Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

The debate on Holtby's wages is skewed by his signing for Spuds for a relative pittance. In short, either he got a massive signing on fee (in lieu of the transfer fee) or his wages are inflated over his contract to represent that 'fee'.

If Spuds want to sell him, either:

1. They want a realistic fee, in which case they are probably going to have to pay up a lot of his contract and Holtby should take a more realistic salary considering his level and ability; or
  2. They give him away, and Holtby can continue to command an inflated salary as a result

This is why players have all the power now, and we must not fall into this trap.

The debate on Holtby's wages is skewed by his signing for Spuds for a relative pittance. In short, either he got a massive signing on fee (in lieu of the transfer fee) or his wages are inflated over his contract to represent that 'fee'.

1. They want a realistic fee, in which case they are probably going to have to pay up a lot of his contract and Holtby should take a more realistic salary considering his level and ability; or
  2. They give him away, and Holtby can continue to command an inflated salary as a result

This is why players have all the power now, and we must not fall into this trap.

I don't see how £4.5m roughly is an unrealistic fee for him though, he is 23 years of age and a German international, a top quality player who is simply out of favour at his current club. £4.5m is a bargain in this day and age and a wage of around £50k isn't really inflated in this day and age (for the Premier League) either unless the club buying said player is Aston Villa.

Wasn't he out of contract in the summer so Schalke cashed in on basically "any money" from Spurs?  Not sure the wages make up for a small transfer fee or anything.

If I'm completely honest, I'd be amazed that he's actually on 60-70k a week given the nature of both Daniel Levy and the bit part he's played for Spurs.

I'd be stunned if we pulled off getting him though.  Absolutely stunned.

I don't see how £4.5m roughly is an unrealistic fee for him though, he is 23 years of age and a German international, a top quality player who is simply out of favour at his current club. £4.5m is a bargain in this day and age and a wage of around £50k isn't really inflated in this day and age (for the Premier League) either unless the club buying said player is Aston Villa.

I didn't mean to say it was. It was a general point that Holtby's (and other players) wages will be dependent upon exact circumstances, and sometimes it would make them unrealisitic targets. This can be why clubs (including us!) end up with players sat in the reserves for years.

Wasn't he out of contract in the summer so Schalke cashed in on basically "any money" from Spurs?  Not sure the wages make up for a small transfer fee or anything.

If I'm completely honest, I'd be amazed that he's actually on 60-70k a week given the nature of both Daniel Levy and the bit part he's played for Spurs.

I'd be stunned if we pulled off getting him though.  Absolutely stunned.

I would be stunned if a player moving a on free, or massively reduced fee, didn't take advantage in their contract. Why wouldn't they?

What sort of agent wouldn't realise, for example, Spuds have saved £5m in transfer fee and ask for that (or most of it) be given to his player? Of course the club can sign someone else, but they would then have to pay a transfer fee and still pay the wages!

I am pretty sure this is how Sol Campbell ended up on something like £100k per week at Arsenal in 2001. I'll bet there are better examples.

Anyway, doubt were getting Holtby, and am worried were getting no-one.

Edited by Pez1974

This O'Kane nonsense should be just that...idle nonsense.

You are going to be dissapointed then.

I agree though, we should be looking at players like Holtby.

talking about Holtby on here is a waste of time, There must have been a lot of people in comas for the last few years.

We have no money!

Admittedly, but it does raise spirits.....and it beats trawling through page after page of the latest Championship and beyond starlets? We are skint....but we are also a Premier League side and so should be at least aiming for players capable of keeping us there.

Salary caps are nonsensical in football.

You have to, and should, pay the better players more money.

Just like in business.

And the other players, out of envy or otherwise, have to, and will, try to improve their play to increase their own salary.

Just like in business.

Competition is what makes business thrive.

For what it is worth, my opinion is that there is no wage cap at Villa, just a determination not to make the same mistakes again.

This O'Kane nonsense should be just that...idle nonsense.

You are going to be dissapointed then.

I agree though, we should be looking at players like Holtby.

What's your...

The-sauce-selection.jpg

a good one ;)

Â