What Music Do/Did Your Parents Listen To?

maqroll

My Dad: Classic Rock, Blues, Soul, Jazz, Classical

My Mum: Some Classic Rock (The softer stuff), Classical

It's amazing how much classical music I recognize but have no idea who the composer is. The stuff I preferred as a kid were my Dad's records, like Jimi Hendrix, Stones, Aretha Franklin, Beatles.

The classical was just too boring and grandiose, and I still think much of it is, but there is some fantastic classical music, no doubt.

My Dad (born 1903) never really seemed to be into music. 

My Mum (born 1914) liked "nice" (i.e awful) stuff. This was a particular favorite: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mla7PAG1JPs 

But she did have a sister who had a cool 1940s record collection (78s) - Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, Andrews Sisters, that sort of thing.

I've had a WAY bigger influence on my kids - they are massively into the 60s/70s stuff in my collection.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

My late mum and dad were active members in the local Choral Society so both continually watched musicals like 'Fiddler On The Roof,' 'Carousel,' 'Singing In The Rain' and so on and they would have after show parties at our house so i found myself singing along to those types of songs which i suppose is why i much prefer to listen to a song with a good melody than anything to do with rap music.

In turn my parents took a great deal of interest in my own music (pop rock) which i will always be grateful for and since my mother took piano and singing lessons from an early age she was able to pass that on to me. 

• Like 1

Dad (1942) - I actually have no idea... He had classical records, but I don't recall him ever putting music on of his own volition.

Mom (1956) - the more singer-songwritery aspects of my musical tastes (Buffett, Joel, Lehrer) are her legacy. Thankfully her tastes had ceased to really affect me before she got into early 90s country...

Oldies, both English and Chinese ones. They don't really seem to care about genre differences.

Don't think they take music as seriously as we do tbh.

Edited by legov

Oldies... Chinese ones.

Interesting. Traditional? Like this? Something else?

Oldies... Chinese ones.

Interesting. Traditional? Like this? Something else?

Nah, that's the shit my grandmother listens to.

This is more like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4pwrPmyEFQ

Out of interest, how did you know about Chinese popular music? :)

Edited by legov

I sold speciality music.

There seems to be a bit of a void in Chinese popular music.

Some of 60s gear sounds like it's from the 40s.

You could get traditional stuff. You know, bamboo flutes, bowed instruments and a squeaky voice or choir.

Then there was a bit of modern pop -

had a bit of crossover breakthrough a couple of years back.

Was just curious about what was kicking about in between.

The traditional stuff - Chinese "classical music", if you will - the stuff that's produced with traditional Chinese instruments, those are fantastic. It's not a genre I listen to regularly, but I always enjoy it massively whenever I hear a (good) piece of Chinese instrumental.

The stuff my parents listen to, they're great, but only because they make me feel nostalgic - I listened to those songs when I was a little kid. But it's just nostalgia - I don't treat them with the same level of passion I treat...music I listen to regularly. Once again, not something I listen to regularly, if at all, but I do enjoy them whenever I hear them played for nostalgic reasons.

Modern C-pop/M-pop whatever, it's utter crap imho :)

Utter, total, abhorrently horrible stinking shit.

This is one of my Dad's favourites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEx1QzGSYLE

My Mom has quite eclectic musical tastes but since discovering this following song she plays it all the time and it makes her a bit emotional haha -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6__HssHW8

It's this specific version she likes, I played her the original and she weren't impressed.

On a related note, I enjoy songs like this one purely because of nostalgia - we grew up singing songs like this -  but I don't appreciate them on an artistic level.

Edited by legov

My Dad's a funny one because he's constantly kept up with music. It was great growing up, going to a White Stripes gig and a BRMC gig with your old man knowing you're both enjoying it. Although growing up he was massive Stones and Dylan fan.

Me Ma's musical taste is chronic. She'll listen to whatever she likes. She loves Tom Waits, Joplin, Stones etc...on the other hand, she has Simon from Blue's solo album.

My dad loves Queen and followed them on their tour of UK Castles.

When Brian May did his solo tour (which was basically a guitar solo version of Bohemian Rhapsody and that **** Ford advert done start of show, mid show and as the encore), he made me tag along.

Evening couldn't have been worse, he insisted we went by train so he could have a pint, train was delayed.

We marched into a pub and before we got to the bar it was patently a gay bar, now I have to walk back out of a gay bar with a man 20 years my senior.

The gig was in an ice rink that had all the acoustic properties of the metal shed it actually was.

It's why he had to die. Nobody would convict me on that.

• Like 1

Dad was into Small; Faces, Kinks, Stones and bands of that ilk and era

Mom wasn't really into music bar the odd Cliff Richard and Alison Moyet cassette she had!

Â