World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Clearly the common denominator is England is really boring..

Not really boring, not really.

Just not quite as rare a treat as Brazil or Costa Rica.

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Clearly the common denominator is England is really boring..

The football will be boring but I'd have thought the USA and all 3 of the European teams will feel like they can give England a game

There's definitley not an air of invincibility over England even if Southgate will stiffle the games and snatch a win 

Was looking through the past fixtures,  for anyone who rates Southgate, must have a screw lose. It seems anytime we come up against anyone half decent, we either draw or lose. That draw against Scotland in the Euros was particular poor from Southgate..

I Can't see us getting past any of the big boys. Again the team is good enough, it's just the tactics are poor.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Was looking through the past fixtures,  for anyone who rates Southgate, must have a screw lose. It seems anytime we come up against anyone half decent, we either draw or lose. That draw against Scotland in the Euros was particular poor from Southgate..

I Can't see us getting past any of the big boys. Again the team is good enough, it's just the tactics are poor.

Agree

But at the same time based on that draw we won't play a big boy until at least the quarter final so he'll get his crowd pleasing progress at a tournament again 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The football will be boring but I'd have thought the USA and all 3 of the European teams will feel like they can give England a game

There's definitley not an air of invincibility over England even if Southgate will stiffle the games and snatch a win 

England should be in 7-9 point range. Think it will be case of winning first two and then resting a few v USA who's 11 is good enough to get something off an understrength England team.

I certainly wouldn't say England are in easiest group of top seeds like many are as USA have some really talented young players now in many positions (even if the coach isn't very good), Iran gave Portugal and Spain really good games at last world cup and will be tough to break down and of course Scotland got a draw off England in the groups at euros and them or Wales will stick plenty of men behind the ball. Ironically Ukraine getting through is probably what Southgate wants as that was complete mismatch at last euros.

My bold prediction is Belgium in danger of going out as think Morocco and Canada could expose their dodgy backline and Croatia can still be a threat even if they won't get close to repeating 2018 feat.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

But at the same time based on that draw we won't play a big boy until at least the quarter final so he'll get his crowd pleasing progress at a tournament again 

I think Senegal would be tricky in last 16. You'd still have England as favourites but a spine of Mendy-Koulibaly-Gana-Mane is actually comparable to many european nations. Could be Dutch aswell who should be better than last few years with Van Gaal.

Knowing Southgate's luck though Qatar will fluke their way through.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

England should be in 7-9 point range. Think it will be case of winning first two and then resting a few v USA who's 11 is good enough to get something off an understrength England team.

I certainly wouldn't say England are in easiest group of top seeds like many are as USA have some really talented young players now in many positions (even if the coach isn't very good), Iran gave Portugal and Spain really good games at last world cup and will be tough to break down and of course Scotland got a draw off England in the groups at euros and them or Wales will stick plenty of men behind the ball. Ironically Ukraine getting through is probably what Southgate wants as that was complete mismatch at last euros.

My bold prediction is Belgium in danger of going out as think Morocco and Canada could expose their dodgy backline and Croatia can still be a threat even if they won't get close to repeating 2018 feat.

I'm holding out hope that Canada might even pose some problems for Belgium's backline. Could have been worse for them in Pot 4 I feel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I think Senegal would be tricky in last 16. You'd still have England as favourites but a spine of Mendy-Koulibaly-Gana-Mane is actually comparable to many european nations. Could be Dutch aswell who should be better than last few years with Van Gaal.

Knowing Southgate's luck though Qatar will fluke their way through.

The problem for England at the Euros is except Ukraine game they struggled to break down teams. Euros for me is a better quality tournament overall so a team like Croatia or Czech would fancy a game vs England 

Iran can be defensively solid without showing much in attack and Spain and Portugal struggled last time vs them. This could be a problem for England 

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

54c2ce97-b566-45e0-a181-9b23ccf9cc77.jpg

There are no words.

Bring back Piquet.

mascot-1986-pique.png

How fitting that a Qatari riyal is their mascot.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm holding out hope that Canada might even pose some problems for Belgium's backline. Could have been worse for them in Pot 4 I feel. 

Canada are so, so slow in attack. It's like they're running in a foot of mud. I watched their last few qualifying rounds and genuinely couldn't believe how bad it was. They were playing complete muck in terms of opposition, too. They'll be relying on worldies and tap-ins to score at the World Cup, and will likely be absolutely dismantled on more than one occasion. Like, honestly, I cannot over-emphasise how slow they are when they're attacking. They're the only team I've ever seen who can turn a 3 on 1 break from the halfway line into a 3 on 8 before they even get close to the box

Edited by og1874

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Totally.

Spain and Germany in same group ?!

Belgium and Croatia ? France and Denmark ?

I mean, there's easy groups and then there's England's group 😮

You see I don't see it like that. USA are generally a last 16 team when they make world cups now. They have strong side than in 2014 imo and they drew with Portugal in that tournament. Guys like Pulisic, Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie are all regulars for CL clubs and they have a few like Dest who's progress has stalled but could get a move in the summer and get going again.

Iran will defend but gave Portugal and Spain hell in 2018.

If Ukraine make it out of the european side then yes it does get easier but it's more tricky than England getting Panama and Tunisia in 2018 who were two of the weakest teams in the tournament.

Basically anyone would be happy to go in Qatar's group so I'd certainly say the Dutch getting them and Ecuador is a very good draw for them considering they were actually pot 2, easier than England.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I wonder which team will be convinced to take a dive for Qatar and at least give them a point. I dont think a host has gone winless before, even South Africa won a game and think the only team not to qualify from the group

I don't see Qatar qualifying (mind you I thought Russia would be hopeless in 2018 and they were a penalty shootout away from reaching SF) but didn't they do o.k at the Copa America a few summers back so could see them getting at least a draw off Ecuador who are average away form altitude. Plus african teams can balls up winnable games so Senegal beating them isn't a cert.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Fitness for those who don't play in it will be the weirdest thing 

What do you do with say John mcginn cos he won't be there :trollface:, give him 2 week holiday, 4 week holiday, play 1 friendly or a series of friendlies or what, do you give them time off but with strict fitness regimes and expect professionalism or do you tell him go to dubai and do what you want, will us being 15th or 5th make a huge difference to what our players get up to and what attitude they come back with 

I actually think we'll see some weird results given prem is restarting on boxing day. Imagine losing a world cup final on penalties and then having to play 3 games in 6 days or whatever over xmas/new year. It's taken most of the England squad six months to get over losing the euro final given the average performances from many of them this season.

If a team like Burnley stay up then they won't have many at this tournament so could just use it as another pre season and come out really flying for the xmas fixtures and they'll be a few other prem teams in that regard.

Going to be a strange old season next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, og1874 said:

Canada are so, so slow in attack. It's like they're running in a foot of mud. I watched their last few qualifying rounds and genuinely couldn't believe how bad it was. They were playing complete muck in terms of opposition, too. They'll be relying on worldies and tap-ins to score at the World Cup, and will likely be absolutely dismantled on more than one occasion. Like, honestly, I cannot over-emphasise how slow they are when they're attacking. They're the only team I've ever seen who can turn a 3 on 1 break from the halfway line into a 3 on 8 before they even get close to the box

They didn't have Davies bombing on from the left in those games, he makes a huge difference.

You're making it sound like David and Larin are lower league hackers aswell, both will get prem moves in next 18 months I reckon.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't see Qatar qualifying...but didn't they do o.k at the Copa America a few summers back

Won 0, lost 2, drew against Paraguay.

Trouble is, Ecuador are pretty dreadful too.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Won 0, lost 2, drew against Paraguay.

Trouble is, Ecuador are pretty dreadful too.

Only lost 1-0 to Colombia with 86th minute winner.

Were 1 down to Argentina until 82nd minute.

Guess goals will be an issue for them but I don't see them shipping 3-4 goals at all on home turf and with the inevitable dodgy ref calls in their favour.

Â