owner any money for his spending in any meaningful way. Effectively, all he's done is increase the amount of money he's paid for the club...it only really affects the profit or loss Lerner will make when he sells the club. Ultimately, it's his problem rather than ours.

The club doesn't really owe the owner any money for his spending in any meaningful way. Effectively, all he's done is increase the amount of money he's paid for the club...it only really affects the profit or loss Lerner will make when he sells the club. Ultimately, it's his problem rather than ours.

I wish gthat were so. I don't think it quite is though. Mkney borrowed from the Family Trust has to be paid back. He could pay it back from his own money, but that lent money is not "his". I think I'm right in saying that the people who run the trust legally have to safeguard the money it holds. So yes they can agree to lend it out, but they also have a duty to recover it.

If that's right, then it'll have to be paid back. I think what he did was write off all the interest on the loans, by paying it himself, rather than the club having to pay it back, but I still think the actual capital will have to be repaid, and that'll (I think) come from operating profit. In other words, now the wages are under control, the profit the club makes will in part if not in full go to paying back those loans, and probably over a period of years, unless he either sells up, or decides to pay it from his personal funds.

• Like 2

In other words, now the wages are under control, the profit the club makes will in part if not in full go to paying back those loans, and probably over a period of years,

This would be a big concern. If the quality of the squad is decreased so that we make a profit that then goes towards paying back these loans I don't see how anyone could defend him then? Surely if this starts to happen that's game over as far as any support he still has from fans.

He could pay it back from his own money, but that lent money is not "his".

He seems to have support from some because he put his own money into Aston villa football club. Be interesting to see how those views change.

That's exactly as I see it.

The club will now be repaying the owner back until he has the monies owed to him down to a level where he can sell with out losing money.

Now there are strong rumours that BT and Sky will work together to make sure that the next TV rights sale doesn't cost them too much money or possibly lose out altogether which neither can afford. This does mean of course that Lerner cannot guarantee that there will be another huge TV payment to help him out.