Ashley Young

suttonpaul

When he signed for United I thought yep good premier league player but won't make any impact for them in the champions league, a bit like Fellani actually.

We saw that when we ridiculously played him off the striker in his final year here, I didn't rate him at all there as I didn't believe he had that extra intelligence to find space in that area which a top player for a top club needs.

Would still have him back as long as he was properly motivated. In fairness I could see a Newcastle or Everton pick him up, Martinez has done a good job with Gareth Barry.

See now to me Young may go down too easy and isn't honest on the field but Popov who spat at another player is someone I wouldn't want at the club, really scummy thing to do that.

I can't see how Young isn't a Lambert type of player if the price is right, I mean if Tonev is a Lambert player he should be.

See now to me Young may go down too easy and isn't honest on the field but Popov who spat at another player is someone I wouldn't want at the club, really scummy thing to do that.

I can't see how Young isn't a Lambert type of player if the price is right, I mean if Tonev is a Lambert player he should be.

Now at the mention of signing Ashley Young the immediate reaction is "no" not under any circumstance.

Then someone pops up and reminds us that we have Tonev on our books, which brings up the thought 'anyone but Tonev'

But then I don't think that I want either of them :)

I can't quite believe how many people wouldn't have a player who is better than pretty much all of our players bar Benteke just because of one dive!

Yes, that dive hurt, for some reason we tricked ourselves into thinking that he wouldn't do what he does in almost every single game to his former team. Of course he would, at the end of the day he's a footballer, none of them care about their clubs, with the rare exception of players like Gerrard and Gabby. But to completely reject the idea of him returning because he dived against us, give over! Would you reject Cahill returning if he dived vs Us? What about if someone like Bannan (or another young-ish player who leaves) went on to play for a top 4 team and dived against us, would he be completely out of the picture too? (Bannan may be a bad example as I think many on here may not want him back ever, just so they don't have to admit he's good :P)

As for diving in general, sure it was frustrating whilst he was here, but it never garnered this sort of hatred and disdain when he was winning us free kicks.

Out of our midfielders/wingers, who is genuinely better than him? Gabby, AW, Tonev, Albrighton, Delph et al are all worse without a doubt.

Personally though, I would not like to buy him, I don't think you should go back to former teams/players, I would rather give players like Grealish and Graham a chance. However, if Lambert decided he was the right player for us, I would welcome him back and certainly wouldn't bitch and get upset just because he dives.

Ashley Young is no longer better then all our player's apart from Benteke. Over the last few years he has regressed.

Just to play Devil's advocate, which Winger/Attacking Midfielder is better then?

I'll take Gabby, but I would say that is when he plays as a Striker or more centrally, as a winger, I'd still say Young is better.

We haven't been the same since he left.

He's not as good as he was, but who's to say that he wouldn't get back to his best in a team that suits him/fills his ego more. He's certainly better than any winger/attacking midfielder we have.

I didn't know that about Popov, that is scummy. Are we talking about Ivelin Popov, the attacking mid we were linked to over the summer, or Goran Popov over at West Brom? I know Goran Popov spat at a guy.

I didn't know that about Popov, that is scummy. Are we talking about Ivelin Popov, the attacking mid we were linked to over the summer, or Goran Popov over at West Brom? I know Goran Popov spat at a guy.

Oh I thought we we linked with Goran Popov of WBA? Im guessing I have it totally wrong and Iv got my Popov's mixed up!

I did find it strange why we linked with him, we dont really need a defender but yeah I was thinking of him. I feel a bit silly now. 

Were being linked with Ivelin Popov.

On the subject of Ashley Young Again, i understand there will be yes and no's from everyone but i dont get why some people are so shocked at people saying no. The guy is an utter disgrace and he already proved how much he cares and respects us that day at old trafford, oh hes better than all of our players(debateable)we should sign him regardless then? Would be a great role model for our youngsters.

As you can probably tell i think very little of him, lets not forget he was not that great here in his final season and in his first season at manu he had a good start he didn't perform the entire season and theres a reason ferguson and now moyes dont give him a look in. 

Oh I thought we we linked with Goran Popov of WBA? Im guessing I have it totally wrong and Iv got my Popov's mixed up!

I did find it strange why we linked with him, we dont really need a defender but yeah I was thinking of him. I feel a bit silly now. 

Ha! No problem. For a minute there I was thinking, "Man, does everyone named Popov spit at people?"

I'd take him in a second if it weren't for the financial issue.

He probably needs the sort of reinvigoration he might get under Lambert at Villa.

We are desperate for a bit of creativity and at his best he is creative and has a lot of flair. He definitely has a lot of ability.

He left us in reasonable circumstances for the best club in the league, unlike Barry or Downing.

He left us in reasonable circumstances for the best club in the league, unlike Barry or Downing.

Nothing unreasonable about Barry's leaving. We got a hell of a fee for him, and his long service was rewarded with the opportunity to go and win something.

Downing was probably a bit unreasonable, but Faulkner did such a good job of extracting a massive fee for him, we were always the winners.

Indeed, when you consider those three transfers, all of which could be seen as overpriced, it just shows that Faulkner is no mug.

• Like 1

Â