Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, Xela said:

People who are always off sick from work with colds/headaches/stomach aches. None of which is a valid reason to be off IMO. Some people seem to think having a fortnight off ill every year is extra holiday!

Must admit, it doesn't bother me at all, it's all a game, if people want to extend the sort of dog shit holiday allocation that you get at most private sector companies these days then I say fair play to them.

The flipside of this are the 'hero's' who battle all the elements and diseases under the sun in order to show up at work. The sort who love to point out how they haven't had a day off sick for years. These sort of clearings in the woods really piss me off and I like to crown them the heavyweight chumps of the world. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think in these situations, working from home is optimal, it's the 21st century after all, we have the capacity to email, send instant messages and attend meetings remotely.

The retarded British culture of presenteeism gets in the way of this though.

Hugely this.

The whole not able to work from home thing has irritated me for a long time. I think a large majority of people sat in traffic, using money, fuel and time, while pumping crap out of their 2 tonne boxes of metal for an hour to move from one desk with a computer to another desk with a computer is utterly retarded and massively old fashioned.

I don't even work that far away from my home so with a ~40 min commute I'm nowhere near the top of the 'should be aggrieved' pile. Some people drive for hours pointlessly.

I hoped that when the region was brought into chaos by the M5 closing the other day it would have brought a few more people out shouting about this farce but nope, now everyone is back in their routines, they're happy to carry on.

Execs need a shock to get them into action. I think it'll be when they realise they're losing lots of staff to other companies purely because of their WFH policies. Hopefully this is sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, I've thought of a plan which would effectively do the same thing quicker and I'm going to start a pointless petition about it. Every little, eh?

• Like 2

I'm lucky I have the ability to work from home, It was a godsend when I had tendonitis in my foot recently as I could continue working otherwise there was no way I could have made it into the office. I'd have had to have 10 days or so off sick. I wouldn't want to do it everyday as there are times I need to be in the office for meetings with different departments but once or twice a week would be perfect

44 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Hugely this.

The whole not able to work from home thing has irritated me for a long time. I think a large majority of people sat in traffic, using money, fuel and time, while pumping crap out of their 2 tonne boxes of metal for an hour to move from one desk with a computer to another desk with a computer is utterly retarded and massively old fashioned.

I don't even work that far away from my home so with a ~40 min commute I'm nowhere near the top of the 'should be aggrieved' pile. Some people drive for hours pointlessly.

I hoped that when the region was brought into chaos by the M5 closing the other day it would have brought a few more people out shouting about this farce but nope, now everyone is back in their routines, they're happy to carry on.

Execs need a shock to get them into action. I think it'll be when they realise they're losing lots of staff to other companies purely because of their WFH policies. Hopefully this is sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, I've thought of a plan which would effectively do the same thing quicker and I'm going to start a pointless petition about it. Every little, eh?

Totally agree. Many people spend 2,3,4 or even more hours a day just commuting to work. This is nothing but dead time. It's tiring and you can really achieve very little. This time could be spent working, or in fact, simply spent on dealing with real life issues (doctors, more time with your kids, more time resting, running errands etc). It's no wonder people seem to be so tired and stressed out, life would be better for most if they didn't have to waste time commuting into work every single day.

Naturally there are jobs where you simply have to be there, but the vast majority of office jobs (which make up a significant amount of employment these days) simply do not require you to physically be in the office every single day. From my experience I probably need to be in the office three days a week maximum and even that's a stretch. The only thing that seems to prevent me from working from home often is 'old school' preferences among senior management for the 'face to face' and other clearing in the woods-headed time wasters who put in meetings that are totally unnecessary, but they just want to be seen to be busy and doing things.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

On the working from home thing, you ask someone something and they say "oh chris knows that, but he's working from home today"... **** ring him then, he's not on holiday!

To combat all of this, companies just need to set people up with video calling. Choose anything, Google, Skype, etc. and everyone can just speak to people face to face.

Doesn't affect me anymore, thankfully, but I never wanted to work from home beyond the very occasional weather emergency. Once work invades your home space it's the thin end of the 24/7 salaryman wedge. Home is sanctuary from work crap. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Doesn't affect me anymore, thankfully, but I never wanted to work from home beyond the very occasional weather emergency. Once work invades your home space it's the thin end of the 24/4 salaryman wedge. Home is sanctuary from work crap. 

We don't have a lot of choice these days. The road networks just can't cope. 1 small incident and it falls over.

Please sign and share this if you agree:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121031/sponsors/yeBN5SC8O4w0oHrCsGWy

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121031/sponsors/yeBN5SC8O4w0oHrCsGWy

My petition:

Make employers pay tax on fuel used travelling to work to encourage home working

A significant proportion of commuters in the UK are travelling to desk based jobs where they operate a computer and a telephone. The road networks are buckling under the strain and the environment is suffering. By shifting the tax on fuel to employers, they are more likely to prefer home working.

Many UK companies have an old fashioned approach to home working where they think the employee may not be working etc so don't allow or restrict this flexibility. Meanwhile, workers spend hours sitting in cars, wasting time, fuel, money, blocking up the roads and pumping emissions out. If an employee is allowed to claim the tax back for the fuel used driving to work, the company can recommend home working to save money which is better all round. The government should make this policy mandatory.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Add this to the Trump one and the make MP's work 6 days a week one and you can see exactly why having something like this is just giving a voice to wacko's and nut jobs 

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Add this to the Trump one and the make MP's work 6 days a week one and you can see exactly why having something like this is just giving a voice to wacko's and nut jobs 

You don't agree with the idea?

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

You don't agree with the idea?

I assumed you didn't either seeing as you posted it in this thread :)

but no I think it's a bonkers idea 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I assumed you didn't either seeing as you posted it in this thread :)

but no I think it's a bonkers idea 

I created the petition so I kind of do.

I guess it's a pretty anti-Tory viewpoint really. Attempts to help the environment, health and people's welfare at the cost of a bit of power over employees.

I created the petition so I kind of do.

I guess it's a pretty anti-Tory viewpoint really. Attempts to help the environment, health and people's welfare at the cost of a bit of power over employees.

Which is all great in theory but you're kidding yourself if you think productivity wouldn't take a massive hit

42 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Doesn't affect me anymore, thankfully, but I never wanted to work from home beyond the very occasional weather emergency. Once work invades your home space it's the thin end of the 24/4 salaryman wedge. Home is sanctuary from work crap. 

It's all about discipline. I work from home nearly every day and I've never been a lazier bastard than I am now, nor more difficult to reach out of hours. 

I totally agree with the idea of increased ability to work from home (where possible) however I don't agree that a tax is necessarily the answer. The main flaw I see is that many, many people do not even drive to work, they rely on (very time consuming) public transport, so what do they claim? Rail /bus fare? It comes somewhat complex when you factor in the many different modes of transport and then the response a lot of firms will probably take to an additional tax in the first place (bigger incentives to hide profits, more of an incentive to hire less people and overburden workers with work load). 

My view would be to fix the employment law, they have already, in principle, allowed people to request flexible working (with employers having to give a written response if the answer is no). I think this should be made a stronger entitlement. Of course, if unionisation wasn't so low in this country that would be another potential avenue.

Ultimately I think the only way this will come to fruition is through a long term culture shift, let the dinosaurs of business retire/ die out and a more, in principle, enlightened bunch to come in and not see it as so much of an issue.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â