What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

11 hours ago, Risso said:

I'm going to swap my Range Rover Sport soon.  It's a nice car, but the build quality on them, and especially anything electrical, is absolutely bloody appalling.  It's a shame, because the 7 seats are pretty much a necessity, but I think I'm going to have to go something German again.

I'll give you £6k for it and you don't even need to clean it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Most electric cars today are at least in part battery powered.

Batteries are getting better, but there's inherent issues with them that, when scaled to a full sized vehicle, get increasingly problematical, and we've slowly started to overcome them. You have to consider that the push for electric vehicles isn't even a thing 30 years ago, and 20 years ago it's high concept vehicles from the main players and that's it really, at best. Actually getting to the nitty gritty and producing a consumer vehicle is a relatively new thing, without much market to push it even now, so they haven't had the financial impetus to push things ahead.

But things are changing and will get better. Batteries as we know then now will probably end up being a halfway house, but in the meantime the push will be to increase efficiency and life span, and reduce size, weight and cost. And eventually be superseded entirely.

Solid state batteries are going to be a massive game changer. The original inventor of Li-ion batteries has developed them using sodium to be more energy dense, safer, quicker to charge and discharge, far cheaper, and better for the environment.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

The new design uses a glass electrode instead of a liquid one, sodium instead of lithium, and may have three times as much energy density as lithium-ion batteries.

The fact that these batteries don’t get as hot, charge faster and are cheaper than lithium, are real pluses as well.

Think the mondeo is ready for the knackers yard. All the power has gone and there's a grinding sound coming from around the bearing/cv joint. And the drivers door handle keeps seizing. Things are going wrong too often now. 

I'm looking for a cheap car near West Brom if anyone hears/sees anything, aiming to downsize from the mondeo. 

Picked up a Focus on an X plate, 76k on the clock runs well and is in good nick.

Mondeo is being scrapped, that's another diesel off the road.

Edited by V01
words
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 08:20, darrenm said:

Solid state batteries are going to be a massive game changer. The original inventor of Li-ion batteries has developed them using sodium to be more energy dense, safer, quicker to charge and discharge, far cheaper, and better for the environment.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

There's supposedly significant skepticism about this claim. 

"If anyone but Goodenough published this, I would be, well, it's hard to find a polite word," Daniel Steingart, a professor at Princeton, told Quartz

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/03/21/054224/john-goodenoughs-colleagues-are-skeptical-of-his-new-battery-technology

11 hours ago, villakram said:

There's supposedly significant skepticism about this claim. 

"If anyone but Goodenough published this, I would be, well, it's hard to find a polite word," Daniel Steingart, a professor at Princeton, told Quartz

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/03/21/054224/john-goodenoughs-colleagues-are-skeptical-of-his-new-battery-technology

Absolutely. But

1. It is Goodenough

2. No one is disputing the readings they got from the experimental batteries, they're just at a loss how to explain it. People have suggested they've accidentally made Li-air batteries, but that would be an even further leap forward.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darrenm said:

Absolutely. But

1. It is Goodenough

2. No one is disputing the readings they got from the experimental batteries, they're just at a loss how to explain it. People have suggested they've accidentally made Li-air batteries, but that would be an even further leap forward.

Goodenough... how our standards have fallen. Chap is lucky he lives in the states I'd wager.

PCP or PCH? 

@darrenm will know :)

Nothing imminent but will have a £400pm commitment dropping off in the near future so potentially thinking about a new motor as my current beast is 17 years old and is powered by burning crude oil and small woodland animals. 

I would have no desire to purchase the vehicle at the end of the term (probably 3 years). PCH seems slightly cheaper? 

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

PCP or PCH? 

@darrenm will know :)

Nothing imminent but will have a £400pm commitment dropping off in the near future so potentially thinking about a new motor as my current beast is 17 years old and is powered by burning crude oil and small woodland animals. 

I would have no desire to purchase the vehicle at the end of the term (probably 3 years). PCH seems slightly cheaper? 

PCH seems the better option at the moment if you get a good deal. It just means you won't have a bit of equity to use as a deposit for the next one. But you get a better car for the money you pay each month.

There's not as much flexibility with PCH excess mileage though. If you go over, you'll have to pay it. PCP they can be a bit looser on it.

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

plus PCH you can currently get a fairly good deal on killer diesel. if the arse does fall out of the diesel market sometime down the line, well that's not your problem

Absolutely. If you don't have much of a conscience you can ride the arse end out of the diesel market and get some cracking deals at the moment, getting the dealer to absorb the huge depreciation in a couple of years.

Just picked the missus up one of these:

mercedes-benz-schwarz-edition.jpg

Well its about to be shipped from texas, even with shipping, it was 4.5k cheaper than a similar model here local (dealership is in a very affluent area).

Its fully loaded, and still has warranty, she has a mini, and it was a spectacle me fitting into that thing. My truck is basically a work truck, so we needed something bigger and more refined! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just ordered one of these, but with the glass roof and black roof rails.  Got 21" 911 Turbo alloys rather than these black numbers too.

Going to be a long 12 weeks waiting for delivery.

2017-Porsche-Macan-GTS-Compare.jpeg

I respect this purchase even though I hate those cars :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just ordered one of these, but with the glass roof and black roof rails.  Got 21" 911 Turbo alloys rather than these black numbers too.

Going to be a long 12 weeks waiting for delivery.

2017-Porsche-Macan-GTS-Compare.jpeg

Call me jealous if you like :D (cos there's no way I can afford a car like that) but that does nothing for me at all. Looks like VW Beetle SUV.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Going to be a long 12 weeks waiting for delivery...

kinell Rob, for the price of one of them you could have fgot a really nice, proper car :)

Crikey Moses!  Wasn't expecting the hate levels to be in the red! ;)

To be honest, I've always wanted a Porsche and never been able to afford one.  The business is going well so we're able to run it through that.

I needed something big enough for the nipper, her stroller, luggage etc and just felt I see so many Range Rovers, Audis, BMWs etc on the road that I wanted something different.  The reviews on the Macan all agree that it handles like a Porsche but has the benefit of being a nice, honest, family car.  Goes like stink for the size of car too.

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Crikey Moses!  Wasn't expecting the hate levels to be in the red! ;)

To be honest, I've always wanted a Porsche and never been able to afford one.  The business is going well so we're able to run it through that.

I needed something big enough for the nipper, her stroller, luggage etc and just felt I see so many Range Rovers, Audis, BMWs etc on the road that I wanted something different.  The reviews on the Macan all agree that it handles like a Porsche but has the benefit of being a nice, honest, family car.  Goes like stink for the size of car too.

I wouldn't have one as I don't particularly like how they look, hence my post above, but it's still a luxury brand and a nice car and something you're obviously excited about so no hate from me :) 

• Like 1

Â