Randy's 12 Month No Show ?

smetrov

For sure Houllier was simply not up to the job and his heart and mind was never really with the club due to health and his affinity with the Scousers, As for McCleish? well that was simply unreal it has to be said. Virtually destroyed the club that but at least he maintained our Prem staus i guess...just.

It's really not surprising we struggle to fill Villa Park is it when you look at all this bizarreness...

Going back to belief being an issue in my opinion i have to ask just what is the medium to long term plan for Aston Villa? Anybody know? I mean i think the short term plan is to run the club on a shoestring and hopefully manage to stay in the Prem whilst we hopefully get a decent team together?...eventually.

I sometimes wonder if its even that. Remember last Jan when were starring down the relegation barrel ? - Lerner backed his manager to the tune of £1.5m........ was he bothered if we went down ?

We spent very little last Jan yea - but I think we eventually showed that we didn't need to spend anymore at that point. Obviously they wernt to know that but someone somewhere must have had trust in the players we had.

I do think a relegation was seriously considered to be an acceptable part of the "plan" although if we could avoid it then great.

But the question still remains... Does anybody have a clue what the medium to long term plan is for Aston Villa? I think it's very relevant as how can you believe in something if you don't really know quite what it is your'e supposed to be believing? 

I genuinely think first and foremost -" Balance the books" - then do" whatever you can" with the team - i don;t think there is much more of a plan than that. As for new stands, new players or any initiative to boost the club upwards - we are pretty much where we are. 

Edited by smetrov

but all in all that was one of the worst season's performances by a manager  I have witnessed for a long time and it sometimes maybe gets overlooked because of the nightmare that followed under McLeish.

That's very much because the McLeish season WAS worse. I have actually already forgotten that season because I have erased it out of my mind; it didn't happen.

Question to all in this post.

What are the 5 positive things about Randy's leadership and management since 2010?

What are the 5 most negative things in that time?

The reason I chose that date is because Randy (quite rightly (it seemed) at the time) got praise for his first 3 years, so I am wondering what the positives are for the following three?

Positive:

Lambert, signing Benteke to another contract, some good sponsorships, continuing the support of Acorns, other good community work.

Negative:

McLeish, wasiting money on sacking managers, giving Lambert 10m net to spend when he needed to bring quality in, restriction of finances to the point we have fallen behind a lot of teams and are now miles away from Everton who were level with us three years ago, Stephen Ireland (signed with no manager in charge).

Positives. 

1. Investing in redevelopment of Bodymore Heath into one of the best facilities in the Country

2. 130 mil loan to club for investment in  transfers

3. Welcoming our greatest ever manager Ron Saunders back to the club after the shocking way he was treated by the former owner

Negatives: 

The title of this thread.

• Like 1

This talk of us not being able to break into the top 6 or 7 due to financial reasons seems a bit spurious when you consider Everton , who I see as being the same stature as us , seem to be progressing well even though they too apparently have no money . Only differnce is they remained stable through the rougher times and now its paying off . The same accusations were being thrown at Kenright as Lerner is receiving now . Maybe the only solution is patience .

• Like 1

Negatives:

McLeish

McLeish

McLeish

McLeish

McLeish

Not only was it completely unintelligible from a purely football perspective, it was an enormous insult to the fans. After doing some good things for the fans in his first few years why destroy all of that goodwill with such a bizarre decision? I had quite a good opinion of Lerner before that, but that was pretty much unforgivable. It basically said 'this is my club and i'll do what I like with it', which was the exact opposite of his attitude when he first bought the club. 

Basically it showed terrible judgement and a contempt for the fans. His judgement has always been a bit suspect, but at least I thought he had our best interests at heart.

Still can't believe it happened. Still makes me angry now.

Bit of an epiphany: I'm real tired of this shit now. We're such a nothing football club at the moment. Even as a fan it's hard to stay enthused by this nothingy shite. Is it ever gonna end??? When will we actually have ANY purpose????? We're just an extra playing 'Team 17' in the big budget production 'The Premier League'.

• Like 1

Needs to sell asap, doesn't seem interested at all e.g. his no-show for the last 12 months and his lack of funding for PL.

It amazing that owner who does everything to demonstrate that he he no interest in the club - is still seen as a viable owner by so many. He has a history of 'faddy' projects - ie he's all up for it one minute - then gets bored and leaves it to rot.  He did the same thing with a house\mansion - spents loads restoring it - then just let it drift back to its former state - doesn't bode well for us......!

• Like 1

Not that you can expect anything else from a giant PR machine, but I'm so tired of reading all the phoney 'positive' articles on avfc.co.uk. We all know we're shite and yet they keep telling us over and over how great things are

His choices for staff have been horrendous, lambert aside but lets face it we haven't been amazing under him either. Irresponsible spending when he first arrived that he obviously didn't think through and now were suffering the consequences buying inexperienced cheap players. Can't say mcleish enough because asl ong as hes here he'll never live that down, dont know what the man was thinking to this day.

Could be far far worse of course but it doesnt mean hes exempt from criticism, just needs to attend some games and show a bit of ambition.

Bit of an epiphany: I'm real tired of this shit now. We're such a nothing football club at the moment. Even as a fan it's hard to stay enthused by this nothingy shite. Is it ever gonna end??? When will we actually have ANY purpose????? We're just an extra playing 'Team 17' in the big budget production 'The Premier League'.

This echoes my feelngs at the moment too - well said

This echoes my feelngs at the moment too - well said

Yup, we're just making up the numbers.

A nice name club with nice(ish) kit's 

I think his plan is to get this club back to the same stage as when he bought it. Clear the debts and then sell it on our someone promising a brighter future. Once the debts are cleared he will have a much better chance of getting rid of us.

As far as Lambert is concerned, I don't think there was any great visionary moment there other than to get in a manager who has history of working well within a small budget and getting teams to perform beyond their expected levels.

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

Â