Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Guys don't worry. We'll have all summer to get in the right AM we need and not a short term fix. We look comfortable at the moment, we have an in form beast and maybe Bacuna can play the 'Hoolahan' role in the coming games. Bertrand will be a solid signing. I think we'll be alright. 

• Like 2

Hopefully the thought process isn't:

Bacuna plays in the hole + Villa wins = We don't need a number 10

I'd imagine any excuse not to cough up some money is good enough for the board so yeah, that thought process is likely.

• Like 1

No surprise if we don't bring anybody else in, we are in a comfortable position in the league so the urgency is not as desperate as it was a few weeks ago.

Surely the object of a transfer window is to improve not just to sign players when you're worried about relegation. We have a manager who wanted to sign players.

The object of the January window is to sign players that can help you towards your goal for that particular season. In our case we're not going down, we won't be going to Europe next season either. So if the players we want aren't available to us, so be it.

I'm glad it's over.

• Like 1

But passing on so called info that then proves to be bollocks isn't very helpful is it ?

A meteorologist might tell us that the sun is coming out tomorrow and I'll be a bit pissed off if pisses down while I'm wearing shorts. Doesn't make them liars, sometimes information is wrong.

Funny how they didn't mention Ryan Bertrand though isn't it? ITK my arse

Oh leave it alone ffs! These are two respectable posters who simply passed on information from a source deemed reliable. The bitter throwing toys out of pram "ITK my arse" jibes are getting old now.

1 good player, 1 shit player, not top bad. Well end comfortably mid table. Hoppfully there will be some better players available this summer! Glad we didnt get hoolahan.

Some Comments on here makes me scared of people

• Like 1

Assuming we stay up (which we should), the summer will be huge.  I understand not splashing out in January completely as we're not going to push on to any material extent this season, but something needs to happen in the summer.

The thing is, the manager hasn't been backed. For over a month he has said he wants a number 10, we knew this anyway because we were in for them in the Summer. Earlier this month he stated that he had many targets for the position, he then stated that it is an expensive position to fill and from the targets he had identified no deals could be struck. We then have had the Hoolahan saga but we couldn't even get him, in fact we probably never would have.

This is the worry for me, I didn't expect us to splash out, but I did expect the manager to be backed. We've brought in two loan deals, that pretty much says it all about our financial situation. We aren't safe yet by a long shot, fair enough we are getting there but if the manager of the team believes we need a certain type of player then you'd expect him to be backed to bring said player in so that we can secure safety and push ourselves up the league. The fact that after we signed Bertrand on loan Lambert had to come forward and say we may not be able to afford him in the Summer speaks volumes about the ambition of the board.

Exacto.

I believe clubs back managers with funds per season not per window, in response to some comments on here.

I don't think that is the case, I think January is a time to see if improvements are needed and it is impossible to know whether or not they will be at the start of the season.

Just imagine, if Kozak hadn't have got injured then we would've signed Bertrand on loan and that would have been it.

But passing on so called info that then proves to be bollocks isn't very helpful is it ?

A meteorologist might tell us that the sun is coming out tomorrow and I'll be a bit pissed off if pisses down while I'm wearing shorts. Doesn't make them liars, sometimes information is wrong.

Funny how they didn't mention Ryan Bertrand though isn't it? ITK my arse

mate you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not saying your wrong. All I am saying is that there are some very respected posters on here that do not post for effect, so its my opinion that maybe they recieved info that they believed to be correct as opposed to seeking attention. Just my opinion pal..

No surprise if we don't bring anybody else in, we are in a comfortable position in the league so the urgency is not as desperate as it was a few weeks ago.

Surely the object of a transfer window is to improve not just to sign players when you're worried about relegation. We have a manager who wanted to sign players.
The object of the January window is to sign players that can help you towards your goal for that particular season. In our case we're not going down, we won't be going to Europe next season either. So if the players we want aren't available to us, so be it.

I'm glad it's over.

Bit short term thinking. I'm sure when Newcastle signed good players last January they didn't just think about the present season.

Assuming we stay up (which we should), the summer will be huge.  I understand not splashing out in January completely as we're not going to push on to any material extent this season, but something needs to happen in the summer.

The thing is, the manager hasn't been backed. For over a month he has said he wants a number 10, we knew this anyway because we were in for them in the Summer. Earlier this month he stated that he had many targets for the position, he then stated that it is an expensive position to fill and from the targets he had identified no deals could be struck. We then have had the Hoolahan saga but we couldn't even get him, in fact we probably never would have.

This is the worry for me, I didn't expect us to splash out, but I did expect the manager to be backed. We've brought in two loan deals, that pretty much says it all about our financial situation. We aren't safe yet by a long shot, fair enough we are getting there but if the manager of the team believes we need a certain type of player then you'd expect him to be backed to bring said player in so that we can secure safety and push ourselves up the league. The fact that after we signed Bertrand on loan Lambert had to come forward and say we may not be able to afford him in the Summer speaks volumes about the ambition of the board.

Good post and this is an obvious problem - although not many deals are struck for affordable yet classy attacking midfielders in January.  This is why summer is huge, if Lambert isn't backed by Lerner (or whoever else may be there), that speaks volumes about the ambition of the board.  They might think they've done enough to survive this season and therefore aren't paying over the odds.

The thing you don't want is Lambert getting frustrated...

If we do genuinely have an option to buy in Bertrand's contract then I'd consider this January to be acceptable. I like the look of him.

Very sensible post that,

Didnt someone official confirm that? Or did i just dream it?

Good post and this is an obvious problem - although not many deals are struck for affordable yet classy attacking midfielders in January.  This is why summer is huge, if Lambert isn't backed by Lerner (or whoever else may be there), that speaks volumes about the ambition of the board.  They might think they've done enough to survive this season and therefore aren't paying over the odds.

The thing you don't want is Lambert getting frustrated...

Especially considering he'll have just one year left on his contract. If he isn't backed, what happens if he walks or decides he'll go to another club, we'll need a new manager who will have to work with a squad built by somebody else and they'll be little money to improve/change it. I'm sure they'll be plenty of managers lining up to join us should he depart.

Â