Could any manager do better.

foreveryoung

You have to question why he took the job. It was obvious, you can not have premiership success with players earning 10-20k a week from lower leagues, though he obviously thought he could. He took the budgets and cost cutting into account when he accepted the position thinking he could build a winning team, this has not happened so surely he is failing.

You have to question why he took the job. It was obvious, you can not have premiership success with players earning 10-20k a week from lower leagues, though he obviously thought he could. He took the budgets and cost cutting into account when he accepted the position thinking he could build a winning team, this has not happened so surely he is failing.

Its a challenge, hard to call him a failure when he has only completed one season in which he succeeded in keeping us up. It is a shame that last season staying in the league was a success but it is the sad truth unfortunately. Imagine if we were currently 6th or something, pundits and fans of football in general would be calling him one of the best after such a cheap rebuild of the squad, he is trying to progress his career - we are a huge club, he obviously knows our history and the feat of returning us to the upper realms of the Premier League would be a fantastic achievement for himself.

This season for me, Lambert succeeding means we stay clear of the relegation zone and finish 12th or 13th. Basically we progress from last season, I'm sure that is what the board would be expecting too, progression.

• Like 1

The rot set in long before Lambert was appointed. Over the last three years I've become more convinced that the problems at AVFC are in the board room, rather than the boot room. I mean does Randy even give a sH1t these days?

Lambert in Lerner out IMO.

Edited by Supervillan78

Lambert can neither build a good side, nor get them playing anything approaching good football.  We had far less possession than Stoke today, which tells its own tale.  Dreadful manager, who has assembled a dreadful team, who play dreadful football.

He does not have the funding to build a good side quickly Risso. 

Other than £43m of course.

Lambert can neither build a good side, nor get them playing anything approaching good football.  We had far less possession than Stoke today, which tells its own tale.  Dreadful manager, who has assembled a dreadful team, who play dreadful football.

Look at where we signed the players from Risso? It is time to accept reality my friend, I have.

Look at where we signed the players from Risso? It is time to accept reality my friend, I have.

I have long accepted the reality that we have a useless manager, who does not appear to have the first clue as to coaching or tactics.  The game(s) against Bradford last season should have shown you that.

Lambert can neither build a good side, nor get them playing anything approaching good football. We had far less possession than Stoke today, which tells its own tale. Dreadful manager, who has assembled a dreadful team, who play dreadful football.

Yep because £43m and basically no wage budget is really enough to overhaul an entire premier league side.

• Like 2

I have long accepted the reality that we have a useless manager, who does not appear to have the first clue as to coaching or tactics.  The game(s) against Bradford last season should have shown you that.

If you believe so, but I think you are sadly misguided. Our problems will not go away by sacking Lambert.

Lambert can neither build a good side, nor get them playing anything approaching good football. We had far less possession than Stoke today, which tells its own tale. Dreadful manager, who has assembled a dreadful team, who play dreadful football.

I have long accepted the reality that we have a useless manager, who does not appear to have the first clue as to coaching or tactics. The game(s) against Bradford last season should have shown you that.

I just don't understand how someone with no clue about coaching or tactics can do what he did at Norwich.

Oh right, they couldn't.

• Like 2

I have long accepted the reality that we have a useless manager, who does not appear to have the first clue as to coaching or tactics. The game(s) against Bradford last season should have shown you that.

So that also goes for Arsene Wenger too then?

To replace 15 players (including Petrov) And the bomb squad, as we are not allowed high earners. Averaging 2.5m each player, not enough.

I don't get these types of comments. Whether or not Lambert is the right manager for Villa is obviously debatable but to call him "useless" and state that he doesn't know anything about coaching or tactics is just completely wrong.

• Like 1

If we sacked Lambert tomorrow and appointed Mackay when he gets the bullet, I really don't see where this miraculous upturn in form would come, Cardiff were incredibly negative when they come to VP, baffling when you consider our home form.

Again Steve Clark, Martin Jol, reality is these would be no better either. We couldn't attract a manager of decent standing when we were finishing 6th and still spending money so what makes people think we would now.

Lambert has his faults. I too don't like the poor football we're playing but overall he's doing o.k, win v Palace (and he needs to) and we could easily be back in the top 10. Sadly it's going to be a boring mid table nothing season but after the last 3 years be thankful for small mercies.

• Like 3

Far far easier to criticise (in Football or anywhere) than to be supportive.  Anyone who thinks there are gettable Managers out there with any sort of proven record of success is deluded.  How many Managers leave a Club every year ? And they always, with a few exceptions, leave because someone thinks they can do better elsewhere. Simple logic tells you that cant be true ! Jol goes round and round. Hughes goes round and round. And so do all the others.

Get rid if you like but you once your temporary glow has passed you will be right back where you are now.

I think he is the right guy, but even if I didn't, it is obvious we need to stick with somone for longer than a year and a half.

Go back to 2011 and on here and H&V and plenty of people were turning their noses up at Martinez.  Even in the summer it was a case of "errrr how come someone be a good manager when they're in an annual relegation." well it was Wigan.

I think Martinez would've been an excellent appointment to follow Houllier and continue the continental approach we were briefly planning.

He's a good manager, flourishing with better players under him. 

Edited by VillaChris

I don't get these types of comments. Whether or not Lambert is the right manager for Villa is obviously debatable but to call him "useless" and state that he doesn't know anything about coaching or tactics is just completely wrong.

Where is the proof that he knows "anything about coaching or tactics"? I would suggest that his ability to buy players, coaching and tactics are more suspect than not. We have just been turned over by an absolutely shite Stoke, lost to a struggling Fulham and couldn't beat a shite bottom of the league sunderland. That you think Lambert is an able coach with tactical nous is frankly amazing.

Lambert has been hamstrung by a number of factors.

But even so, his transfer decisions and tactics have been questionable most of the time.

It's clear that Lerner isn't going to throw money at the situation or sack Lambert, so unless the fans start to demonstrate in some way - then its going to be years or playing russian roulette with relegation until we get relegated.

Randy seems to be all about damage limitation these days, he clearly doesn't want us to be relegated but he doesn't care if we finish one point above relegation every year - as long as the books are balanced. 

Go back to 2011 and on here and H&V and plenty of people were turning their noses up at Martinez.  Even in the summer it was a case of "errrr how come someone be a good manager when they're in an annual relegation." well it was Wigan.

I think Martinez would've been an excellent appointment to follow Houllier and continue the continental approach we were briefly planning.

He's a good manager, flourishing with better players under him. 

People have short memories. I wonder who will be the next flavour of the month.

Please read my post properly. All I said was that stating Lambert has NO idea about tactics or coaching is wrong.

It is total rubbish to even suggest that about Lambert.

Â