The R word

villanwesty88

If Cardiff and Sunderland draw tomorrow what does that do?

Means Cardiff would have to win both of their remaining games (Newcastle away, Chelsea home) to finish above us.

For Sunderland, they would have to pick up 6 points (Man U away, West Brom home, Swansea home).

What is the point of staying up?  Without investment and a new manager we will be here in this position next season so may as well get it out the way and go down now!!

Eh because we are likely to be taken over in the summer if we stay up.  Pretty good reason imo.....

Edited by Bunnski

3 out of the 4 teams below is need 6 points really. And I don't see that being impossible, especially if you look at how Fulham and Sunderland are picking up points. This is the part of the seasons where the poor teams win games because they need to, we're just getting smashed left right and centre. I certainly wouldn't put money on us staying up. The other teams around us seem to want to stay in the league and have accepted that they are in a fighting battle to stay up. Lambert still won't accept it.

I'll update this post after every game.

Points needed by us/dropped by opposition to stay above them, mathematically. Any points Villa get in a match decreases the total by that amount (So win 3, draw 1, loss 0) and any points the mentioned team drops in a game will decrease the total by that amount (So win 0, draw 2, loss 3).

Norwich - 7

Cardiff - 5

Fulham - 5 -> 3

Sunderland - 7

We have at least a 10 goal better difference than all clubs mentioned, so realistically you can decrease their totals by 1.

Fulham moves from 5 points to 3 as they dropped 2 points today. Realistically, if Fulham drop any more points this season they can't catch us.
Not sure I follow... Why do Fulham need 3 points?

The numbers next to the teams are how many points we need that team to drop (or for us to gain) to finish above them. So 3 more points sees us finish above Fulham guaranteed.

Got you, sorry. That was me being a bell and not reading the first post properly.

Fulham have to win away to Stoke and at home to Palace, Norwich have to get a win and a draw from Utd away,Chelsea away and Arsenal at home.

A win and a draw won't be enough, they need a minimum of 5 points because of their goal difference

They are only 3 points behind us.

Right you are! Not sure how I missed that

Fulham have to win away to Stoke and at home to Palace, Norwich have to get a win and a draw from Utd away,Chelsea away and Arsenal at home.

A win and a draw won't be enough, they need a minimum of 5 points because of their goal difference

They are only 3 points behind us.

What is the point of staying up?  Without investment and a new manager we will be here in this position next season so may as well get it out the way and go down now!!

Eh because we are likely to be taken over in the summer if we stay up.  Pretty good reason imo.....

It is a good reason, but ultimately the point of staying up is because it is by far preferential to the alternative and anyone who thinks differently is wrong.

if we lose our next 3 games we will go down for sure. need sunderland and Cardiff to draw tomorrow and Norwich to lose tonight, for us to have any chance of staying up if we lose the rest of our games. was confident for the hull game but I aint now. we will get mauled at man city and cant see us getting anything at spurs.

Am I the only one that can't see Sunderland vs Cardiff finishing a draw? I can see Sunderland winning it.

If Sunderland win tomorrow then it will be Fulham, Cardiff and Norwich going down, most likely.

if we lose our next 3 games we will go down for sure. need sunderland and Cardiff to draw tomorrow and Norwich to lose tonight, for us to have any chance of staying up if we lose the rest of our games.

Well, that makes complete sense :P

I understand the concern. We're all feeling it and it's a very real possibility that we could go down, but even if we did lose the rest of our games, the teams below us would have to pull out some cracking results to get ahead of us. Do a predictor and you'll see. I'm not saying you're not right to worry but some of the comments here are getting a bit daft.

• Like 1