Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Vermaelen anybody?

Arsenal want rid for £5m apparently.

he wouldnt join us

had a shocker at times this season but i think he'll find some form again and be a great signing at £5m, can see him going abroad to a big club

Vermaelen anybody?

Yeah definitely for that price and get him to talk to Benteke to stay. One problem would be that should he play with Vlaar neither are that strong in the air

If we sold Benteke to Borussia Dortmund, would Andy Carroll for £12m be an acceptable replacement?

Carroll is stalling on a move to West Ham. Perhaps the agent grapevine is telling him Villa will lose Benteke, and he would rather play for us.

Wes? Would be interested to see what your usual thorough research reveals about Yannick Balasie?

I saw your post but didn't feel well informed enough to give a good judgment. I'm sure there are more people on here who can give a better verdict on him.

I think he's a promising player for sure. He has good speed, decent ball control but probably most impressive is his strength and size. It's not typical to see someone with his height and speed combination.

I'm not sure if he fits the way Lambert currently has us playing though. His rare speed/size for a winger should mean he should dominate more than his stats indicate he does - he's only got 3 goals all season. Now this may be down to a remit to supply crosses more than finish them and he's done ok there this season with 7 assists. He's never been prolific throughout his career thusfar.

If we stick with two forwards/wingers either side of a tall target man then I would ideally want them to have more of a proven goalscoring record before coming in to the side. That said, the goals may come if someone can work with him in a position a bit further forward than he's used to.

In all I'd say he's slightly more promising than Albrighton, who is the same age as him, just because of his unusual physical combination of height, strength and speed, but like I say he suffers the same problem of not truly fitting the positions Lambert had us playing towards the end of the season.

This is of course only my view on how we play. For all we know Lambert may want to play with true wide men more but was limited in choice with Albrighton's injury and what not. This could indeed all change in which case Bolasie would be a fair pick up - if Holloway would be willing to deal with us (which I find unlikely).

Edited by Wes

Definitely worth a look in the Danish league, quite a few players have come over from their in the past and settled well. Jores Okore looked good in both games against Chelsea as a CB and don't think he would cost the earth either

Just hope his middle name isn't 'Medi'

:D

• Like 1

If we sold Benteke to Borussia Dortmund, would Andy Carroll for £12m be an acceptable replacement?

Carroll is stalling on a move to West Ham. Perhaps the agent grapevine is telling him Villa will lose Benteke, and he would rather play for us.

ILWT. I know it sounds like a cop out but it's not.  Honestly if Lambert sees him as a suitable replacement then I'm OK with that. My only worry would be his injury trouble.  When he has played for West Ham he has been instrumental for them.  He just hasn't played enough.  He's like a modern day Duncan Ferguson... In more ways than one.

ILWT. I know it sounds like a cop out but it's not.  Honestly if Lambert sees him as a suitable replacement then I'm OK with that. My only worry would be his injury trouble.  When he has played for West Ham he has been instrumental for them.  He just hasn't played enough.  He's like a modern day Duncan Ferguson... In more ways than one.

I thought he was the new Mark Hately? :)

Carroll is a weird prospect because he's probably, alongside perhaps Benteke and Kiebling, the best Striking winner of an aerial ball in Europe at the moment. He doesn't have any kind of guile to trick someone though and whilst incredibly effective in the right scheme (hence why Big Sam is desperate to land him) he's always come across as rather sluggish and may not be truly effective as a counter attacking threat.

It would be hard to replace Benteke because he's really good at a lot of things but Carroll would be more than an adequate replacement with regards giving someone the ball and having it stick to them. It's just he lacks the same level of ability to link up play that Benteke has shown this season and would have to be surrounded by two or three more gifted finishers. You could say we have two of those already so it's not unfathomable to suggest he would work for us.

His injury history would also be a cause for concern.

No **** way!!!!!

I would be looking at trying to get a deal on the table for shawcross now Pulis has gone, start asking as soon as possible. Think he would be a great buy for us. Also this Douglas guy hasn't had a great season but he's not been terrible at all and i would definitely fancy him to improve our defence. Vermalinen (sp) would be a cracking signing but would just not happen, same to be said for Lescott. There is a CB who plays for Ajax i think? his surname starts with Alder, looks promising, and similar in almost every sense to Baker.

Would love to see someone like Cresswell at Villa, looks promising, would offer competition to Bennett and hopefully both would push each other to improve. Although have to say i think a lot of the things he's done well in the championship are purely because he has been afforded a lot of space and time on the ball. That goal a couple of pages back, my case in point, the defender nowhere near him. I also think if not Cresswell, Willem? only 19-20 i think? looks like Bouma re-incarnated

I'm not going to fully consider forward targets until we know which ones, if any, are leaving. but as far as wing forwards are concerned i would like us to at least try to sign Ince. Bolasie wouldn't be a bad shout, and Austin is out of contract this summer i think?

Finally, one player i would LOVE to see back here, and this may be more nostalgia and sentiment than actually being sensible, but Hitzlsperger is out of contract at Everton and they're not looking close to sorting out there managerial situation. i would have a punt for him, he'd offer something different in midfield. 

I mentioned Cornelius earlier today as someone who I think could play Benteke's role rather well. I'm kicking myself now for forgetting to mention this other Dane (in fact there's 3 or 4 stupidly tall strikers playing in the Danish Superliga right now), Nicklas Helenius of Aalborg.

22 years old. 6'5". He flashes good composure and placement with his finishing and for someone his size seems comfortable dribbling the ball at people.

Some stats:

12/13 - 16 goals and 7 assists in 33 games

11/12 - 14 goals and 8 assists in 32 games

10/11 - 5 goals and 4 assists in 29 games (17 as sub)

OYV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RT-L6UsP2c

Cornelius is the more talented of the two but this guy deserves to get some notice too. He has said in the past he would consider a move to England but would prefer a move to the Bundesliga or Eredivise, "unless a Premier League team showed genuine interest in helping him develop as a footballer." I think that sounds a lot like something we would strive to do.

Vermaelen anybody?

probably the worst centre back in Premier League this season and this is a competition with Clark and Cuellar. No way would I touch him

probably the worst centre back in Premier League this season and this is a competition with Clark and Cuellar. No way would I touch him

7jbMcl9.gif

• Like 1