Ashley Young

suttonpaul

Not for me I'm afraid. He had some good things about him and his time here - but I found him quite frustrating even when he played for us. Always seemed like getting himself booked cheaply for dissent, kicking/throwing balls away... and of course, he did used to dive for us. I thought he was exciting at times, but generally frustrating.

Then he went up north and he dived even more...

There is no barge pole large enough that I would be inclined to touch him with. And for the win, no to Downing either when he looks for an escape to European football with us as his West Ham nightmare continues.

• Like 2

I dont think he dived for us like he does now, what he has done for Utd is acting and going down WAY too easily. For us it was more of buying fouls and running into players, the refs slowly started to notice towards the end. He did start leaving his leg out to force contact but nothing like the pen he won in the CL last month for Utd.

I'm torn. I'd love to have him back as we could really do with him as a player, but as some have mentioned before, that dive against us is hard to swallow. It makes me sick to think about it.

But it won't happen anyway, so I don't think there's much to discuss, really. But if he leaves united I hope he either leaves for a top team or a team trying to stay and fail miserably.

I dont think he dived for us like he does now, what he has done for Utd is acting and going down WAY too easily. For us it was more of buying fouls and running into players, the refs slowly started to notice towards the end. He did start leaving his leg out to force contact but nothing like the pen he won in the CL last month for Utd.

I think your rose coloured spectacles are a little foggy ;)

Young was always diving when he played for us, he now just does it on a bigger stage and is therefore under more scrutiny.

• Like 1

Could have been a Villa legend, instead he's a never-was has-been bench warmer with a crap reputation and aging legs. No thanks.

With a Premier League winners medal...

Good for him, he can wear it on the bench for whatever team he ends up at.

Ashley played well for us and then he left with a year on his contract and we got good money. I have no problem with the lad but it is over. Have you seen him play recently? His confidence is shot, how is playing as a loanee at his old club going to be seen as anything but a step backwards for him?

It wouldnt work and neither would the economics I think.

To start with, with us he used to get kicked all over the place and just take it. I think it got to the point with him that he decided enough was enough, he had the right to 'win' free kicks. He had already developed a reputation for diving with us and he did cross the line fairly often. But the lack of respect in blatantly cheating against us at the first opportunity, having given him his dream move, picked him up from relative obscurity, paying him very good wages for several years, that sticks in my throat. I think if we did sign him he would do a good job though, much better than he has at Utd where the expectation and rotation has done him no favours.

Ramsey against Cardiff got sandwiched by two players right in the box. If he went down it was an easy penalty but he played on.

It might not mean anything to a lot of people but it boiled my blood when Young dived against us.

Could have been a Villa legend, instead he's a never-was has-been bench warmer with a crap reputation and aging legs. No thanks.

This is wrong in so many ways:-

Never-was - wrong

Has-been - wrong

Crap reputation - since he left us

Ageing legs - wrong

Even though Ashley Young has regressed and is no longer of any use to a premiership side, he was quality for us for 3 seasons. I would argue that he was the best player under MON reign. We musn't let the diving dirty the memory that he was actually a very good player for the club. 3 player of the months in 1 calendar year.

But in answer to the thread, no I wouldn't want him back now, for whatever reason he has lost those qualities which made him a superb winger between 2007 and 2010.

Edited by Voinjama

Only reason why the whole diving thing with him has become more apparent is because of the exposure Man Utd gets. Like a few people on here have said already, I don't think he started diving more since he joined utd.

When he was playing for us, he was genuinely getting clipped while being too fast for people but then realised how to dive "correctly"....if that makes sense?

Anyway, if the option was there to bring him back, then why not? He'd want to be on that plane to the world cup with the England squad. Failing that, bring in Zaha!

But, it won't happen, and we'll probably sign someone like Popov, who we've been linked with.

In his last season for us, I thought Young was too much of a showboat and he did dive a lot. He rarely got the call, either, and then would spend time sitting on the ground throwing his hands petulantly in the air, while the guy who tackled him (cleanly) ran on down the field with the ball. He was enormously frustrating to me. Although he still did get plenty of goals and assists, which I agree we could use. But he definitely does not strike me as a Lambert type of player and it would mess with our team dynamics.

I don't think this rumor is true anyway since he seems to be getting plenty of game time under Moyes, probably more than he did with Ferguson.

And I think signing Popov is a WAY better idea.

Â