What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

On 07/11/2016 at 08:37, Genie said:

One of the things that pisses me off, its a BMW 1 series - Not a 1 series BMW. You wouln't say Its a "Focus Ford" or a "Vectra Vauxhall"... just one of those things that bugs me :D

That's not right though is it?

Here's why: it's a BMW 118i (for example), sure.  But when you're talking about a 1 series, you're talking about [ a car from a ] model range, rather than a specific model.

So if You said you'd got a 4WD Toyota, that would be OK, so a series 1 or 1 series Beemer is also OK

:)

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

That's not right though is it?

Here's why: it's a BMW 118i (for example), sure.  But when you're talking about a 1 series, you're talking about [ a car from a ] model range, rather than a specific model.

So if You said you'd got a 4WD Toyota, that would be OK, so a series 1 or 1 series Beemer is also OK

:)

Which means he really just posted it in the wrong thread :)

• Like 2

The old man has unfortunately been taken into hospital, so I've had to make a trip back to Blighty this week. Have an F-Pace 2.0 i4 Diesel Portfolio as a rental and have to say it's pretty bloomin' nice. Decent amount of shove from a 4 cylinder diesel too.

Having said that, if i was in the market for an SUV, I'd take a new one over a used RR Sport as from some angles it can look like a £50k Kia.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

The old man has unfortunately been taken into hospital, so I've had to make a trip back to Blighty this week. Have an F-Pace 2.0 i4 Diesel Portfolio as a rental and have to say it's pretty bloomin' nice. Decent amount of shove from a 4 cylinder diesel too.

Having said that, if i was in the market for an SUV, I'd take a new one over a used RR Sport as from some angles it can look like a £50k Kia.

Can't help feeling that your rental is by far the secondary point in this post !  Sorry to hear about the old man and hope it's not too serious.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BOF said:

Can't help feeling that your rental is by far the secondary point in this post !  Sorry to hear about the old man and hope it's not too serious.

Thanks mate, that's nice of you. It's been a long-time in coming as his mobility has reduced to practically zero as a result of crippling arthritis. It's more for his safety as we work out a plan to arrange assistance so that he can continue his life as comfortably as possible, especially as he lives alone. Thankfully the rest of him seems tickety-boo, so could be a lot worse.

Doing a fair bit of whizzing around to and from his house, the hospital, various stores, the tip, etc.... so thought I'd treat myself a little. Nice car. 8/10 WB. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wasn't sure if it needed a new thread but probably fits here. I'm at the very early stages of looking to get a new car, which will have a priority of being practical value for money family car more than anything else and still to decide proper budget, what sort of finance or even new/used.

Has anyone used that Car Wow website? which you put what car you'd like and then dealers offer you a quote which is meant to save haggling. Some of the money off the OTR price is pretty decent, but do you reckon its better to go for the in-dealership haggle?

What it has probably helped with is finding out the brands that have a large bit of give in their prices.

32 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Wasn't sure if it needed a new thread but probably fits here. I'm at the very early stages of looking to get a new car, which will have a priority of being practical value for money family car more than anything else and still to decide proper budget, what sort of finance or even new/used.

Has anyone used that Car Wow website? which you put what car you'd like and then dealers offer you a quote which is meant to save haggling. Some of the money off the OTR price is pretty decent, but do you reckon its better to go for the in-dealership haggle?

What it has probably helped with is finding out the brands that have a large bit of give in their prices.

Carwow is very good at getting you good deals from dealers. To get that last little bit of discount you find the brokers such as drive the deal can go a little bit further. Don't bother with the dealer any more, They won't go to what you'll get from Carwow or a broker.

PCP is where you pay 2,3 or 4 years depreciation on a new car and then at the end you can either pay the fairly low price off and keep the car, give it back and walk away, or use the equity you have in the car (normally a few grand) as a deposit on a new car with that dealer or someone else.

PCH is the same but you pay less each month to never own the car. You're just hiring it. Lots of people do this now as they would only be changing the car every few years anyway and not keeping the car.

One thing I would say is if you're thinking of keeping it don't get a diesel. The market is about to fall out of them and you don't want to be stuck with a rapidly devaluing car. I'm really happy with my petrol hybrid but some people don't like the way they drive. EV is obviously quite expensive and you get the the range anxiety.

If you like VAG, the petrol Skoda superb, Octavia, SEAT Leon etc are all very good value when taken through Carwow. Go for the 1.4TSI petrol with DSG and you've got a lovely family car.

• Like 1

Was looking at the Tesla 7 seater on their website the other day, as having to deal with the Land Rover dealership over here for anything at all is exceedingly painful.  Knowing nothing about them, I had a play with the "build your car" configuration tool on their website, and it came in at over £150,000!!!  Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!  OK, it can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, but even so, it looks like a Hyundai!

The Model S is fudgingly expensive. The 3 is supposed to be the mass market EV.

That looks like it'll be going to the Koreans and the Chinese though. The first mass market EV with reasonable range is the Hyundai Ioniq EV. Considering that for my next car. Realistic 200 miles means you're happy with a 30 min coffee break every 3 hours of driving.

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Carwow is very good at getting you good deals from dealers. To get that last little bit of discount you find the brokers such as drive the deal can go a little bit further. Don't bother with the dealer any more, They won't go to what you'll get from Carwow or a broker.

PCP is where you pay 2,3 or 4 years depreciation on a new car and then at the end you can either pay the fairly low price off and keep the car, give it back and walk away, or use the equity you have in the car (normally a few grand) as a deposit on a new car with that dealer or someone else.

PCH is the same but you pay less each month to never own the car. You're just hiring it. Lots of people do this now as they would only be changing the car every few years anyway and not keeping the car.

One thing I would say is if you're thinking of keeping it don't get a diesel. The market is about to fall out of them and you don't want to be stuck with a rapidly devaluing car. I'm really happy with my petrol hybrid but some people don't like the way they drive. EV is obviously quite expensive and you get the the range anxiety.

If you like VAG, the petrol Skoda superb, Octavia, SEAT Leon etc are all very good value when taken through Carwow. Go for the 1.4TSI petrol with DSG and you've got a lovely family car.

How does PCP work when your term is over if you go with a broker? Would you have to deal with the dealer which the broker used for the deal? Or can you use another dealer/broker to get a price on the next car and use equity. I imagine being fixed to a dealer, that equity off one of their cars is possibly worse than starting again all over again from scratch.

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

How does PCP work when your term is over if you go with a broker? Would you have to deal with the dealer which the broker used for the deal? Or can you use another dealer/broker to get a price on the next car and use equity. I imagine being fixed to a dealer, that equity off one of their cars is possibly worse than starting again all over again from scratch.

Once you accept the deal the broker has got for you you don't deal with them again. It's all through the dealer as normal but they won't push anything on you because you've already agreed the price.

When it's the end of the term it's up to that dealer to give you enough discount to keep you as a customer otherwise you can take your car with equity to anyone else, after checking current discounts on carwow, a broker again etc.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Once you accept the deal the broker has got for you you don't deal with them again. It's all through the dealer as normal but they won't push anything on you because you've already agreed the price.

When it's the end of the term it's up to that dealer to give you enough discount to keep you as a customer otherwise you can take your car with equity to anyone else, after checking current discounts on carwow, a broker again etc.

Cheers, I looked it up myself after asking the question. Without looking I was thinking if you got a PCP you are stuck maybe with that dealer and definitely the brand, but I see the finance is really seperate and you could go for anything for your next car.

• Like 1

Got a letter from Audi. They've asked me to ring them about my car. I think they'll be trying to sell me a new one.

Darren, are you saying I could use one of these brokers for this? I have a car under PCP with Audi already so it would be an upgrade of sorts

I will most probably doing quite a bit of commuting in my new job. I get a cash allowance to spend on what I want but I am thinking of using it to do a personal lease. I am thinking something like a Golf or a Focus. Budget of £200 per month. Has anyone got any experience of leasing and any recommendations?

On 1/14/2017 at 12:19, Stevo985 said:

Got a letter from Audi. They've asked me to ring them about my car. I think they'll be trying to sell me a new one.

Darren, are you saying I could use one of these brokers for this? I have a car under PCP with Audi already so it would be an upgrade of sorts

Sorry didn't see this. Yep, just email them or ring them. https://www.drivethedeal.com/ They were great for me.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever had their cambelt changed on their car? I've just had VW phone me to tell I'm due for it to be replaced (I've just hit 60k miles). They want £400+ for so I'm imagining I can get it done a lot cheaper at my local garage. Any advice appreciated...

1 minute ago, Milfner said:

Has anyone ever had their cambelt changed on their car? I've just had VW phone me to tell I'm due for it to be replaced (I've just hit 60k miles). They want £400+ for so I'm imagining I can get it done a lot cheaper at my local garage. Any advice appreciated...

You'll almost certainly get it cheaper than that at a local garage.

However, if you have a warranty or a lease deal or something with VW then using a local garage may void that. It might not, but it's something worth checking.

Usually you have to use a garage that provide "VW Approved Parts" (or something like that)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Sorry didn't see this. Yep, just email them or ring them. https://www.drivethedeal.com/ They were great for me.

From your experience are their online automatic quotes fairly accurate? I'm not in a position to buy just yet so its more a case of seeing what I can get for my money, so not worth me getting in touch with them at the moment.

Just now, AlwaysAVFC said:

From your experience are their online automatic quotes fairly accurate? I'm not in a position to buy just yet so its more a case of seeing what I can get for my money, so not worth me getting in touch with them at the moment.

I think they got it about £200 cheaper than the online quote once I'd spoken to them. I'd say get a general idea from Carwow and then ask a few brokers what they can do for your chosen car and spec. Skoda and SEAT seem very keen to give big discounts at the moment.

Â