Manchester United

BOF

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Guardiola would always choose City over United, more money and less of a challenge so was right down his alley

Why wouldn't he choose the job he thought he had a better chance of winning with?

Is there a manager in the world who wouldn't do that?

I hate this criticism of Guardiola. He's earned the right to get to choose big jobs. Same as managers like Ancelotti and Mourinho. They take the big jobs.

• Like 1

but the thing is he hasnt really earned the right to get these jobs compared to Mourinho and Ancelotti. Taking over a squad consisting of the heart of probably the greatest national team of all time and then throwing in one of the best players ever is not really earning it especially since Enrique is doing a similar job at the moment. Also taking a dominant Bayern team to 2 crushing Champions League semi-final hidings is not really a manager that has earned his pick of clubs

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

but the thing is he hasnt really earned the right to get these jobs compared to Mourinho and Ancelotti. Taking over a squad consisting of the heart of probably the greatest national team of all time and then throwing in one of the best players ever is not really earning it especially since Enrique is doing a similar job at the moment. Also taking a dominant Bayern team to 2 crushing Champions League semi-final hidings is not really a manager that has earned his pick of clubs

They were one of the best national teams of all time because of Guardiola, not the other way around. It wasn't Del Bosque who developed the players in that Spanish side.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

He's proved that he can take over a good team and keep them good/make them better.

He's proven exactly what the big clubs want. A manager who can come in, spend money, and keep them at the top. And play great football at the same time.

Pep will probably never take a job at a smallish club and build something from scratch. Will you be saying the same thing in 15 years if he's had similar success across his whole career because he's only ever taken good jobs?

of course I will because it doesnt make him a great manager in my eyes, when he leaves City he will probably go for the challenge of managing PSG or Celtic after it

I dont rate him like most people do and most importantly I dont like or trust him

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

of course I will because it doesnt make him a great manager in my eyes, when he leaves City he will probably go for the challenge of managing PSG or Celtic after it

I dont rate him like most people do and most importantly I dont like or trust him

I think your last sentence sums up your views on most things football :rolleyes:

As for the first bit, we'll have to call it there then. Basically what you're saying is nobody who only manages good clubs can ever be called a great manager. Which is **** stupid, imo, but if that's your opinion then you're probably never going to rate him so there's no discussion to be had.

well this is a guy as a player that failed a drugs test and was cleared on a technicality plus rumours of his doctors at Barcelona. Its like Lance Armstrong setting up a cycling team then I imagine people in that sport would be very worried

49 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I personally see the likes of SAF and Mourinho on a different level to Guardiola. What Mourinho did with Porto trumps anything Guardiola has achieved and probably will ever achieve in football.

Possibly. 

But surely the fact that Guardiola hasn't been in the position (and might never be) where he CAN achieve that shouldn't go against him.

If he won 10 Champions Leagues and 20 league titles over the next 30 years would people still be saying "yeah but he never made a crap team really good so he's not so great"?

Zatman apparently would. To me that's mental. It's like saying Messi isn't that good because he's never played for a team like West Brom.

54 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I personally see the likes of SAF and Mourinho on a different level to Guardiola. What Mourinho did with Porto trumps anything Guardiola has achieved and probably will ever achieve in football.

Ferguson stands alone for me.  Mourinho is brilliantly successful but I won't tell my grandkids about watching any of his teams unlike Guardiola.  I know he had things in his favour when taking over Barca but for a rookie to turn them into possibly the best club side ever is still a brilliant achievement.  It's going to be pretty hideous next season if Guardiola and Mourinho are both in Manchester.

So LVG spends about £250m to put out this starting 11 today. 

Man Utd starting XI: De Gea, Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Borthwick-Jackson, Schneiderlin, Carrick, Lingard, Mata, Martial, Rooney

That is true shocking. 

In order to start mixing it with the big boys again, I don't think it's too far a stretch to suggest that 7/8 of that lot need replacing. 

All things considered I can't remember any manager ever doing such a poor job (given the amount of money spent) as the one LVG has done. 

I'm really not sure José is the right man for the job either, is it fair to say that Porto was the only side he has completely built? Maybe thats a big harsh, but at Inter, Madrid and Chelsea the nucleus were already in place. 

With Carrick and Rooney coming to the end of their careers, Mata maybe looking to leave should José rock up, its a complete rebuild practically. 

Edited by av1

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Perhaps Potchettino would be the right man for building them from what they've currently got?  If they're going for Mourinho I'd just get him in now, no point in waiting til the summer.

is it really a Moaninho squad or his type of challenge? He usually goes for biggest spending team available and prefers a squad established with stubborn defensive players which is neither at United

They are shite but they will still spank us when we play them it's the law!

If it was not Sunderland I would have had a good chuckle at yesterday's game as it was I just had a little snigger.

They have money to spend so will be interesting who they give it to.

Hopefully someone useless so they implode and Old Trafford is full of empty seats.

Edited by S-Platt

Â