Could any manager do better.

foreveryoung

Possibly. I completly blame lerner for how poor we've been but i don't think lambert has shown too much.

I think a new manager would do things slightly different but i think we'd be asking a lot if we expected someone to do much better with the restrictions we have in place.

A new manager isn't going to make any difference.

The players are simply not good enough. Lambert takes some flack there, he's bought in some rubbish. The owner takes flack there - Lambert has been given cash but has had to spread an amount that isn't big enough in the first place across too many players, as well as watch the wages.

That money situation is unlikely to change. A new manager might be able to bring in a player or 2 of better standard with a better hit rate than Lambert, but that will not be enough to plug the painfully obvious gaps in this squads ability.

So, we are left with a fairly inevitable fate. We're destined to be shit this season, all season, and that will continue until we pull off a miracle by finding an entire team of lower league gems or developing an academy of superstars in the rough. Until we start to invest again, thats what we're trying to do to succeed, and that means we'll be relying on luck and 3 teams being more shit for the foreseeable. Which also means we'll be relegated before too long.

• Like 3

According to HH we will maybe looking at loans in January, with a wage cap of 10-20k. If that's true id say no.

If thats true we deserve to go down.Seriously if you want to play Championship wages then that's where we will end up.

• Like 1

Like all Managers, He is probably doing, the best he can.

so, what does that mean, he needs more money( don't they all) or does it mean he hasn't the ability to do any better....both could be the case.

Since the first game of the season and despite the obvious difference in opposition I have seen this team get gradually game by game worse.

I don't see any sign of it changing, other than key players back.I don't see the summer signings turning in to anything but another bomb squad... with maybe,maybe Benteke....albeit,never seen a villa player in all my time after reaching such heights go to such lows.The magnitude of his decline is alarming.

I suspect it ill not be long, if results that we exclusively rely on, because there ain't much else to appraise,don't improve he will be under extreme pressure.

Well if changing managers is not going to "improve much if anything" then it cant do a lot of damage in sacking him can it.

It can do a lot of damage.

a. It'll cost money

b. The replacement could do worse (especially if Randy continues to spend so little)

c. More squad upheaval

Edited by Mantis

No, I find it hard to believe that anybody would be able to better whilst having to work inline with the board/Lerner's policies intact.

Yes. Many would have done better with the money he has had.

Many would have done worse, I'd say too.

Sick to death of seeing statements like this, it has not been his choice as to how he spent the money you are talking about. Lerner himself has already stated that it was a board decision to restructure the squad and so on, it isn't something Lambert just decided to do, it is something he HAD to do. It was not a choice, it was the objective set to him on arrival.

Do you really think we could be doing better than we are with another manager who still would have HAD to bring in at least 16 players with £40m? That is a small figure for such a restructure and an incredibly small figure for such a restructure whilst trying to stay in this league. 

What we need is investment into better quality, until the transfer window opens we won't know if this will happen but so far it sounds far from it, Hairyhands said there isn't even money there for Lambert to buy a player but that he can bring somebody in on loan if their wages are cheap enough.

It makes me sad saying it, but honestly, we are punching well above our weight as things stand.

• Like 3

Possibly. I completly blame lerner for how poor we've been but i don't think lambert has shown too much.

I think a new manager would do things slightly different but i think we'd be asking a lot if we expected someone to do much better with the restrictions we have in place.

Not a loaded question, just interested to know. where do you think this money we are not spending should in fact come from, his personal fortune? or should we borrow it? or a business partner ( i.e injection of capital)

I thought most were in favour of getting the club back in to profit and out of debt....perhaps the 18 million spent on Bent would be quite useful now.

John, I'm as frustrated as you and I have no allegiance to any of the staff at Villa Park.... but we have had poor Chairmen in the past and not had some of the problems we are experiencing.

Here is the paradox- by making the club "sustainable", Lerner is risking it's future...by skidding along paying low wages on mediocre players, we WILL get relegated eventually. At that point, all the Premier League perks go out the window, and the nice sounding "sustainability" catch phrase takes on new meaning. We will then be looking to sustain a Championship level existence. There are two ways a club can be reckless with money. We've experienced the first one, and we are starting to see the opposite way. Serious investment is crucial; without it, it's a slippery slope, and just because we are Aston Villa does not mean we will get promoted straight away. Are we to become the new Sheffield Wednesday?

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

For whatever the reasons, these players are seemingly not good enough.

We have no money (allegedly) to buy our way out of trouble as we have done for many years.

In order for a new manager to make a difference he will need trading money....we ain't got any. So new manager is a dud.

Unless of course, that these players are better than we think and are just not playing for him.....but I doubt that.

Here is the paradox- by making the club "sustainable", Lerner is risking it's future...by skidding along paying low wages on mediocre players, we WILL get relegated eventually. At that point, all the Premier League perks go out the window, and the nice sounding "sustainability" catch phrase takes on new meaning. We will then be looking to sustain a Championship level existence. There are two ways a club can be reckless with money. We've experienced the first one, and we are starting to see the opposite way. Serious investment is crucial; without it, it's a slippery slope, and just because we are Aston Villa does not mean we will get promoted straight away. Are we to become the new Sheffield Wednesday?

Exactly this. The moment we go down, we will see more cuts to sustain, this will see us fall further backwards and then more cuts.

This man is a disaster.

we are certainly playing Russian Roulette with it.

• Like 1

For whatever the reasons, these players are seemingly not good enough.

We have no money (allegedly) to buy our way out of trouble as we have done for many years.

In order for a new manager to make a difference he will need trading money....we ain't got any. So new manager is a dud.

Unless of course, that these players are better than we think and are just not playing for him.....but I doubt that.

Baker is not good enough, nor is Herd.

We need another decent centre back, a decent holding midfielder and somebody who can play in an attacking role (who can pass/shoot/get assists) and they will fit in perfectly with the other players and help them along.

• Like 1

Â