Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

It wasn't that bad, just the time to pass just came and went and he was still dithering. 

If we just remove all his options, and he stays motivated and wanting to score some goals - he could be an asset. 

This is true. He's at his best in two situations IMO:

(1) taking on his man down the left channel and cutting the ball across the box with his left foot, he doesn't really think about the positioning of those in the box he just puts it, instinctively, into a decent area.

(2) running in behind the defence from a through ball with the keeper closing him down quickly, again he doesn't tend to think too much about what to do, just very instinctively slots it (like his goal the other day). 

• Like 3

From memory, the last game I think he played well in was Baggies at home or Sunderland away under Tim Sherwood last season (can't remember which game came first), since then I can't think of a decent performance from him. Could be wrong though. 

He put together 3/4 decent performances. Then he got injured. Earlier in the season he scored 5 goals in a dozen or so appearances. Then nobody scored for about 4 months.

Lambert's first season he scored some crucial goals during the run in, he was as big a factor in keeping us up as Benteke in my opinion. He then took a season off it seems! I think that's the one that sticks in everybody's mind, fairly so. That terrible season when he looked lazy, disinterested, ponderous. Like he just couldn't be **** arsed any more.

He has genuinely been injured or left out for other reasons most of this season.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Michael118 said:

This is Gabby from 2010. Bulky and fit.

article-0-06693DA8000005DC-907_306x373.j

This is Gabby now.

agbonlahor-vardy-1024x512.jpg

You do realise he is older so naturally won't look as youthful right? He is hardly fat. lol. What's the point in taking unflattering pictures from certain angles and using them as examples, don't we all have them? By no means saying he is in the shape of his life but once again I think we tend to exaggerate a bit much on here.

i'm sorry, but the pictures don't exaggerate.  Only the conclusions are exaggerated (or not).  My conclusion from those pictures is that he is clearly carrying a lot more weight than he used to carry.  And that not all of it is in areas normally associated with muscle.  Now, I am too, but I'm no longer earning a living rooted in my athletic performance.

Sometimes, the drop in athletic tuning is counterbalanced by greater wisdom.  I'll leave it to you to decide if he has developed a significantly greater wisdom and understanding of the game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's a bit of a fallacy. He tends to have purple patches, 8-10 games.

Let's prey for that.

Doug I'm sorry mate but your dreaming for some reason. He really doesn't have purple patches of 8-10 games.Surely if he did wouldn't we might be expecting him to be in double figures every season ? When was the last time this happened? Please do tell. Look I know you will think I'm being churlish but l will be pleasantly surprised if normal service isn't resumed in the next game. 

I'm sorry  and I really do not wish to be churlish but I have to say one swallow does not make a summer

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

Doug I'm sorry mate but your dreaming for some reason. He really doesn't have purple patches of 8-10 games.Surely if he did wouldn't we might be expecting him to be in double figures every season ? When was the last time this happened? Please do tell. Look I know you will think I'm being churlish but l will be pleasantly surprised if normal service isn't resumed in the next game. 

I'm sorry  and I really do not wish to be churlish but I have to say one swallow does not make a summer

He was in double figures 2006/07, 2007/08, 2008/09, 2009/10 and 2012/13

• Like 2

Given our lack of striker options as a result of injuries and Hollis shafting the club we are relying of Gabby for the next few games.

IMO he is carrying a bit of timber these days and seems to have lost at least a yard of pace. Whilst the goal on Saturday was well taken he looked to me, at least, a little ponderous as he chased the ball down. A long way from the Gabby of old. Given the age he is he should, if fully fit, have the same or even better pace than he had when he was say 20. Im not seeing that.

It all academic really as we only have one sensible choice as our main striker at the moment and that is Gabby. Cometh the hour and all that….

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Given our lack of striker options as a result of injuries and Hollis shafting the club we are relying of Gabby for the next few games.

IMO he is carrying a bit of timber these days and seems to have lost at least a yard of pace. Whilst the goal on Saturday was well taken he looked to me, at least, a little ponderous as he chased the ball down. A long way from the Gabby of old. Given the age he is he should, if fully fit, have the same or even better pace than he had when he was say 20. Im not seeing that.

It all academic really as we only have one sensible choice as our main striker at the moment and that is Gabby. Cometh the hour and all that….

He has been injured for long spells this season too

1 minute ago, KHV said:

He has been injured for long spells this season too

Very true, if he is working back to full fitness that is good as we will see more of the Gabby of old. Maybe being the out and out striker will help too.

Conversely if this is now a fully fit Gabby going forward, not so good.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Very true, if he is working back to full fitness that is good as we will see more of the Gabby of old. Maybe being the out and out striker will help too.

Conversely if this is now a fully fit Gabby going forward, not so good.

This is not a fully fit Gabby, 100% sure of that.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

He was in double figures 2006/07, 2007/08, 2008/09, 2009/10 and 2012/13

I assume your taking all competitions into account ? As I make 2009/2010 the last time he hit double figures in the league, however I'll concede this is a mute point. But what I'll stand by is that if by DDID's opinion of him having purple patches of 8-10 games which  could be expected to yield around 3-4 goals per patch?then surely he should he hitting double figures every season and not us splitting hairs over league/cups goals? 

On 7 February 2016 at 10:37, Gary Thomas said:

He worked hard yesterday and deserved his goal, which was well taken.

I did notice in the first half when they had corners or free-kicks he dropped tremendously deep into the box to help defend. Now I know this is good defensive work, but isn't 10 men enough to defend a corner?  Would he better off staying up, hanging around the halfway line to give us an outlet and possible break? I am not criticizing him at all, Remi may have asked him to do this, I am just asking the question.

I agree but Gabby isn't too bad in the air. Gil should be on the half way line for me as let's be honest he isn't going to do defining a corner.

This may be incorrect as it's the BBC but they said it's the 11th consecutive season gabby has scored.

Im not his biggest fan but Saturday was one of his best performances in a good few years. If we are going to do the seemingly impossible and stay up he needs to keep performing like that for the rest of the season.

4 hours ago, sne said:

Here is Zlatan 2010 and 2015

tatouage-zlatan-ibrahimovic.jpghqdefault.jpg

He's 5 years older than Gabby, as good as ever because he changed the way he plays so his body can cope.

Of course you can't compare Gabby to Zlatan when talking about ability, but being able to be fit at 29 is no big ask for a professional athlete

Yeah, but how much does the ink weigh?   That could really slow him down.

• Like 1

Yeah, but how much does the ink weigh?   That could really slow him down.

True!

Although much of the ink in the second picture is fake, added for a refuge Child organization campaign [emoji4]

I assume your taking all competitions into account ? As I make 2009/2010 the last time he hit double figures in the league, however I'll concede this is a mute point. But what I'll stand by is that if by DDID's opinion of him having purple patches of 8-10 games which  could be expected to yield around 3-4 goals per patch?then surely he should he hitting double figures every season and not us splitting hairs over league/cups goals? 

He finished the 12/13 season in great form and there was a nice little stat with an England squad that summer where Gabby had more goals in 'X' amount of games than all four of the picked strikers together.

Â