Getting older

villaguy

Just now, bickster said:

I think we need video surveillance to be streamed live on VT :D 

I'm having visions of the whole thing descending into an old codgers' drunken brawl. Could have a certain entertainment value, I suppose. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I'm having visions of the whole thing descending into an old codgers' drunken brawl. Could have a certain entertainment value, I suppose. 

At least they won't be knocking each others teeth out, as they can be removed before the brawl starts

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 25/10/2023 at 11:18, Rds1983 said:

Found a grey hair in my beard.

Oh well, guess it's better than finding ginger ones there.

Try finding one in your ginger one! Now I'd settle for finding a ginger one in my grey one. ;) image.png.08e3ac3f54598703258b2ec1b5dbee11.png

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I was going to refer to opening Pandora's box, but realised I'd get a barrage of Kenneths. 

Interestingly enough and nothing to do with old codgers mauling over who shagged who 50 years ago......or even Kenneth!

Pandora's box.......apparently after the mutiny on the Bounty, the Navy commissioned a ship called the Pandora to sail out and capture the mutineers. They managed to capture a fair few of them and put them into a special pre - constructed prison cell, shaped like a box on the ship. The Pandora ran aground on the way back to the UK and as it sank they had to open Pandora's box, to let the mutineers out rather than let them go down with the ship, although some did not get out in time and drowned.

Hence the saying opening Pandora's Box.......it might be a load of bo$$ocks though...............but the story is in fact true....

Have a great party (21 again)....

All the best

Derek (65 1/2 yo)

17 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Interestingly enough and nothing to do with old codgers mauling over who shagged who 50 years ago......or even Kenneth!

Pandora's box.......apparently after the mutiny on the Bounty, the Navy commissioned a ship called the Pandora to sail out and capture the mutineers. They managed to capture a fair few of them and put them into a special pre - constructed prison cell, shaped like a box on the ship. The Pandora ran aground on the way back to the UK and as it sank they had to open Pandora's box, to let the mutineers out rather than let them go down with the ship, although some did not get out in time and drowned.

Hence the saying opening Pandora's Box.......it might be a load of bo$$ocks though...............but the story is in fact true....

Have a great party (21 again)....

All the best

Derek (65 1/2 yo)

According to Hesiod, when Prometheus stole fire from heaven, Zeus, the king of the gods, took vengeance by presenting Pandora to Prometheus' brother Epimetheus. Pandora opened a jar left in her care containing sickness, death and many other unspecified evils which were then released into the world. Though she hastened to close the container, only one thing was left behind – usually translated as Hope, though it could also have the pessimistic meaning of "deceptive expectation".

From this story has grown the idiom "to open a Pandora's box", meaning to do or start something that will cause many unforeseen problems. A modern, more colloquial equivalent is "to open a can of worms".

Wikipedia

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

when i was 27, a colleague at work (who was probably in his late 40 / early 50s at the time), said something to me that has forever stuck in my mind (so this was roughly 15 years ago now).

he said...

"you know you are old, when you look a beautiful woman up and down, and she looks back at you like you are a dirty old man".

Pretty much sums up getting older tbf.

The other one that i have found to be true, is:

"The body ages, but the mind doesnt".

now, although your mind/brain/soul or whatever does get older in terms of experience, maturity etc, i also think this is true, your brain still "thinks" of itself as young, you can feel young in your mind, its just the body that is like....."LOL NOPE YOU OLDER CODGER".

This totally 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You'd think at our age, these things wouldn't have to be considered, but some of the guests haven't seen each other for a very long time - and there are plenty of buried social landmines.

A friend got a big place for her 50th a couple of months ago. She set a group up for the invited. It was like WTF, not seen some of these for decades. Didn't he run off with her, then her? She was feckin bonkers. Those two hate each other. That one will be off his tits... etc etc.

It worked out well in the end. The most intense character didn't show.

• Like 1

My dad, ex army, now Holte ender in the sky, once said to me when I was a lad years ago

"When you get to my age son, you fancy their mothers not their daughters"

.....and strangely enough he was right, mind you at my age it's their grandmothers I look at now...!

9 hours ago, Xann said:

A friend got a big place for her 50th a couple of months ago. She set a group up for the invited. It was like WTF, not seen some of these for decades. Didn't he run off with her, then her? She was feckin bonkers. Those two hate each other. That one will be off his tits... etc etc.

It worked out well in the end. The most intense character didn't show.

I've been having a slightly delicate WhatsApp conversation with one of the ladies concerned. She's now a respectable grandmother, but back then was, let's say, a bit of a party girl. She was initially keen to attend, but is now getting cold feet, depending on who else may be there. I'd like her to come (KW), but now I'm looking at the list and trying to identify potential embarrassments... 

I wouldn’t be capable of inviting enough people to warrant a big party. Just haven’t kept in touch with people I’ve crossed paths with over the years. Any effort that was made fell away. Not being on Facebook plays it part I suppose.

As an illustration, the biggest WhatsApp group I’m in is ten people, myself included. I don’t really speak to three, maybe four of them. I was an usher for one of them and I haven’t seen or actually spoken to him in 4 years. 

Five of us went out for a joint 40th this year. I would imagine the same, older, faces will be there in 20 or 30 years time making up the majority of the party.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I wouldn’t be capable of inviting enough people to warrant a big party. Just haven’t kept in touch with people I’ve crossed paths with over the years. Any effort that was made fell away. Not being on Facebook plays it part I suppose.

I'm the sort of person that does make the effort to stay in touch (and yes, FB has played its part). But not everybody on the list is a lifelong friend - at least half will be people I've got to know in more recent years - two big contingents being (a) running club mates, and (b) musicians. Plus family, of course. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

...but now I'm looking at the list and trying to identify potential embarrassments... 

Wouldn't sweat too much, it's down to how they feel? They were invited.

12 minutes ago, Xann said:

Wouldn't sweat too much, it's down to how they feel? They were invited.

Oh, for sure. But it's in my nature to try and resolve personal conflicts. I did a lot of 'team refereeing' when I was at work. It'll be alright on the night. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've been having a slightly delicate WhatsApp conversation with one of the ladies concerned. She's now a respectable grandmother, but back then was, let's say, a bit of a party girl. She was initially keen to attend, but is now getting cold feet, depending on who else may be there. I'd like her to come (KW), but now I'm looking at the list and trying to identify potential embarrassments... 

Doesn’t it come down to who will still bear a grudge and who can just laugh it off as ancient history? I’ve had good social gatherings with people I had fights with in my teens and twenties because it didn’t really bother us after so much time, but then I’ve seen family members hold on to a grudge into their 90s and gone to the grave with it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Will there be anyone left on the list ? 😉

Â