What Music Do/Did Your Parents Listen To?

maqroll

My Dad - Led Zeppelin, Queen, Black Sabbath, Deep Purpler, Cream, Rory Gallagher, Free, The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Small Faces, The Kinks, David Bowie, T-Rex

My Mom-The beatles

I have picked up nearly all of my dads taste in music (apart from Brian Ferry)

My parents, considering I was born in 63 and they had a multitude of great stuff to listen to, were crap.

They hardly ever bought albums. When I got to my teens I had to buy my own, none were passed on.

These days they do actually go to gigs...but sadly it's stuff like Alfie Bow, Celine Dion or John Barrowman.

These days they do actually go to gigs...but sadly it's stuff like Alfie Bow, Celine Dion or John Barrowman.

Katherine Jenkins, Il Divo, Andre Rieu...? :)

The first two, yes - they've seen 'em both

My mum was into 80s music and also loved motown, can't speak for my dad as I've never met him but my grandad was into everything from rock metal country jazz classical and any other genre their is apart from pop, he's got a music room with his hi fi system and thousands of vinyl and cds in their, his favourite band was the stones and sabbath and he rates the stones as the greatest band ever, massive influence on my music taste, I remember when he said to me if you think zeppelin are good then listen to this and he put on the a band I'd never heard of before called mountain and it blew my mind, the only band he disliked which surprised me was the who but he still had a couple of lps of theirs, he can't stand pete townsend and he was also a rocker who disliked the mod scene, my gran bless her who basicly brought me up loved cliff richard, remember my grandad got her a cliff lp the once for xmas or something and although he brought it her he refused to play it on his music player for her haha

My Dad had a huge record collection that I discovered when I was about 13. He had a lot of different stuff, including Slim Dusty, a Country legend here in Australia. But this was the album I discovered that had the greatest influence on me and my musical tastes:

Creedence_Clearwater_Revival_-_Pendulum.

I became a bass player a few years on and the simple but pulsing rhythms of the Creedence bass player were something I tried to model myself on and taught me that something basic done brilliantly was better than something fancy done shitfully every time. 

• Like 1

My Dad (born 1903) never really seemed to be into music. 

My Mum (born 1914) liked "nice" (i.e awful) stuff. This was a particular favorite: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mla7PAG1JPs 

But she did have a sister who had a cool 1940s record collection (78s) - Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, Andrews Sisters, that sort of thing.

I've had a WAY bigger influence on my kids - they are massively into the 60s/70s stuff in my collection.

holy shit, how old are you?

• Like 1

My Mum (born 1914) liked "nice" (i.e awful) stuff. This was a particular favorite: 

But she did have a sister who had a cool 1940s record collection (78s) - Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, Andrews Sisters, that sort of thing.

I've had a WAY bigger influence on my kids - they are massively into the 60s/70s stuff in my collection.

I'm 59. Thought that was pretty much common knowledge. 

My dad was 50 and my mum 50 when I was born. 

I'm 59. Thought that was pretty much common knowledge. 

My dad was 50 and my mum 50 when I was born. 

40?

My old man was (is) a huge Bowie fan. Also The Faces, Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, ELO, and loves his soul music. Etta James being a particular favourite. My mother was a massive T-Rex fan, and also liked The Beatles, Stones and Led Zeppelin. They don't tend to listen to a lot of music any more, although I think they listen to Radio 2 in the car.

My folks aren't much into music ... The still have their original vinyl stack from the 80's and have never owned a CD player ( not counting PC's and in the car )

Dad was into the Beatles , Stones , The Who slade and Steeleye Span , my mum liked Cliff Richard

Â