Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Keep him.

Pray he keeps us up.

If no improvement in our performances....

Toss him off in the summer.

Surely that would be rewarding him for bad performances? ;)

I know it's against the flow here at the mo, but I still rate him, we were in worse shape this time last year and from feb onwards we played some good stuff and got ourselves out of the worst mess we'd been in for many a long year.

I don't see why he can't do that again.

• Like 2

I actually don't want Lambert sacked (yet) as I don't think we're able to attract a better manager that can get these players playing any sort of decent football, not make an instant impact, anyway. Unfortunately an absolutely abysmal squad has been put together, but at this particular point the man currently in charge is the best suited to utilize it. However, things simply must change in the summer, I think we'll just about get four wins and a few draws to stay up then this club must look at its strategy, it's absolutely only a matter of time before luck runs out and the quality of football we play will see us relegated. 

The squad is a relatively lost cause, we took a huge gamble last season on filling the squad with cheap, young players in hope that they would blossom into decent premier league quality players, it's simply not going to happen, the core is just clearly not good enough, the spine is weak and as mentioned in a recent article, the dye has been cast, these 'young' players aren't even particularly young, they're 22/23/24, an age to really step up. They aren't 16/17/18, there'll be very, very minor improvements on players such as Lowton, Westwood, Weimann, Clark, Baker, Albrighton. Our senior players in Guzan, Gabby and Vlaar are consistently our best performers, obviously. The plan just isn't working, it's hopelessly failing. The league is simply too hard to even begin to try and fill a team with so many young players and ride it out, it's almost arrogant to think we could do that and we're getting what we deserve. 

No doubt we'll hear a load more crap from the club about projects and we'll have ITKs on here banging on about glorious 5 year plans and how brilliant everything will be, all hollow words that mean nothing, people need to wake up. That's the problem with this club, all talk, no action.

It's a weird situation, of course I sympathize with the financial restraints he has but there's only so much you can be humiliated like we are, we're such a soft touch it's unreal. If the club is willing to change its model to move us forward, i.e invest in experience and bring through genuine young gems at a slower pace, I think Lambert should be given more time. If the plan is to keep filling the squad with young League 1 players and obscure foreigners from mid table Dutch teams then maybe it's time to give someone else a go as this particular job is just proving to be too difficult for Lambert. Of course, we're currently 11th in the table, from a distance that looks fine but we know there's deep, deep problems here and it's papering over cracks - i'd be extremely surprised if we finished the season with more than 40 points. 

The humiliations, crap football, annoying post game quotes and rubbish signings aside, I still don't believe Lambert should be sacked at this particular moment in time, the summer will be the time to revise this situation. It's a cliche point but we do need to rally after today's latest humiliation.  

I kind of agree - but if we waited until the summer who would you see us getting, better than the readily available McKay ? 

I guess the type of manager would have to suit whatever new genius plan Lerner and Faulkner decide to muster up. Who knows who will be available in the summer. I think McKay would be a bit of a knee jerk appointment, some rate him highly but I can't say i've ever seen any attributes in him that could turn the club around and stabilize it on the budget we work with.

Edited by nobler
  • Like 1

Keep him.

Pray he keeps us up.

If no improvement in our performances....

Toss him off in the summer.

Surely that would be rewarding him for bad performances? ;)

I know it's against the flow here at the mo, but I still rate him, we were in worse shape this time last year and from feb onwards we played some good stuff and got ourselves out of the worst mess we'd been in for many a long year.

I don't see why he can't do that again.

He's got us into this mess  again though, and the football and results continue to be dreadful.  I think after the next two results we'll be firmly back in the relegation mire too.

Doug appointed Martin O'Neil.

Lerner has appointed Gerrard Houllier, Alex McLeish and Paul Lambert....

Who's next?

Browns fans warned us all.

They said this would happen.

The whole club is a mess.

Not really fair as the Browns are shit with and without Lerner.

• Like 1

Does anyone really believe that he can turn us around to be a competitive side competing for Europe ?

More to the point, does anyone believe that anybody could turn us in a side competing for Europe in 18 months?

Who do you suggest that could do this dounavilla?

It's pretty obvious to me that there is no one available to do this... the manager needs to alter the team in the coming transfer windows. He should be judged on next seasons performances, not this one.

On the whole of planet earth there is not a better football manager for Aston Villa FC.

Mmmmm................!

Your sarcastic response coupled with not giving a candidate is pretty shameful.

And your comment about it being 'pretty obvious to me' is rather self opinionated drivel with no evidence to back it up.

It's getting more obvious by every post that goes by without you supplying a candidate.

This may surprise you but it's not my job to supply a candidate. However, unlike you, I reckon that there must be someone on this planet that could do a better job.

If you believe that Lambert is the best manager that AVFC could possibly have then fine but I have a sneaky feeling that someone somewhere just might be better.

It's not your job to comment on my posts either but you do. If you think Lambert shouldn't be the manager of Aston Villa then if you were able to provide a solution which would have us competing at the top end of the Premier League within 18 months then it would strengthen your argument. It would appear you are unable to do this.

Also, I never stated that there wouldn't be anyone available who wouldn't be better suited to Aston Villa - I stated that there wouldn't be anyone available who would get us competing for European places on the budget provided within 18 months. Especially one that took over McLeish's side.

This side is a long way away from being at the top of the league but we are only just entering phase 2 of the rebuilding project. Anyone who thought that phase 2 involved challenging for Europe is very deluded. I'd expect the club to be competing a lot harder than they are at home at the moment but I don't believe the situation is as grave as people are making out and next season if we haven't improved once again then questions should be asked - but right now isn't the time.

Edited by AstonMartin82

Pathetic. That's it for me I'm afraid. No excuses about wages or loss of form. The manager has turned us into a complete joke. I don't suppose Sheffield United pay their players 40k a week either.

We're a bloody awful side under Lambert, and second half we were outplayed by a team down the bottom of league 1. We didn't have any sort of game plan. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather have McLeish. Times up.

• Like 1

IF we had to get rid of Lambert, I would like somebody like Laudrup (not that we could get him) but that would be the sort of coach I would be after, as well as a DOF - somebody who knows a bit about football.

We need to get the decisions away from Faulkner and Lerner.

• Like 1

Who's next?

I imagine that it takes a while to sort out the mess of several years of Lerner ownership.

Who's next?

I imagine that it takes a while to sort out the mess of several years of Lerner ownership.

Unfortunately, the Browns demise has nothing to do with Lerner. They are cursed.

Rumour circulating on twitter that there has been a tunnel bust up with PL and a few of the players. I highly doubt this but if it's true then he has most definite lost the dressing room

Twitter (Yes i Know) but anyone know if ANY truth in this?

Once again we are a national laughing stock.

I don't give a shit what the national papers and people think, they weren't with us when we should have had a penalty at Wembley and they aren't with us now, we should stick together and stick two fingers up at them.

Correct. The BBC were gleeful today. Sod em. I am happy to rally around the manager just to spite them.

• Like 1

Sack Lambert & who will you bring in?

Or to re-phrase the question-Who would want the job?

Lets stick we've what we.ve got & see the job through.

IF it came to it, somebody like Laudrup.

But I am behind Lambert, even though it is hard right now.

UTV.

• Like 1

Does anyone really believe that he can turn us around to be a competitive side competing for Europe ?

More to the point, does anyone believe that anybody could turn us in a side competing for Europe in 18 months?

Who do you suggest that could do this dounavilla?

It's pretty obvious to me that there is no one available to do this... the manager needs to alter the team in the coming transfer windows. He should be judged on next seasons performances, not this one.

On the whole of planet earth there is not a better football manager for Aston Villa FC.

Mmmmm................!

Your sarcastic response coupled with not giving a candidate is pretty shameful.

And your comment about it being 'pretty obvious to me' is rather self opinionated drivel with no evidence to back it up.

It's getting more obvious by every post that goes by without you supplying a candidate.

This may surprise you but it's not my job to supply a candidate. However, unlike you, I reckon that there must be someone on this planet that could do a better job.

If you believe that Lambert is the best manager that AVFC could possibly have then fine but I have a sneaky feeling that someone somewhere just might be better.

It's not your job to comment on my posts either but you do. If you think Lambert shouldn't be the manager of Aston Villa then if you were able to provide a solution which would have us competing at the top end of the Premier League within 18 months then it would strengthen your argument. It would appear you are unable to do this.

Also, I never stated that there wouldn't be anyone available who wouldn't be better suited to Aston Villa - I stated that there wouldn't be anyone available who would get us competing for European places on the budget provided within 18 months. Especially one that took over McLeish's side.

This side is a long way away from being at the top of the league but we are only just entering phase 2 of the rebuilding project. Anyone who though that phase 2 involved challenging for Europe is very deluded. I'd expect the club to be competing a lot harder than they are at home at the moment but I don't believe the situation isn't as grave as people are making out and next season if we haven't improved once again then questions should be asked - but right now isn't the time.

You state that we are only in phase 2 so I guess you are referring to the 5 year plan (each year being a phase).

If I were poor at my job and I wanted long term job security I would also convince the gullible prospective employer that it will take 5 years to achieve the goal. If halfway through year 2 (the second phase) my performance was no better than it was halfway through year 1 (the first phase) and my employer didn't sack me I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Lambert does not seem to know how to improve the team or the performances. If he did we wouldn't be seeing the rubbish that we are seeing every game.