Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Under Lambert we have won 11 in 48 games only winning 2 out of 10 at home this season with the lowest ratio of goals scored at home this season in all four divisions. Until the game against Swansea we also failed to score in the first half at home this season but please continue to aail us of your graphs while the rest of us concern ourselves with more important stats like results. Expectations Morf, Expectations...you think we should be much much better...I think that is about what I would expect at the moment....We are in a unique situation - few clubs have gone through such a radical realignment of finances so it's understandably that you are struggling to come to terms with the situation

No not struggling at all just rather amused that someone wouldn't have better expectations of a Villa manager than possibly two relegation battles, winning only 11 in 48 games and playing the worst football this club has seen for some considerable time.

Presently our situation is neither radical or unique due to Lambert being given money to replace players and other clubs having also to cost cut throughout their history.

Concerning you last point you believe wrongly and if you are so concerned with my past comments on site then please feel free to show me where I have stated that I want Steve Bruce as our manager?

Still no graph I see showing our team's performance under Lambert.  :)

Edited by blandy

I think everyone would be behind the idea of giving a manager time. But risso is right, just giving someone time does not guarantee success. If you gave the wrong person time it could in fact really damage the club.

I agree that time does not equal success but I disagree with risso that last season was "an absolute disaster".........some peoples expectation is stuck in the MON era, given the budget employed it would be crazy to expect anything other than a struggle for a couple of seasons - even then our ability to get back in the upper reaches of the league will ulrimately be determined by finances

That is some post VillaCas.  :lol:

I remember there were those on site who absolutely ridiculed anyone suggesting that we would struggle with Lambert at the helm.

Knocked around really nicely at times. Players missed some great chances, that's not on Lambert.

After the season we've had, to be 3 goals from 10th isn't too bad going.

UTV

• Like 3

As more of a follower of the discussion I am trying to figure out, why Lambert is so good in some people's minds. All you hear is why he is so bad and needs to be sacked followed by a defensive breakout.

I wanted either Lambert or Martinez to come when Houllier went, and the same when that Scottish one went. I think the age profile is right, I think with Lambo the (his) playing record is in his favour. I think his record as a manager elsewhere points to someone who has good ability in dealing with players as people and being able to mould and motivate a side. So his background is good.

Then there's what he's done and doing at Villa. I've kind of discussed that already, but in my eyes, he's a good manager, who has got a massive task on his hands, and who I want to succeed, partly because he was if you like my choice anyway, partly because he's done nothing to say to me that my view of him was wrong, partly because upheaval is the last thing we need, and mostly because it means my club doing well.

In terms of where my judgement is on things like use of subs, playing style, selections and transfers and all that stuff, I'm less set on him than I was. I don't feel the team is doing what I see as a minimum standard for a Villa side at the moment, and that's a major worry.

Thanks for these views, I think it's the last paragraph that has me a bit uneasy. Again, that's what you clearly see happening on the pitch, and the first couple paragraphs are more matters of belief. Either you trust him or not.

Again, I'd say his supporters could be more vocal. Even if Hairy Hands is here.

I do trust him, but it's not unconditional.

I should say that though I have a season ticket, I've missed a lot of games due to being abroad working for quite a long time, so I haven't seen as much (perhaps that's a good thing) as I might have done, so "what I see clearly" is not based on as much evidence as maybe some others.

My perception as well is that the internet Villa places are different to the people in the actual ground - the balance of for v against is definitely different in my view. There's around where I sit in the Holte a general feeling of support for Lambo, but also absolute frustration at the recent home performances. But people don't simply "blame" the manager, round where I sit, at least

• Like 1

It was a good win, but we played against a terrible team who played (rather suicidally) into our hands by playing with a high line and leaving no cover when they attacked. Lambert, I suppose, got it right today but with the players we have, a good manager should have got an away win against a team like Sunderland.

I still see very little improvement and I don't really think we'll get the players we need this window.

It could be worse, but I'm a bit tired of having to reassure myself that things could be worse.

I think we're going OK overall. We're on a bad run of form, but we've got a draw and a win after 4 losses and we're sitting in 11th, only off the top half on goal difference. Realistically, we're not going to be relegated unless we utterly implode...and we probably won't do that, even if the rest of the season isn't amazing. There's always ups and downs, and even four losses in a row isn't crisis territory...we didn't drop into the relegation places at any point.

I'm disappointed with how we've performed this season as I thought we'd really push on and be around 8th. But given that Benteke has been awful this season, Vlaar has been out for ages and Wiemann and Lowton completely lost form too, the fact we're where we are is encouraging. Last season lots of people were moaning we couldn't win anything without Benteke carrying the team, but we've proved so far this season that we're a perfectly average side without him. When Benteke starts contributing, we'll be a lot better.

I also think that people are being selective with their criticisms of Lambert. We had an awful defence last season and Lambert spent money on trying to improve it, and I'd say he's succeeded. Our strike force is pretty much identical to the one that was scoring at will at the end of last season, so I can understand why he might not think he had to spend too much money on upgrading it. Unfortunately, the players have gone badly out of form. I don't think you can blame Lambert for that - they were playing well for him last season, but they aren't now. Looks like he's as much a hostage to the form of players as any other manager.

Villa used to be a big club, but we weren't a big club or playing beautiful football when Lambert took over. I'm just happy with him improving our league position at this point. We can worry about playing total football and trying to win the champions league once we've finished a season in the top half of the table. If we haven't improved our league position at the end of the season, he'll have some explaining to do...but it's nowhere near bad enough to consider sacking him mid-season.

• Like 1

If we'd managed to not lose vs Palace then after today I think things would have been a lot brighter.

Great win though, and whilst we weren't much better, and were gifted the winning goal, it's brilliant to celebrate the win.

Keep the points coming!

• Like 1

If the stats were reversed with the away form and home and home form on the road, I think most Villa fans would be a lot happier. Seeing regular wins at home is quite important when you stump up hundreds of pounds for season tickets.

This x infinity

• Like 2

It was a good win, but we played against a terrible team who played (rather suicidally) into our hands by playing with a high line and leaving no cover when they attacked. Lambert, I suppose, got it right today but with the players we have, a good manager should have got an away win against a team like Sunderland.

I still see very little improvement and I don't really think we'll get the players we need this window.

It could be worse, but I'm a bit tired of having to reassure myself that things could be worse.

The important thing is that we improved as the game went on and by the end of the second half we looked more fluid, which is good.